Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

FWIW, my stylist owns the shop and employs one other person. My stylist had Covid in July. So, probably a different salon experience than a lot of you. I felt surprisingly comfortable there today.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Has everyone had their hair cut since March?

I have not. I have long straight hair so it’s not too big a deal. I went yesterday to a couple chain salons thinking I could drop in and get a quick couple inches off the bottom, but none of them had any openings anytime soon. I hope that means they aren’t struggling too badly for business. I need to make an appointment somewhere and go but I fear I may have missed the window of cases being low enough to be willing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I had mine cut last month, and just had my first 2020 pedicure this morning. My hair was out of control long (down to my waist when pulled straight) and the end were so dry they were irritating my skin! I go to a very small salon so it was just me and my hairdresser inside, with masks on the whole time and the door open. I never have her blow dry or style it anyway- i leave with wet hair and style it at home myself because my hair is difficult.
    My pedicure place was busy this morning but they had full precautions so I felt comfortable- i had to sign a waiver and have a temperature check, mask must remain on at all times, the manicurists all wear gloves, they have plexiglass partitions between stations and at each manicure table.

My DH and sons have had 2 haircuts since March and are going again tomorrow. Their barber shop is operating outside in the parking lot AND masks are required.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Yes, DD and I have gone twice since March. We do not do anything inside where we can’t wear a mask (except dentist). So we won’t do indoor dining but anything inside that is distanced, masks, not a crowd we will do. I try to remember that most transmissions seem to be being closer than 6 feet to an infected person for 15 minutes with no masks. We are never in that situation.

Oh yes. Cut and colored. Several times. Can't remember when I went back in....whenever NY opened up the hair salons again. Maybe May? June? July? I would imagine it varies across the country, but at the salon I go to, they seem to be taking solid precautions (masks, limited # of people, cleaning procedures, etc)>
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Can you share how you highlighted your own hair?
    Short answer: I used a kit from Madison Reed. It's sort of a different look than what I had before (balayage vs traditional foil highlights).

Long answer: My hair is naturally dark brown, now mixed with a fair bit of grey. I had been getting it dyed brown with red highlights (I have fair pink skin and green eyes). When the pandemic hit I couldn't stand the grey, so I started buying Madison Reed kits in my natural color. I missed the red though, so the last time I touched it up I used a redder shade. It ended up darkening my whole head to a very dark reddish blackish color. It was a little severe. So I bought the highlighting kit and I am much happier. I am fairly relaxed about haircuts and colors though. Hair will always grow out!

ETA: Other reasons I am still choosing home coloring are that it saves me a lot of money and time spent at the salon, which I would dread. My stylist moved away, so I need to find a new one and I hate that too.
    DS- 8/11
    DD- 5/14

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Like pinkmom, i've had mine cut and colored several times too. I went back for the first time in June. There is usually only two stylists and maybe 3 clients going at one time. She's usually got us all in separate rooms. Everyone is required to wear a mask and she has the windows open a crack too. It feels safe to me.

My nephew's wife has been coming over since May to cut DH and my boy's hair outside in our driveway. We pay her well for doing this for us.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

I had mine cut in May when the salons reopened here. They require masks and there were only 2 stylists in the salon at a time - and we had zero cases in our county at that point. I'd really like to get mine cut again now but cases are skyrocketing here and I'm avoiding all unnecessary indoor things. We're expecting 3-6" of snow here today so having it cut outside is unfortunately not an option. I have been cutting DH's hair and all of the kids for years so at least I'm the only one looking rather overgrown.
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    Yes. Cut, highlighted, everything, every 7-8 weeks since she reopened. She’s awesome and on top of things and I want to support her business.
    I feel the same way. I just found a new nail salon here and want to support them as well. I am driving an hour away to get waxed because I love my esthetician. Crazy, but I don’t want to go anywhere else to get a bikini wax.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The girls and I went to my hair stylist in July. My hair was last done in Jan. 2020. I started using Natural Instincts to dye my own hair in May when I was tired of the gray. I miss my highlights but have continued with the at home kit because it is much cheaper and I don't have to sit in a salon for 2 hours. My stylist owns her own salon attached to her home and has one other stylist that works there. On the day we went one of us went in at a time while the others sat in the car (I took the girls on a separate day from my appointment). They just got a quick wash and cut, no drying, took about 15-20 min. for each girl. I did a quick wash, cut and did get blow drying but it was just the stylist and myself in the salon at that time and we both were wearing masks. She said she has never cleaned so much in her life before but has to with all the guidelines now. I wasn't too uncomfortable with the circumstances and am considering going back again, but cases are continuing to rise again here with community spread. I don't go anywhere other than the grocery store and Girl Scout meetings and wear my hair in a ponytail most days anyways, so I can probably go longer without a cut. But maybe I should go before cases get even worse with winter.....

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast