Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ray7694 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default How do essential workers stay calm?

My dh works for the federal prison and they now are having cases. He’s been exposed many times. I wasn’t scared until now and I’m an elementary teacher who just went back to hybrid this week. I am getting tested later today as I have stomach bug symptoms but any symptom falls into Covid. They are already so overwhelmed at the doctor office and we haven’t even hit flu season.

I’m so anxious and scared.

I don't really have any suggestions other than to protect yourself the best you can - masks and faceshields. Remember that other viruses are still out there so it isn't always Covid. And the vast majority of cases are not severe. We went through testing in August for an exposure so I know it's stressful. Thank you for what you and your DH do. Hugs.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

I trust that we have PPE and I know this is what we signed up for as healthcare workers. And then I let it go. You just have to. I am pissed at all the deniers who won’t wear their masks and at the federal and stat governments who shut down the departments that were planning for and stockpiling for this type of event. I guess I am more angry than afraid.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm a a nursing home, we had a mild outbreak about a month ago. Since March I change clothes before leaving work, wash scrubs separately, practice all safe covid precautions. I have two teens who are doing sports and back hybrid style at school. We have to live our lives and are doing our best to be safe. Cases nearby are sitting at 4.2% locally which is higher than most of the past few months, so we limit going out, but still socialize with a small group of friends.

I have a coworker who is very anxious, and she has needed to increase anxiety meds during this time. Everyone handles it differently, get outside as much as possible, seek out safe activities like hiking, walking, the weather isn't going to be too bad for awhile.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

*hugs* DH is in healthcare and sometimes has to work COVID floors or screening tents. It was really really stressful early on (especially as early on they didn't even have appropriate PPE for everyone). Honestly the biggest thing I kept reminding myself was that the vast majority of people who catch it are fine. I of course still took all precautions, but would constantly remind myself that even if DH or one of us got it, chances were exceptionally good we'd be totally fine. I also made sure to stop reading all the heartbreaking stories in the news about people who did die or get really sick, as it just made my worries worse. I don't know if it's a good thing or not, but it got better for me -- DH's risk really hasn't changed, but I'm far less stressed about it now.
    Lizi

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Basically, do all that you can to prevent getting sick, and then you kind of have to let the rest go. If you feel you've done everything you can, it should help some. We are doing limited contacts, being careful to get enough sleep, taking D3, eating well and balanced, got flu shots. (Not that I think flu shots will prevent Covid; but if you get one kind of sick, you are more likely to catch others.)

jent is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post
    Basically, do all that you can to prevent getting sick, and then you kind of have to let the rest go. If you feel you've done everything you can, it should help some. We are doing limited contacts, being careful to get enough sleep, taking D3, eating well and balanced, got flu shots. (Not that I think flu shots will prevent Covid; but if you get one kind of sick, you are more likely to catch others.)
    ^^^ This.
    Jen, mom to "Little Miss Tiny" 4/07

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Nurse who worked in Covid surge ICU: The anxiety was the obsolete worst right before we flipped and we were getting ready. Back in March there were so many unknowns. Once we started getting the first patient it was stressful, exhausting, sad, I wasn’t staying with my family, but it was manageable becauseI was doing something. Once you start you will be busy on getting a rhythm with a new reality. Just treat everything as a new challenge, apply your skill set, concentrate on the kids.

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    I trust that we have PPE and I know this is what we signed up for as healthcare workers. And then I let it go. You just have to. I am pissed at all the deniers who won’t wear their masks and at the federal and stat governments who shut down the departments that were planning for and stockpiling for this type of event. I guess I am more angry than afraid.
    Oh, sing it sister!
    My 2020 pandemic meme is Dany from Game of Thrones with a dragon. I just keep telling people (1) she wasn’t crazy and (2) every morning I wake up disappointed I don’t have a dragon.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have a friend who is an ENT doc in private practice. She's the calmest person I know and I'm not sure how she does it. Back in March she was super stressed, in part because of the difficulty of obtaining PPE and the nature of her specialty which puts her right up in patients' faces. She was limiting patients to only those who absolutely needed to be seen, etc. It has gotten better with the improvements in PPE supply and the increased knowledge we have about the virus and how it's spread but a new problem has cropped up...she's seeing more "regular" numbers of patients now. And the patients are STRESSED and taking it out on her and her office staff. Every day it seems she has a new story about how a patient blew up. So on top of trying to take the best care of people, they're adding to her stress level. I'm so sad for her. She's a mom too, so juggling her practice with the new challenges and her kids doing virtual schooling...I really don't know how she's holding up at all.

Hugs to all of you in essential jobs (not just healthcare but anything essential...groceries, pharmacies, plumbers and other contractors like HVAC, teachers and school staff, bus drivers and other public transportation, etc)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast