Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Cohort size

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by briarrose View Post
    This sounds like the same model as our district, though they went back mid September. My DS is in 11th at a public HS. He goes two days a week in person. The other three days depend on the teacher, some like them to just check in while others will give a short lesson. Most of the teaching takes place during the in person days since the class time is longer. Students were also divided by last name. He has four classes this semester and will have his other four classes next semester. Three of his classes are small with 4-5 students. His biggest class is math with 12. We were also given the option of full virtual or hybrid. I'm glad we chose hybrid. His friends whose parents chose full virtual are not happy and hope to switch next semester. He loves this way of learning. It gives him much more freedom to budget his own time. I hope we aren't dealing with this next year, but I know that if he had it his way, he'd finish his last year of HS like this.

Our lunches are also free and grab and go, though we can pack a lunch which is what my DS does. Last year was his last gym class for high school so we don't have to deal with that.
    On the days the other cohort is in school and the other is home the ones at home are required to be online live. Wednesday is for all to be remote and type of delivery will depend on the class.

We safe certify their health on an app each day of in class learning and my kids do it on their own phones. Parents can also do it on the website.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Private school...

Cohort max is 16 students (no idea how many are actually in each cohort), classes max at 8 students. Masks required all day, except lunch (mask break rooms are available). DC are just happy to be back!

Public school, 6th grade in 5x per week half days with their special class (language, STEAM, etc.) done virtually when they get home. Teachers for their core classes travel so kids stay put. Desks spaced apart with plexiglass wearing mandatory masks all day long with exception of a snack break mid-day. My twins are two of 7 students in the cohort.

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Public Middle School and High School here. Both are hybrid, attending every other day. There are about 2400 per cohort in HS and 600 per cohort in MS. Classes are 10-20 students, masks are required, assigned seating in every class for contact tracing. Seats are spread out so that most kids are 6ft apart. There is a 100% virtual option as well and 12-20% of students chose that.

So far, the spread in school has been fairly minimal after an initial bump (probably due to returning from vacations). Talking with a coworker in a district that is 100% in person, they are also doing well with transmission, but have had multiple quarantines already because they are not able to social distance in the classrooms at full attendence.

While the hybrid seemed like a good idea, we find that the limited in person time is being eaten up by tests and quizzes instead of being used for instruction, because the teachers are afraid to give them virtually (even though the all virtual students have all their assessments that way).

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

So jealous of everyone that has an in person option (hybrid...). Ds2 is doing well otherwise I’d pay for private school (assuming any had spots) but he’s fine so I’ll save the money. But, in person isn’t happening in our district and won’t be for at least another month (likely longer). Having a choice would just be nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Private school... we don’t have cohorts for middle and upper school but they are at 50% capacity and attend in person every other day. But they switch classes all day so they are not in cohorts. Lower school attends every day but classes are split in 1/2 with the teacher being in one room and an assistant in other room. Teacher is broadcast in 2nd room and teacher changes which room he/she is in. Those cohort sizes are around 10 kids.

All wear masks all the time except while actively playing sports outside and eating, but most eating is outside. We have had 4-5 cases since August... TK-12 school with about 1400 students. Only 2 have required quarantining beyond positive student. The whole volleyball team and siblings did have to be quarantined though but no one else tested positive.

Public schools will start in person in November. They were planning to do three groups because they are all so overcrowded the would still be crowded with 50% of students there. But there were so many complaints that they are doing 50% of students attending. It’s a huge district. Our zoned middle school capacity is 1100 but there are 2100 that attend that school. So there will be 1050 students at 50%... so basically at original capacity with no room for distancing.
    Last edited by mmsmom; 10-21-2020 at 05:44 PM.

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS3 said he has between 11 & 20 per class in middle school classes
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Public school district-East coast

DS1-4th grader in Cohort A group on hybrid schedule with 2 single sessions at school, Wednesday fully remote with Th/Friday days as his virtual days with live and small groups instruction. Total of kids in his class is 21 kids but only 9 in his classroom on his school days. We have all virtual option for families too, so for them it just means they log in daily for live instruction with exception of Wednesdays as remote work.

DS2-1st grade in Cohort A group with 14 in his class but only 5 in his classroom on his physical attendence days. Middle school same set up in bigger numbers but they cap at 12 kids for in classroom which somehow works cuz there are also fully virtual families too. HS is completely different set up, but offer same options of hybrid or all virtual options.
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3