KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Plantar fasciitis

Who can tell me about this? I’ve had sensitive feet (mainly heels) for years, but consistent foot pain since this summer. Who should I go see? I’ve always been hesitant to see a podiatrist, but have to see someone soon as I can’t wear the only pair of sandals I’ve been able to wear the last 4 months.
    K

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Who can tell me about this? I’ve had sensitive feet (mainly heels) for years, but consistent foot pain since this summer. Who should I go see? I’ve always been hesitant to see a podiatrist, but have to see someone soon as I can’t wear the only pair of sandals I’ve been able to wear the last 4 months.
    I would recommend a podiatrist. They see these types of problems daily. You will probably benefit from physical therapy as well. Have you tried stretching? The runners stretch was the best one for me when mine would flare up. I also had custom orthotics made that I wore daily. As the pain resolved, I was able to switch to wearing other shoes most of the time. I did receive a cortisone shot when PT didn't resolve the problem, and as terrified as I was, it didn't really hurt (good doctor? technique) and it resolved the problem for years.
    mom to Billy 12/07

I tried a lot of different things and what finally worked for me is a plantar fasciitis night splint. There are many different versions on Amazon. Many of the newer versions have cords that also help stretch the area which seems to me would work well. Good luck.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think a podiatrist is a good start. That said, mine was cured by my chiropractor. Turns out that extremely tight tendons between my ankle and knee caused it to flair up in my heel. Several go rounds of the graston tool (they use it to scrape at the fascia) was all it took. Not gonna lie, hurts like the devil and causes bruising, but my heel pain was gone after 2 visits.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by jacksmomtobe View Post
    I tried a lot of different things and what finally worked for me is a plantar fasciitis night splint. There are many different versions on Amazon. Many of the newer versions have cords that also help stretch the area which seems to me would work well. Good luck.
    I completely agree with the above. It was uncomfortable, especially at first, but worked when nothing else did.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have many foot diagnoses including that one. If you want to avoid going to a podiatrist, change your shoes.

Don't wear any shoes that bend. I pretty much wear Dansko, Birkenstocks, some Merrell and Hokas.

Never be barefoot, ever. You need house shoes or sneakers that do not bend. There's a podiatrist in Arizona who writes a blog. She says your only barefoot step should be into and out of the shower. Around the house, I either wear inside sneakers, Haflinger cork sole clogs or LLB Wicked Good Cork Sole clogs. Seems like Birkenstock just stepped into the fuzzy slipper market too. No flimsy slippers.

Stretch your calves, regularly and throughout the day. Let one heel hang over the stair, hold for five seconds and switch. Repeat a few times.
    Stand on one foot and stare at the wall. Switch and repeat.
    Get a thermaband, put around one foot and point forward. 15 times and then switch. Do a couple of sets.
    Same drill with thermaband but do it one side and then the other.
    Last edited by Kindra178; 10-28-2020 at 03:43 PM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    I have many foot diagnoses including that one. If you want to avoid going to a podiatrist, change your shoes.

Don't wear any shoes that bend. I pretty much wear Dansko, Birkenstocks, some Merrell and Hokas.

Never be barefoot, ever. You need house shoes or sneakers that do not bend. There's a podiatrist in Arizona who writes a blog. She says your only barefoot step should be into and out of the shower. Around the house, I either wear inside sneakers, Haflinger cork sole clogs or LLB Wicked Good Cork Sole clogs. Seems like Birkenstock just stepped into the fuzzy slipper market too. No flimsy slippers.

Stretch your calves, regularly and throughout the day. Let one heel hang over the stair, hold for five seconds and switch. Repeat a few times.
    Stand on one foot and stare at the wall. Switch and repeat.
    Get a thermaband, put around one foot and point forward. 15 times and then switch. Do a couple of sets.
    Same drill with thermaband but do it one side and then the other.
    Good suggestions for lots of foot-related issues. I adopted the "never barefoot" approach years ago and it has been extremely helpful (I generally wear Birkenstock sandals at home, with socks — what a great look!).

One question: do you mean "theraband” (those stretchy resistance bands)? Or is there also something called thermabands?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Others have great suggestions. I also almost never go barefoot in the house.

I have found two things help me tremendously when I'm having flare-ups:

- Rolling my arches on a frozen water bottle at night

- Wearing these ice packs at night.
    https://www.amazon.com/NatraCure-Col.../dp/B07J1NZ35G

In addition, lots of stretching after exercise for my feet and calves, and standing on my toes makes my feet feel a lot better.

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by NCGrandma View Post
    Good suggestions for lots of foot-related issues. I adopted the "never barefoot" approach years ago and it has been extremely helpful (I generally wear Birkenstock sandals at home, with socks — what a great look!).

One question: do you mean "theraband” (those stretchy resistance bands)? Or is there also something called thermabands?

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Yes, sorry!

I hate ice and rolling my foot on a frozen water bottle. Or golf ball. I never did that.

Changing my shoes fixed my pf. I will add that I did have PT, but that was to deal with PF and my other foot issues (mostly neuromas).

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Yes, sorry!

I hate ice and rolling my foot on a frozen water bottle. Or golf ball. I never did that.

Changing my shoes fixed my pf. I will add that I did have PT, but that was to deal with PF and my other foot issues (mostly neuromas).
    Changing my shoes wasn't enough for me. The ice feels so good now!