Default Favorite 2-player board/card games for age 11+

I've been playing games with DS (11) most evenings, and I'm looking for some new ideas. The ones we play most often are Sequence, Qwixx, Uno Flip and some Monopoly Deal. A few weeks ago we went through a real Monopoly phase, stretching one game over several nights. Someone recommended Taco Cat Goat Cheese Pizza, but it looks like that might be more fun for more players according to Amazon reviews.

Anything your family likes?

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Dragonwood
    Sleeping Queens
    Machi Koro (we like the Harbor expansion too)
    Jambo
    Bazaar
    Ticket to Ride
    Sorry (we like the version where you deal out 5 cards- really makes it more fun than just luck)

I might bring out Carcassonne sometime.
    I don’t like Blockus or Robo Rally but the rest of my family does.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My girls (11 and 14) love playing games together. They like Mancala, Kingdomino, Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert, Checkers, Chinese Checkers, Dutch Blitz, Uno, Clue, Sorry, Trouble, Yamslam, Spot It, and probably lots more, I can ask them tomorrow.

The girls suggested Labyrinth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by ang79; 10-30-2020 at 01:31 PM.

melrose7 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Lost cities
    Rat a tat cat
    Gin rummy
    Jenga
    Stratego
    Battleship

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Progressive Gin

These are the rules (can be played with up to 5 people). You need two full decks of cards including jokers.

Jokers are wild and are worth 50 points (if in your hand at the end of the round)

Aces are worth 20 points (if in your hand at the end of the round)

Kings, Queens, and Jacks are worth 10 points (if in your hand at the end of the round)

All other cards are worth 5 points (if in your hand at the end of the round)

The first three rounds you are dealt 10 cards

The second four rounds you are dealt 12 cards

The object of the game is to be the first person to “go down” and have no cards.

There is a discard pile and a pick up pile. Each person must pick up from one of the piles on their turn. If you have already put down your cards then you cannot pick up from the discard pile. After each turn you must discard a pile. Once you have placed your round cards down (example 2 threes) then you cannot pick up a card from the discard pile. If there is a card on the top of the discard pile and it is not your turn you can take that card if the next person doesn’t want the card; the card is considered a penalty card. You can have a max of 18 cards. You can place your extra cards on others hands that have gone down once you have gone down as well. If you can’t go down you simply discard a card to the discard pile. Once you have one card left after discarding a card you have picked up then you have won the game. You put the card face down on the discard pile. There is only one winner per round. You take turns dealing. If you cannot shuffle cards (I can’t) I highly suggest a card shuffler. The deck must always be cut. Okay in clockwise order. The cards are dealt to the person on your right.

Aces can go behind Kings or act as a 1.

Jokers are wild and cannot be used in two or three in a row. You must have a real card next to a joker (ex.: king, joker, king or joker, king, queen, jack.)

A run must all be the same suit

To score add up all of the cards left in your hand after the winner goes down. The winner will have a score of zero. The person with the lowest score after 7 rounds wins.

These are the seven rounds.
    2 three (of a kind)
    1 three 1 four (run)
    2 fours (2 runs of 4)
    3 threes
    3 threes 1 four
    1 three 2 fours
    3 fours

We have a lot of fun playing this in our family. It is a variation on progressive rummy, but the rules are different. Legend goes that a great uncle of a family friend made up this version of the game many years ago. I did a google search for progressive gin prior to typing this out and I couldn’t find this exact game with these exact rules.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-30-2020 at 01:30 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Love Letter is a quick, fun card game. My DH gave me the Japanese-themed version and my DD2 frequently asks to play it.

Zombie Flux and Space Flux are both a big hit with all my kids. We laugh every time we play it. My DH likes it okay but it’s not a top choice for him. Too silly (which is why the rest of us like it!)