View Poll Results: What are your children's schools doing?

Voters
45. You may not vote on this poll
  • Public School: In Person Full Time

12 26.67%
  • Public School: In Person Hybrid Model

11 24.44%
  • Public School: In Person All Virtual

16 35.56%
  • Private School: In Person Full Time

7 15.56%
  • Private School: In Person Hybrid Model

3 6.67%
  • Private School: In Person All Virtual

0 0%
  • Other

2 4.44%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by smilequeen View Post
    We have not had in school transmission with 2 separate private schools, full time in person since August. My youngest son's school hasn't had a single case. And we are in an area with ridiculous numbers at the moment. Our state is an absolute disaster.

Of all the things right now, there are many things that make me nervous. We don't do much. But I have not been at all nervous dropping my kids off at school.
    Our state really is a hot mess. I am not especially concerned for my kids getting covid or our own risks (we wouldn't be sending them in person if we were high risk), but I'm increasingly concerned in our area of over 30% positivity rate and increasingly full hospitals that it's only a matter of time before they end up killing one or more school employees, especially in my county. I just looked over our district dashboard and we've had 5-9 new staff positive cases each day (district-wide) for the last week and that's with the middle school and high school being switched to all virtual last week. (All virtual for staffing reasons.) I guess they are going to go back after Thanksgiving this week and it's going to get really ugly I'm afraid.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Public school all virtual for now. Might go to hybrid in January but we will opt for virtual since hybrid is going to be pretty disruptive.

for Sandy Hook

After a lot of stops and starts, the county school board voted to send K-2 back in person a couple of weeks ago. Everyone else will returned in January. Elementary will go full day every day. Middle and high school will be on a rotation.

A report released last week said that 40% of students in third grade through high school failed at least one class for the first grading period. And each week, about 90% of students are logging into the education platform as least one day. Although some are JUST logging in one day. With these numbers, the school system is eager to get kids back in class. DS will return in person whenever school reopens.
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

Public - K-3 went back in 3 cohort rotation a month ago and last week went back in full. 4th-8th just started back in 3-cohort hybrid model. High school is all virtual. Our district has the option to choose 100% virtual for all grades. The current plan for semester 2 is to have all elementary (K-5) in full with distancing as possible and middle/high school in 3-cohort hybrid model. DS1 (9th) will continue virtual for consistency. He's doing great academically. Hopefully he can push through and we can deal with the mental health aspect adequately.

As of now, DS2 (6th) and DD (4th) are in the virtual option of a private school. We have them signed up for 100% in person after the holidays. More resources equals more distance and they have been successful keeping transmission out of the school this fall. That said, I'm nervous for January after holiday travel. I've joked (but I'm actually serious) that my kids might have a "Covid exposure" the day before school starts after New Years so we can do virtual for 2 weeks while things settle down. While I don't love virtual, it's been run well and set up for kids to pivot back and forth if necessary.

ETA: Someone read my mind! I just received an email from our school outlining the return to school post holidays. It simply stated that any in-person student wishing to isolate or quarantine following the break could go virtual for the first 2 weeks back. Guess I'm not the only one with concerns, given how it was worded. Now we can do it legally.
    Last edited by carolinamama; 11-24-2020 at 02:43 PM.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Bumping this thread for post-Thanksgiving updates. Both my kids were virtual for this week (only half a week of school due to extended Thanksgiving break). However, they will be in person hybrid for next two weeks. Schools required a negative covid test to return and facilitated testing by having a private testing company on campus one day this week (small co-pay for students). Current plans are for similar approach in January, remote for first week with testing that week, and return to in person with negative results.

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Many districts around us have switched from in person to hybrid or remote. Our district has opted to remain in person unless it becomes not possible. There were 17 active cases district wide this week (a combination of staff and students) with majority at our high school. I think there was only 1 current student case at DS2's primary school and 2 student/1 staff at DD/DS1's middle school. We only have 2 weeks until break and honestly I would like to see them able to finish the semester (ends at break) in person. If the situation gets out of control, obviously I am ok with them shifting to remote. If they have to shift it can likely happen pretty smoothly. The district started the first 5 weeks of the school year remote so the kids are familiar with the procedures and schedule.
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We are still in person. I think it will be staffing shortages that force them to go remotes. My DS had the superintendent as a sub recently and they sent out an email plea asking people to help find subs. My MS DD has 2-4 subs per day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Thank goodness our stupid school district finally made the call yesterday to go remote until mid-January. We were on just a one-week remote school this week for Thanksgiving, which I thought was a stupid joke since they gave people plenty of time to plan around the "quarantine remote" week after the break to just extend their holiday. They report each positive student and staff covid test. We get calls EVERY day, and one day they had NINE students and staff! I live in an area that started out with in-person school, didn't do a good job enforcing the mask rule at school and things have spun out of control in the community and in the school. Our hospitals are at maximum capacity and we have stopped any elective surgeries due to staff who are out sick or quarantined. People need to wake up and face the reality of the situation instead of being upset about not getting together for the holidays.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

PZMommy is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post
    We are still in person. I think it will be staffing shortages that force them to go remotes. My DS had the superintendent as a sub recently and they sent out an email plea asking people to help find subs. My MS DD has 2-4 subs per day.

I can't even imagine. My superintendent is not from an education background and was never a teacher. He wouldn't last an hour in a classroom, much less sub for a class for the entire day.

From talking to my friends who are in other states, staffing seems to be the biggest issue, but the news just reports about how kids don't get very sick, and ignore the fact that the kids need teachers and other staff to make school possible when they push their agenda of how schools need to open.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nfceagles View Post

Our principal has been subbing in a classroom this week. I got pulled yesterday to sub in my daughter's class - they never do that unless they're desperate. Its also hard because they're trying super hard NOT to mix cohorts. So, since I have multiple duties with 1 kindy classroom (mask breaks, recess etc) they dont want to put me in a different classroom of inperson kids. That sort of thing.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 LastLast