Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Suggestions needed for safe, indoor exercise ideas after knee or ankle surgery.

In September I broke my ankle while hiking and had emergency surgery to repair the three bones that broke. I got lucky in that I didn’t tear any ligaments or tendons. My doctor told me that I’d be in casts then a boot with no weight bearing for 6 weeks. After that I’ll be gradually allowing weight bearing and walking in the boot. By Thanksgiving I’ll be duck-walking in tennis shoes. I’m really lucky that this is a relatively short recuperation because it’s been difficult.

If there is one realization that hit me hard it’s that this recuperation would have been easier if I were LIGHTER. I’m about 40 pounds over weight. It’s the heaviest I’ve ever been. And while I’m strong and healthy, hauling this extra weight around on crutches, while pushing myself in a wheelchair and while pushing myself up and downstairs with one leg has been hard. It would have been so much easier when I was lighter. This morning I had to hop on one leg to the toilet and I could feel the extra weight bounce from my stomach, butt, and thighs. Heck, if I had weighed less I might not have turned my ankle in the first place. I’m tired of it and want it gone.

To that end, I’ve taken advantage of this last month to eat healthy and count calories. I’ve lost 10 pounds. Knowing my own body, I will need aerobic exercise to lose any more than that. What exercise will be less stressful for my newly healed ankle? Has anyone here exercised after ankle or knee injury? I’ve been thinking stationary biking or elliptical machine once I’m cleared by the doctor. Swimming wound have been good in the summer but it’s too cold now. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 10-25-2020 at 08:38 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Definitely check with your doctors but I have had knee surgery and biking was recommended to me. It seems almost counterintuitive but there is much less strain on a knee while biking than while walking or running. My knee surgery might not have been the same as yours (mine was to tigten up my knee to keep it from subluxing) and I did not have any ankle injuries or surgery.

Is there an indoor pool you can join? (Don’t you have some sort of done/bubble?). I assume swimming would be the best aerobic activity for a broken ankle.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Is there an indoor pool you can join? (Don’t you have some sort of done/bubble?). I assume swimming would be the best aerobic activity for a broken ankle.
    Wow, good memories around here! Yes, we do have a dome but Dh said we didn’t use our pool enough over the last couple of winters and decided to winterize the pool, unfortunately. I argued that we would probably use it more this winter than ever but he didn’t think so. So that’s out. Honestly, even though it didn’t bother the kids or Dh, I hated going from the warm pool and domeroom to the freezing outside air to get to the house. I also hate hot tubs in the winter. I just can’t stand to be that cold.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Can DH undo that winterization since you have a medical need and your family will likely be home more this winter?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You need low impact exercises. Swimming would be the ultimate way to go. I would rate cycling 2nd and elliptical
    3rd. But you will need to get advice from your physically therapist to see what they recommend & when. In the meantime I would do upper body weights... anything you can do sitting down.

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I’d say biking.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I would say swimming or water aerobics would be best, cycling second best, and elliptical would possibly be manageable but definitely not ideal as it's lower impact than a treadmill but adds in a weird balance/body alignment component. (I'm an exercise physiologist but NOT a PT or athletic trainer)
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I would definitely get advice from a trainer or physical therapist along with your doctor. Biking, maybe a recumbent bike, could be a possibility for lower impact. You might also be able to find a boxing type workout that focuses on upper body movements. Get some weights to upper body strength training and do some core work that you can tolerate. I'm looking at the opposite, if things stay open, I have breast reduction surgery coming up and I won't be able to do my upper body strength training or anything strenuous at first, so I plan to walk on my treadmill. I'd love a bike, but my son added so much to our exercise room that I'm kind of tapped out. I have one of these too, which is supposed to be lower impact, but I'd definitely check with an expert before doing it...https://www.bellicon.com/us_en?gclid...waArr4EALw_wcB
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    I would definitely get advice from a trainer or physical therapist along with your doctor. Biking, maybe a recumbent bike, could be a possibility for lower impact. You might also be able to find a boxing type workout that focuses on upper body movements. Get some weights to upper body strength training and do some core work that you can tolerate. I'm looking at the opposite, if things stay open, I have breast reduction surgery coming up and I won't be able to do my upper body strength training or anything strenuous at first, so I plan to walk on my treadmill. I'd love a bike, but my son added so much to our exercise room that I'm kind of tapped out. I have one of these too, which is supposed to be lower impact, but I'd definitely check with an expert before doing it...https://www.bellicon.com/us_en?gclid...waArr4EALw_wcB
    I have one of those rebounders! It was a 12th birthday present and when my parents died I brought it to this house thinking the kids would enjoy it. Since then friends have offered to buy it from me saying it’s the best made mini trampoline they have ever seen. It doesn’t squeak. I’ll definitely ask if I can safely use it for low impact once my ankle is cleared.

Unfortunately DH already winterized our pool so that’s out. But I’m thinking that maybe I can get back our rowing machine he gave to the neighbors, if they still have it. That’s low impact too so maybe ok for recovery.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast