Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Twoboos is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Teens and working in Covid

My teen is begging to get a job (lots of bad-timing issues have meant she hasn't had a "real" job beyond babysitting, which she hasn't done since March). But she is looking at places I really don't feel comfortable with, like Dunkin, grocery store, Target, etc.. IMO those are the best teen jobs bc you learn how to deal with the public - those are the kinds of places I worked as a teen. But I don't know if I can agree to put her in those types of places for an 8hr workday.

I don't know what to tell her. But she needs to do something - she is basically laying in her room watching shows or tik tok when not doing her homework or at sports practice/games (done with precautions). She is also driving now so we're paying for every aspect of that including all the activities she goes to (mostly getting food ). It's killing me bc before I was a SAHM I had worked since I was 12, so I never asked my mom for money for stuff that wasn't school related.

DH suggested virtual online tutoring, which might work out as we have a bunch of younger kids in the neighborhood. Maybe I should suck it up and let her get an actual job? Places will be hiring for the holidays so I'm sure she'd get something.

Any thoughts on this? She seems to be struggling lately.
    "Every mother needs a wife." - Amy Poehler, Yes Please

Where do you live? How high risk if your household?

Personally I would not be comfortable with my teen working in a job with lots of close contact with others. We stopped letting DD babysit (her two regular families started asking in June whether she was available). I really hope things are better in the summer because she’s planning on teaching swim lessons.

I think online tutoring is a great idea. There is a big demand for that.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Online tutoring sounds good.
    Mine was a lifeguard this summer and I felt very comfortable with that. He spent most of his shifts in an elevated chair- perfect for social distancing.
    If you live somewhere where the weather will be warm enough, maybe the school is hiring for grounds work outside? My friend had that job back in the day and loved it. Spent her day painting fences, trimming bushes...
    getting out of the house is the only benefit I see to a non-virtual job. Are there any small scale stores that are never very busy and don’t have many workers per shift? Like a card store or boutique of some kind? I bet there are teen friendly retail or food options that you’d feel more comfortable with than Target or Dunkin.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

My teen is also a lifeguard, he picks up occasional weekend shifts even now at an indoor pool but he is pretty busy so not working as much as he was over the summer. That said, he has some friends that are working in retail jobs- smoothie shop, grocery store etc. and they have all been fine- it would depend on how mask compliant your area is and what your virus numbers are but I might be ok with something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by ezcc View Post
    My teen is also a lifeguard, he picks up occasional weekend shifts even now at an indoor pool but he is pretty busy so not working as much as he was over the summer. That said, he has some friends that are working in retail jobs- smoothie shop, grocery store etc. and they have all been fine- it would depend on how mask compliant your area is and what your virus numbers are but I might be ok with something like that.
    Just wanted to echo this too. Almost all of ds1's friends had typical teen jobs (like the ones you described) and have been fine.
    If she is driving, what about Door Dash, Uber Eats...?

LD92599 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My teen has been working at Walgreens since Sept 2019, so throughout flu season and of course COVID. A few of his friends parents did make the kids take a leave during the height of March/April/May. A friend of mine told me to make him quit. Why? Can't just quit jobs because you're scared! He did fine, he's still working (15-20 hours/week throughout). The store is open 8am-10pm 365 days/year. As a company though they were rather "late" with making them wear masks, putting up plexiglass etc but they of course eventually did. He knows to wash his hands often, wear a mask and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    My teen has been working at Walgreens since Sept 2019, so throughout flu season and of course COVID. A few of his friends parents did make the kids take a leave during the height of March/April/May. A friend of mine told me to make him quit. Why? Can't just quit jobs because you're scared! He did fine, he's still working (15-20 hours/week throughout). The store is open 8am-10pm 365 days/year. As a company though they were rather "late" with making them wear masks, putting up plexiglass etc but they of course eventually did. He knows to wash his hands often, wear a mask and move on.
    It’s perfectly reasonable to not want your kid to work during the pandemic. If you don’t absolutely need the money and you want to limit exposure then it makes sense to quit. It has nothing to do with being scared.

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ll be the outlier. There is no way I would send my teen out in a pandemic to work customer facing for minimum wage. I have a list a mile long of things to do around the house that I would gladly pay my kids to do for me. If my DC really wanted a job, I would have them ask around for outdoor odd jobs from neighbors or friends.
    Last edited by jgenie; 10-27-2020 at 10:11 AM.

icunurse is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My child turned 16 just before Covid hit hard. He wanted a job and we wouldn’t let him get one then. As we learned more about Covid and numbers changed, we became more comfortable with him getting one. We also feel that working for someone with their rules and hours makes a kid learn something. So we told him to get a job and he did. He works above minimum wage at a restaurant within walking-distance. It’s fast paced and he is learning multiple jobs. Despite being along the lines of fast food, they really stick to their safety precautions (mask, plexiglass, limiting people). Now that IL has closed indoor dining again, he is working outside in the drive through and running online orders. I really don’t feel that his Covid risk is high at work. He takes precautions and so do most customers. Plus he isn’t near anyone for long periods of time, especially outdoors. I am more concerned about his exposure at school (hybrid). He enjoys working and earning his own money, he is learning new skills and flexibility, as well as responsibility. It’s been great for him so far.

Quote Originally Posted by LD92599 View Post
    It’s perfectly reasonable to not want your kid to work during the pandemic. If you don’t absolutely need the money and you want to limit exposure then it makes sense to quit. It has nothing to do with being scared.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast