Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Is there any such thing as safe holiday travel?

My sister lives on the opposite coast from me and she struggles from anxiety. She normally "comes home" (I live in the same town as my parents!) several times a year. She did come this summer but that was feasible as numbers dropped and she's a teacher so she could quarantine for a couple of weeks before we hung out. Is there any possibility for her to travel to see us for the holidays? I think it would be really good for her...but maybe not worth it? She's low risk. My parents are very high risk. We have some high risk numbers as well and we are very careful! I am worried about HER risk for getting through the holidays.

What do you think?

She lives in a major East Coast city with direct flights to LA.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I can see it only if she has time to quarantine. Test before travel, test upon arrival, isolate 10 days to see if symptoms appear.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I can see it only if she has time to quarantine. Test before travel, test upon arrival, isolate 10 days to see if symptoms appear.

Yeah, that's my worry, I wonder if she'll have enough time to quarantine. Her school break is limited... I'm almost wondering if she'll be able to come early, stay in a hotel, teach from said hotel (all her kids are remote) and then spend Christmas holidays with us?

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Yeah, that's my worry, I wonder if she'll have enough time to quarantine. Her school break is limited... I'm almost wondering if she'll be able to come early, stay in a hotel, teach from said hotel (all her kids are remote) and then spend Christmas holidays with us?
    Is she teaching from home now or does she have to report to her school building to do her remote teaching? If she is currently teaching from home and that is what her district is doing, the coming and teaching from a hotel room might work, unless she needs to lug along all of her teacher manuals or other supplies (not sure what she teaches).

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Is there any such thing as safe holiday travel?

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    It’ll depend on quality of WiFi at the hotel. A teacher friend is going to do this for a few days when goes to see family.

I can’t. I have to be licensed in the state I’m physically in and the state the student is physically in. It’s caused problems when families go to another state where I’m not licensed as I can’t do teletherapy with them. I don’t know if teachers have that requirement.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

If she can wok remotely, an Airbnb is probably safer than a hotel (less chance of a shared ventilation system and common areas)

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

She needs to check with her school. My school will not let us on campus for 14 days if we have traveled out of state. Right now we are virtual, so it doesn't really matter (unless you want to pick things up).

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Ditto on the checking of the district's rules. We are "Strongly Discouraged" to travel to red states during the school year .... including holiday breaks. IF we do so, we are subject to the 2wk quarantine ... without pay. If We do and do not quarantine for 2 weeks, we're subject to disciplinary action including termination.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don't think it is safe to travel. We live on the west coast, family is all in the midwest. we always travel there for xmas but are not this year. first time in my life i won't be with my family for xmas.

I think its safe to get on an airplane while wearing a mask and goggles. Wipe down your seat area, etc. I think she would probably be safe around your family--except for your parents. That's a no go. if she is teaching all virtually, I don't see an issue with her coming out. She is basically quarantining while teaching virtually anyway,
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast