Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    Everyone I know has a tramp and there have been no injuries. Zero. I think the kind of tramp you get really matters. The double jump, side protectors, spring free. I have seen too many kids on them with no ill effects. I would love to get one.
    Same
    We’ve only had one trampoline injury ever jumping at a jump park or at friend’s houses.
    K

Liziz is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

One of my family members is an orthopedic surgeon. Her take is 1) she seems more injuries in adults than in kids, so make sure the adults remember their limits and the rules too 2) ortho-injuries are pretty rare and in general kids heal and recover amazing quickly from them 3) In the rare cases where it's not a simple break, it can be a massive and very complicated injury that can have long-term complications 4) don't forget that bone breaks/sprains aren't the only risk, but that trampoline use (particularly without good safety practices) can result in some scary head injuries, too (from falling off or heads crashing together) and 5)for some children and families, the only real physical activity they're getting at home or only time they're really going outside is to jump on the trampoline, and she struggles with the benefits vs. risk on this

Overall, she says she would never buy one for her own home/children, but the reality is that people play safely on them every single day, and while she'd rather kids be running and playing outside in other ways, she doesn't discount the fact that pure inactivity is also terrible for healthy outcomes, and that it's a cost/benefit situation so she also doesn't really condemn or speak out against their safe, well-monitored use.
    Lizi

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In a pandemic with rule following kids, I feel like the risk/benefit ratio is shifted slightly. If I had the room, I'd probably get one.

Its so hard - there are an awful lot of injuries. Most are not a huge deal, but when it goes wrong, it can be catastrophic and life changing. OTOH a year of physical inactivity in kids isnt without risks either.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

As a former gymnastics coach, I will NEVER get a trampoline for my kids. They terrify me. And falling off of it or getting injured by the springs would be the least of my concerns. Even if I would have been ok with one at some other point in time, this is not the year to be doing things that increase our chances of having to spend time in the ER.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    As a former gymnastics coach, I will NEVER get a trampoline for my kids. They terrify me. And falling off of it or getting injured by the springs would be the least of my concerns. Even if I would have been ok with one at some other point in time, this is not the year to be doing things that increase our chances of having to spend time in the ER.
    These are my exact feelings. I've seen way too many catastrophic injuries so was already on the never side of trampolines. Add in this is not the time to increase risk.

As a bonus, my rule following kiddo rolls her ankles just walking across the room so it's a recipe for disaster at our house.

I know 2 kids in casts currently due to trampolines - a 3 year old in a full leg cast and a 7 year old in a full arm cast.
    We don't have room for one, but we wouldn't be getting one irregardless of room. We do have an exercise trampoline in the middle of the living room and DS is on it throughout the day.

In our years of kids being in competitive sports, we've seen more soccer teammates sidelined from trampoline injuries than actual sports injuries. That said, I'm going back and forth in my brain about getting one for DD for Christmas. She's a gymnast, her friends all have them and being stuck at home or with only outdoor playdates for the foreseeable future, my mind is waffling. We would definitely require only one jumper at a time but there are still risks involved.

Generally speaking, I've always been on the no trampoline train so who knows what I'll end up doing.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I know quite a few people with trampolines and I've never heard of any injuries from them.

We have a spring free trampoline.
    https://www.springfreetrampoline.com/
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

JamiMac is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We had one for eleven years and it was probably the most used “toy” during that time. My three kids were always on it in some fashion, as well as their friends. Fortunately, we never had any injuries. We had a safety net and you could not access the springs because of the netting. Our homeowners insurance had no problem with it and even replaced parts of it after a major hail storm. We took it down last year when we put in a swimming pool. My son still misses it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DD 2001
    DD 2004
    DS 2007

squimp is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Accidents do happen. Ask yourself, is it worth it?

My daughter broke her back on a trampoline earlier this year. Thanks 2020! She is a high school athlete and it was devastating. Spinal fusion surgery, many days in the hospital, months of recovery. We were lucky that she was not paralyzed, and she is recovering but I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

Almost as bad as your own child experiencing an injury is having one of your child's friends that you love injured at your house on a trampoline. I wanted to go to her friend's house and set the damn thing on fire.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast