Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Device Safe

Quote Originally Posted by o_mom View Post
    BTDT. I don't think people with compliant, generally rule-following children understand the lengths that some kids will go to in order to get to devices, regardless of the consequences.

I hear you! I just found DS3's iPod touch while cleaning out a corner of my room and when we turned it on, it said it had been offline for 44 weeks. Of course he had it less than 12 hours before he lost it for refusing it put it away when asked.
    EXACTLY! I once found DS awake at 2:30 am playing with this school iPad. This was before we had the safe and I had forgotten to hide it. It’s like an addiction. I have two other kids and they are not this way at all.

My big issue now is homework. DS says he has homework and needs the iPad. And then I catch him watching YouTube videos on among us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We did that for a while but SS would find them and wake us up at 4am climbing up a tall shelf.
    We had to put a security code on the cable box & locked DD out so she wouldn't wake herself in the middle of the night (or the "wee small hours of the morning") to bingewatch YouTube video game walkthroughs for hours before logging into school, which had an impact on her mood, focus, and participation during class.

She then tried using her school device, and checking her browser history indicated she was starting to use it at 2am some days, so we simply confiscate that in the evening after dinner.

I keep everything in my nightstand. I considered a safe, but DH wouldn't agree to it.

For her personal devices, like her iPod and iPad, we activated Screen Time (built into the last few versions of iOS), and I've blocked YouTube on the browser.

There are a handful of apps she can access all the time, like the eBook borrowing apps from the library, but others that she needs permission, like FaceTime and Messages, as well as all access to streaming/entertainment apps.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I know parents who gave their devices to neighbors to hold onto. Of course the kids didn't know who had them, they just knew they were no longer in the house.

I've enjoyed finding novel places to hide their stuff before. Hanging in a bag on a hanger under an old coat in a closet, between the mattress and box spring of the guest bed, under my nightstand, in the garage in old plant pots (that I only use in the summer), in old suitcases, in bins of Christmas decorations, etc. Is it wrong that I enjoy doing this to them? This usually works for a week or more before I have to hide their stuff again.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2