Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    marinkitty is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We tentatively plan to head to our mountain home (ski-in/ski-out at a mountain with pretty good procedures in place from how it sounds) and either ski (with a stop at home for lunch) or do other outdoor activities (snowshoe, cross country, fat tire bike, hike) and keep to ourselves. We will cook dinners in or grab take out (but we've already been warned that wait times may make that impossible with high demand at few places in peak times). We haven't decided if we will fly or drive, if we even go at all. I reserved three weeks for us back in the summer when I thought the kids might be remote and we could head out for a longer trip (they are all currently still hybrid learning) and have held onto them so we can be totally flexible about when and how we go. We drove out there twice last summer and holed up so I'm very comfortable with being able to stay safe from Covid there, but I am a bit concerned with the travel to and from and also what would happen if someone got hurt while we are out there, so we won't make a final call until a week before when we see how everything looks then. We also have time reserved at spring break so if we pull the plug on winter break, I'm sure we'd go then when hopefully it will feel a bit safer to be out and about.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I need to go ahead and book this. I still can’t decide on ski house or lake house!

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We are in the SF Bay Area and hoping to drive down to Southern California to visit family for Christmas--if California doesn't reinstate shelter in place guidelines that we had in April. DH and the kids have a flight booked to visit his brother's family out of state over New Years. I'm uncomfortable with this and really wish they'd cancel. I'm staying home as I don't want to be at an airport/fly during the holidays.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Is anyone traveling anywhere this winter?

No. We want to, but we probably won’t. We had talked about getting a vrbo for a weekend in early January, but we’ll probably push that off. Friends have a cabin we could stay at near ski slopes but with increased wait times, I don’t know if it’ll be worth it to only get a few runs in.

We’re going to do what we’ve been doing. Stay close to home - we’ve done day trips to go biking or kayaking. It’s driving DH in particular crazy, but travel and gatherings is what’s increasing numbers. I asked DH about if he’ll take any vacation days over the holidays. He said probably not as we can’t go anywhere and places we can go, while a different house, much of what we would want to do is restricted, and not worth the travel effort.

Last edited by niccig; 12-02-2020 at 11:53 PM.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Is anyone traveling anywhere this winter?

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    We are in the SF Bay Area and hoping to drive down to Southern California to visit family for Christmas--if California doesn't reinstate shelter in place guidelines that we had in April. DH and the kids have a flight booked to visit his brother's family out of state over New Years. I'm uncomfortable with this and really wish they'd cancel. I'm staying home as I don't want to be at an airport/fly during the holidays.
    Here in LA county you can’t mix households right now. I used to go walking early one day a week with friends with mask, keep our distance etc. We can’t now as it’s 3 households. It’s through dec 20, but I expect it will go over the holidays too

baymom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Here in LA county you can’t mix households right now. I used to go walking early one day a week with friends with mask, keep our distance etc. We can’t now as it’s 3 households. It’s through dec 20, but I expect it will go over the holidays too

Oh wow, I didn’t know about that. My entire extended family lives in Orange County. We’ll have to check what guidelines they have there before/if we go. Thanks for the heads up.

jbbhb is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by baymom View Post
    Oh wow, I didn’t know about that. My entire extended family lives in Orange County. We’ll have to check what guidelines they have there before/if we go. Thanks for the heads up.
    I’m in Orange County. We have no guidelines like that as of now. Just the no indoor dining, no gyms, etc.

ahisma is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We drove (nonstop, except for filling the gas tank) to a cabin on the short of Lake Santeetlah in the Natahala National Forest for a week over the new year. We brought everything we needed and just hung out, kayaked and hiked. It was fabulous.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Sounds like what we did, ahisma. Over new year's, we went to MIL's beach house (without her) and did 2 grocery pickup orders during the week. We saw no one, went inside NOWHERE, but we had a great time rollerblading, using the TRX we were gifted, played board games, ate a billion more meals.

gatorsmom, like your fam, we are dying to go skiing. DH says nope. I pulled out boots and had DC try them on, and I'm going to post on marketplace all the ones that don't fit. I don't want to encourage anyone else to go, but...we don't have room for stuff we don't need. Can't wait to move about the country again!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2