Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Covid complaint

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    You are not!!! We did a virtual bday party for the kids this year, with a drive-by to hand out cupcakes/favors beforehand, and it was great! Easy planning, NO MESS TO CLEAN UP AFTERWARDS.

It is sad though, my kids recently got a bday invite from a bestie who is doing an indoor party (an escape room...pretty much as confined-indoors-for-an-hour as you can get) for which the host parent would provide transport to/from. We had to turn it down. They had a very limited guest list, only a few kids, and were extremely gracious about the invitation that came attached with "totally understand if you're not comfortable" language but it did make me sad. We are still getting the bestie gifts and will do the gift exchange after school outdoors, but my kids were so sad about it and that made me sad.
    Oh my gosh! I can't imagine how that can be allowed!!

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    An escape room birthday party during a pandemic is so ironic. Those rooms are pretty small, no windows. The one we did for DD a few years ago involved us all being handcuffed together. If anyone had covid, the whole party would get it. No escaping covid.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Oh my gosh! I can't imagine how that can be allowed!!

I know, I've done an escape room before and it truly is as "confined together in one space" as you can get. The reason it's allowed (technically) is because it's under the limit on number of people for indoor gatherings. As soon as I got the invite, I knew my answer was "no way". But...plenty of people here are OK with that, or feel like it's fine because it's under 10 people, or are OK with the risk (though you can argue here they're ok with the risk to themselves, but cannot possibly be thinking of others). Yes, it's mind-boggling. I just sigh and breathe and try to move on. OMG it's hard!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know, I've done an escape room before and it truly is as "confined together in one space" as you can get. The reason it's allowed (technically) is because it's under the limit on number of people for indoor gatherings. As soon as I got the invite, I knew my answer was "no way". But...plenty of people here are OK with that, or feel like it's fine because it's under 10 people, or are OK with the risk (though you can argue here they're ok with the risk to themselves, but cannot possibly be thinking of others). Yes, it's mind-boggling. I just sigh and breathe and try to move on. OMG it's hard!
    Yup. DS1's friend has an escape room at the end of July, and I was in shock since our county was still shut down. The mom was very understanding but I was frankly blown away that anyone thought it was a good idea. Sadly, it definitely helped me see who is aligned with our decisions in terms of safe to socialize with.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

♥ms.pacman♥ is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

wow, an escape room part with tweens right now is beyond irresponsible. having done escape rooms before, the rooms are SMALL and literally the whole thing is for groups of people to figure out clues (so oftentimes everyone has to be looking at one item for a while to figure something out). it is literally IMPOSSIBLE for everyone to stay even 3 ft apart. Yeah, people will say kids can wear masks, but really...is it worth it?? And even adults can't keep their masks on right.

♥ms.pacman♥ is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by PunkyBoo View Post
    Yup. DS1's friend has an escape room at the end of July, and I was in shock since our county was still shut down. The mom was very understanding but I was frankly blown away that anyone thought it was a good idea. Sadly, it definitely helped me see who is aligned with our decisions in terms of safe to socialize with.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
    Yep, this exactly.
    at this point i'm judging & thinking less of folks for wilfully partaking and promoting such things. There is really, no reason for it. I see it as some form of denial, just so they can have their cake and eat it too. It bothers me bc the worst offenders are well-off suburbanites thinking they're isolated from any ill effects. the people hit the hardest are the ones who can't avoid it as much due to the nature of their jobs/living situations.

I just got an email a few hours ago from our principal, at our kids' school another kid tested positive. this is the 2nd case in 2 days (we got a notification over the weekend). so glad we are able to do virtual schooling.

yet people here are in denial and carry on going to bars, restaurants, regularly, having playdates and parties, indoors, with no masks. it blows my mind. in some way, it reminds me of the band that was still playing as the Titanic went down. but in that case, at least they weren't making things worse for other people in the process...

eta: there is a local anti-mask group here, and in one of the posts one guy was trying to organize a huge protest at a local Costco for their policy requiring masks. ne was trying to get 100 people together at one nearby costco and protest, including members who would cancel their memberships if they refused to change their policy!! people are seriously unhinged and making me so angry right now.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 11-16-2020 at 08:30 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2