Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

In our state there are many places to go get a free test, even if you are not showing symptoms, turn around time is often 24 to 48 hrs, our local one is usually less than 24 hrs lately. I can't see that being useful unless there are no test places locally.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

At this point, I'm not sure we would use this product but I love the idea of an at-home test. For it to be the most effective, I think along the lines of those proposed by Michael Mina, an epidemiologist at Harvard that would be similar to a pregnancy test. Being able to perform and then read it at home would be ideal as it captures that point in time best.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Have you guys tried to access a test as an asymptomatic person who just wants one for travel or the heck of it etc? I have, and had not good luck with it. Most urgent cares require you to have a visit with the practitioner and if you don’t have a diagnosis/symptoms they can’t really bill your insurance and will charge you $125-$150 for it. They have big disclaimers about your insurance maybe not covering your COVID test (though I think they need to by federal law).

I did have myself tested 3 times over the summer prior to staying at my parents’ beach house. It took 5-7 days to come back at that point so was basically meaningless. Not sure if turnaround times have improved.

If I could really just drive up and get a test and get the results in 24 hours I’d do it every week.

My county just started a test at home free saliva based test. I submitted my info Friday, should receive the test Monday. Then you test while supervised (on zoom I think). Mail back and receive results in a few days. I wanted to try it out to see of it would help for work. We have engineers who travel to jobs around the country. It appears now it is faster to send them to an in person test site.
    Sierra

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by basil View Post
    Have you guys tried to access a test as an asymptomatic person who just wants one for travel or the heck of it etc? I have, and had not good luck with it. Most urgent cares require you to have a visit with the practitioner and if you don’t have a diagnosis/symptoms they can’t really bill your insurance and will charge you $125-$150 for it. They have big disclaimers about your insurance maybe not covering your COVID test (though I think they need to by federal law).

I did have myself tested 3 times over the summer prior to staying at my parents’ beach house. It took 5-7 days to come back at that point so was basically meaningless. Not sure if turnaround times have improved.

If I could really just drive up and get a test and get the results in 24 hours I’d do it every week.
    In Utah, we have been told that all tests are covered by the state (I'd hate to see that bill...it will probably show up in our taxes next year). I'm not sure if that's true or not but we have done testing a few times and my sister has tested probably 5 times for work and none of us have ever been asked for payment or insurance info. Our personal insurance through DH'S job has said they will cover covid testing at any facility but I don't know if there is a limit on how many times you can test.
    Also, when you show up to a covid testing site you do have to go through a screening process. They will not test you if you don't have symptoms unless you know you were exposed to a known positive.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

You can get a free test from any of the Stop the Spread testing sites. You don't have to be a resident of that town.
    https://www.mass.gov/info-details/stop-the-spread

Otherwise, at the urgent care places you would have to pay out of pocket if you're asymptomatic. ($160 at the one in our town.)

Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

basil is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ett View Post
    You can get a free test from any of the Stop the Spread testing sites. You don't have to be a resident of that town.
    https://www.mass.gov/info-details/stop-the-spread

Otherwise, at the urgent care places you would have to pay out of pocket if you're asymptomatic. ($160 at the one in our town.)

The closest one of those is about 45 min from where I live and in the opposite direction from where I work. Plus they are only open a few hours a week during the day...

o_mom is online now Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Our state has a standing order by the state health commissioner for anyone to be tested, regardless of symptoms, exposure, etc. No doctor visit required. Multiple people I know test every time they travel for work.

Tests are free - they will bill insurance if you have it, but there is no copay/coinsurance and it is covered 100%. You have to make an appointment online, which you can usually get an appointment in a day or two - scheduling for a trip would be no big deal. The only time there is maybe a delay in getting an appointment is if you decide on Friday afternoon you might not get in until Monday, or have to drive 30-45 min away. The results are sent by text/email, usually within 48 hrs sometimes sooner for positives.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In LA county, you can get tested for free at drive up clinics. You have to sign up online. There is no fee and you do not need to be symptomatic.

Also the school district is starting a pilot program of testing staff and students and their families to prepare for when we eventually go back. The caveat is they will only test you if you are symptom free and have no known exposure. They’ve caught a few asymptomatic positives, but the numbers of negatives are not very representative of the community since they don’t test people with symptoms. Also the superintendent gave the bid to his buddy’s lab that is new and not FDA approved, so there is that issue too.....
    Last edited by PZMommy; 10-25-2020 at 05:53 PM.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think in many cases “free” isn’t entirely free. The cost is covered by your insurance or the taxpayers of your state and will lead to higher insurance premiums next year. That said, I still think quick and plentiful testing is critical. I would just be happy to cover a moderate cost for convenience-related tests if the market can make those tests cheaper and easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast