Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My ds1’s feeling is that the ACT actually tests knowledge whereas the SAT tests your ability to learn how to take that specific test.
    Yeah - another thing I learned. But two more things factor in that I also didn't know. The ACT is better for kids who work really quickly. If they don't, they won't be able to finish the test and by definition won't score as well. The SAT may be better for less traditional learners - kids who may not have done great in standard classes but are smart and can figure stuff out - especially if they happen to 'think' in the same way the SAT does.

While we're talking 'things I didn't know' - many schools now superscore - for example, there are 4 parts on the ACT. (Of course DD's first choice right now does not....) They will take the best score on each of the four sections to create a 'new' composite superscore. Note that schools that do superscore have slightly higher average scores than those that don't. Either way - it likely makes sense to take it two or three times.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The ACT is extremely fast paced and part of test prep for it is just learning the timing. The first time DS1 took the PreACT he ran out of time in all the sections. After prep he was finishing each section with time to spare. Also, the science section doesn't really test science knowledge. It's more reading comprehension and being able to get the data from the tables/graphs.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Melbel is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS used Khan Academy for SAT (99th percentile). DD1 prefered ACT and ended using revolution prep (linked above) for private tutoring (virtual) to focus on her particular weak spots (also scored in 99th percentile). Khan Academy is free so I would start there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3