Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default Is anyone traveling anywhere this winter?

I know this isn't the best time to be considering this but DH and the kids have basically admitted they are going crazy not traveling anywhere. Ok, mainly DH. He showed me a youtube video the other day of someone carrying their suitcase on a treadmill and then setting the suitcase on the treadmill like it's a luggage claim conveyor. He said he's wistfully considering doing that just to feel a suitcase in his hands again (insert eyeball). I've always suspected dH had severe ADHD and I it's been made more certain by these last 8 months.

We were thinking about driving over Christmas vacation to northern Minnesota, Wisconsin or the UP to ski for a few days. Based on where we live now, we could probably make the drive there in a day and the kids could have a few days to ski before we headed home. Would this be crazy? Do you think the resorts would be busy/unsafe? Given it's November, is it too late to make some plans? TIA
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I waited too long to book the house I wanted so now no plans. I have no problems with a driving trip to a private house. Skiing is in our comfort zone too. Regrouping and might get a ski in/ ski out rental instead of the house I wanted originally (15 minute drive away...I honestly hadn’t thought about skiing til friends mentioned it; I don’t ski and it’s not an amazing location for it but it’s something to do).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

What are your quarantine requirements? In your destination state and your home state upon return. That makes it near impossible for us to go anywhere during my kids’ time out of school. That’s assuming they’re still attending school come Christmas, but for now that’s the assumption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We’re hoping to ski locally. We won’t stay in hotels so will most likely drive in and out each day.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are driving about 6 hours right before Christmas to ski. Skiing was canceled last year and I did not want to go 2 years without skiing as my kids love it so much. The ski place isn’t great, but it is our best option within driving distance. We got a ski in/ski out place with its own entrance so we will stop in for lunch and will not have to be inside any of the ski resort buildings except bathrooms. We are skipping ski school and doing a couple private lessons instead. The resort is limiting lift tickets and requiring face cover while standing in line for lifts (we’ve been there at this time before and there were not really lines anyway). I feel like it will be a safe, outside activity. I am bringing food so most all meals will be at condo but we may do take out too.
    We do not have quarantine requirements.

We are also planning a driving trip to FL for spring break. We have condos with their own outside entrance booked. I can cancel until end of Feb so will be making final decision then.

We are really missing travel but are not comfortable getting on a plane for now. Trying to plan things that are safe but still let us travel. We have had plans to meet friends in Hawaii summer 2021 but that is not looking good as they currently can’t leave their country. We canceled Costa Rica last summer and would like to reschedule that but although you can travel to CR right now there are a lot of things still closed. I think summer will be last minute based on what is going on and what is available.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    I know this isn't the best time to be considering this but DH and the kids have basically admitted they are going crazy not traveling anywhere. Ok, mainly DH. He showed me a youtube video the other day of someone carrying their suitcase on a treadmill and then setting the suitcase on the treadmill like it's a luggage claim conveyor. He said he's wistfully considering doing that just to feel a suitcase in his hands again (insert eyeball). I've always suspected dH had severe ADHD and I it's been made more certain by these last 8 months.

We were thinking about driving over Christmas vacation to northern Minnesota, Wisconsin or the UP to ski for a few days. Based on where we live now, we could probably make the drive there in a day and the kids could have a few days to ski before we headed home. Would this be crazy? Do you think the resorts would be busy/unsafe? Given it's November, is it too late to make some plans? TIA
    I personally feel skiing is pretty safe if you avoid being inside without masks (like eating). The resort we are going to had all their procedures listed on their website. I would look at the procedures for the places you are interested in then if you are comfortable with them book quickly. They are limiting lift ticket purchases and where we are going you have to buy in advance. You can not get same day and many days are already sold out. I also got the last private lesson spots available for before Christmas and I booked as soon as they started booking in October. So I am not sure if it is too late but I would do it in next few days for sure.
    Place we are going in only option driving distance for many states so it may be more in demand than other places that have more competition.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are driving to our condo in Florida for another “relocated quarantine “. Will be my third time.

DD and I will drive. DH is insisting on flying. It’s a nonstop flight and maybe fine but I still think unnecessary risk - and that one of us doing it is better than three.

We will stay in hotel - too far to drive. We carry in luggage, put on a towel, and wipe down all surfaces. DoorDash delivered to hotel door. Online checkin and digital key.

We will only eat out if outside and socially distanced - unlikely over holidays. A big change as we enjoy eating out and usually do most nights on vacation. Beach is unlikely - may try one day further back from beach where we can distance. No playing endless football and paddleball on edge of surf though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We are not but I’d be ok with a Vrbo rental. A hotel doesn’t appeal due to COVID.
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Our Sunday paper just ran a big article on what all of the Utah ski resorts are doing in light of Covid. Be prepared!! You will probably have to reserve a spot--even with a pass. Like a week ahead of time. Get there super early for parking, etc. If you have to rent equipment, you might have to reserve a time--again in advance. The lift lines will be long--they can't pack unknown groups together on the chairlifts. If you take a group gondola or tram, you need a face mask and a gaiter over your face. Eating will be limited to grab and go. There will be heaters outside. REally limited space inside. I would rather count on going back to the car and eating a sandwhich and a thermos of soup. (or bring your BBQ grill, which lots of people do here) And given that nobody is going to hang around the mountain, everybody will be driving home at the same time--lots of crowds. So stay in a VRBO as close to the mountain as you can!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are going skiing. Ski in/out and avoiding eating anywhere but the condo. All procedures sounded good at the resort and numbers are reduced. We needed to reserve tickets in advance.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast