PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Halloween games for teens

UPDATE IN POST#5
    Instead of trick or treating, or letting DS1 go to his friend's house for their annual party, we are having an outdoor, front yard, socially distanced get together with some neighbors. Among the houses coming to the party, there will be 7-10 tweens and teens (the two 11 year olds are the youngest, and one or two college aged kids will probably attend- they'd be the oldest). I don't want them to be tempted to go trick or treating (we'll have plenty of candy and treats at the party, plus trying to avoid Covid exposures) or from going into one neighbor's house to play video games inside together, so I'm trying to think of games to keep them occupied outside. We have cornhole, so I'll bring that. I'm planning a "guess how many m&ms in the jar" game. Can you help me think of other things to keep them outside and having fun?

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Last edited by PunkyBoo; 11-01-2020 at 04:40 PM.

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Volleyball

Bocce

A video game system hooked up to a projector of weather permits

Maybe small gift cards as prizes for some sort of tournament so that they’re more engaged with the various games

A Mafia style game.

Phone based games (urge them to download before party) Psyche, Heads Up or Among Us.

Pictionary or charades

What are you going to do about ToTers who come by during the evening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

What about a living Clue game or murder mystery? You can get DIY kits for various ages online or make something up if you're a creative type, and stash clues around the space according to the "plot"

If you decide to use Clue as a framework, you can set up activity stations, like extracting DNA from a strawberry for the "Kitchen" area/station, or examining fingerprints in the Conservatory (you can use stamp pads or graphite powder; personally, I'd go with graphite powder, which you can do by scratching pencils against sandpaper, already in baggies and use drawing paper taped in various 6'-distanced areas); or testing blood spatter patterns (use ~ 1 packet of cherry or black cherry Kool-Aid and a couple tablespoons of warm water per person; each person gets a sheet of paper, a drinking straw, and a plastic cup with the "blood" solution in it ... using the drinking straw as an eyedropper, you test the splatter from various distances, starting at about half an inch above your paper) in the Dining Room; or having some information about forensic science in the Library, etc.

I did most of that with my Girl Scouts last year for their Detective/Special Agent badges - the kids had fun working through the stations and I finished up with a handful of short videos that my sister, her coworkers, and I recorded so the Scouts could study the suspects' body language and see if they could solve the "murder" of Ms Boddy.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

[QUOTE=nfceagles;4380013

What are you going to do about ToTers who come by during the evening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thank you for the ideas so far! The houses in our neighborhood are close together, and we don't usually get a huge number of ToT'ers, so with us out in the front yard, we'll see any ToT'ers and wave them over to a table near us outside with candy spread out on it that they can pick from.

OP here. Updating on how the party went in case anyone ever needs a couple socially distanced ideas. We had 2-11 year olds, 3-14 year olds, 1-16 year old, 4-very recent college grads, and 13 adults and we all had so much fun! I thought the kids would be the only ones doing the games but everyone participated!
    We did a "guess how many M&Ms are in the jar" -I'm the only one who knew the actual count and ironically my husband (who was not home when I counted) was only one number off so he won the jar of candy.
    Then I had 3 giant bags fill of balloons. Everyone sat in a chair (it was a front yard, BYOChairs party) in a line facing me. They had to run over to me (about 6-10 feet away), grab a balloon, and then sit on the balloon to pop it. The highest number of balloons popped won. Everyone was nice about picking up the balloon pieces afterward.
    We also had everyone pair up and stand in 2 lines facing their partner. One side each person held a solo cup, the other side each got a huge bag of candy corn. Without moving their feet, they had to throw candy corn and their partner catch it in their cup until time ran out and the highest number in the cup won.
    We also had a table set up to carve pumpkins, a table set up to decorate cookies, a ton of food, BYOB, and the 11-16 year olds also rode their bikes around the neighborhood to get any candy from other houses that had some at out. We had planned to also play Loteria (mexican bingo) using candy corn but it was too dark out to see the cards.
    It was really fun, I was so pleasantly surprised that most of the adults dressed in costume AND were really excited to play the games!