bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default I will never get a dresser from IKEA

My 3 boys share a room. It is tight but it is tidy! Except for their clothes. During the first week of the shutdown, I rearranged their books and clothes and decided to put their shirts in a dresser, Marie Kondo style vs. hung in the closet. Temporarily, I set out three cardboard boxes, one for each boy, to "place" their shirts in until stores opened back up. I knew exactly what dresser I wanted and it was from IKEA!

Throughout the first couple of months I stalked the IKEA page to see if I could get a pickup and never could schedule one. I heard terrible news about the lines once the stores opened up and thought maybe I'd try a week day once school started. But since it is at least an hour drive each way, plus there is generally a line to wait in to get in the store, plus it takes a while to get stuff there, I needed to have DH off and available to run the school thing.

Today was supposed to be that day! But not only did I lose my debit card in the Costco parking lot last week and it hasn't been replaced yet (so I have no way to buy anything unless I go to the bank to get cash)...but I'm also awaiting a COVID test and I shouldn't be going ANYWHERE right now, let alone a crowded furniture store. Plus the state just issued a mandate to lower store capacity (which is probably a great idea considering cases are skyrocketing!).

So, for various reasons, after waiting seven months, still no IKEA dresser for me!

On the plus side, the boys LOVE having their shirts dumped in a box because it takes no time at all to "put them away".

This isn't a big deal in the scheme of things but I swear that dresser is going to feel like Christmas if I'm ever able to get it!

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Lines at IKEA haven't been as bad lately now that all of the desk and office chair purchases have slowed down. I went on a weekday afternoon a month or so ago and walked right it. I was shocked after hearing about Disneyland length lines back in August and September.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I bought my mom an IKEA dresser at the start of the shutdown to put in the closet here. I just paid the exorbitant shipping price ($79 I think)! Still, even with the shipping cost the price in total was about the same of what I would have paid at any other store for a similar dresser.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I bought my mom an IKEA dresser at the start of the shutdown to put in the closet here. I just paid the exorbitant shipping price ($79 I think)! Still, even with the shipping cost the price in total was about the same of what I would have paid at any other store for a similar dresser.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    I've thought about that. It is seriously tempting me. What is maddening is that had I just buckled and paid for the shipping I could have had it for 7 months, lol! I'll talk to DH about it. He hates IKEA. I hate going out in the pandemic. Win-win?

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Does your ikea do a order online pick in store? That is really very convenient, you still have to drive and pick your order but it saves time and you don’t have to find anything there. That service has been iffy at my local ikea since august but I’d try that if you have it available. The biggest problem with ikea since covid is lot of items have been out of stock.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I used this nerd project when stalking IKEA:

https://ikea-status.dong.st/

Unfortunately it looks like it's down right now, except for the email alert function. Anyway...using this I have been able to snag hard-to-get pandemic-related stuff like desk chairs for the kids! A hint after watching this website for a while - for the stores I was stalking, status updates changed over at midnight local time. So, a couple of times when I had to get up to pee anyway, I was able to reserve spots for Click and Collect just after midnight. Make sure you have what you want in a cart ready to go. I also noticed for many stores around the country, spots tended to open up first thing in the morning and then be snapped up within minutes.

And yes, even if you get a spot, I'd wait until after you get negative COVID results, or have someone go pick up for you - be sure if you do this that you ADD THEIR NAME as the alternate pick-up person...our IKEA was pretty strict about this.

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I used this nerd project when stalking IKEA:

https://ikea-status.dong.st/

Unfortunately it looks like it's down right now, except for the email alert function. Anyway...using this I have been able to snag hard-to-get pandemic-related stuff like desk chairs for the kids! A hint after watching this website for a while - for the stores I was stalking, status updates changed over at midnight local time. So, a couple of times when I had to get up to pee anyway, I was able to reserve spots for Click and Collect just after midnight. Make sure you have what you want in a cart ready to go. I also noticed for many stores around the country, spots tended to open up first thing in the morning and then be snapped up within minutes.

And yes, even if you get a spot, I'd wait until after you get negative COVID results, or have someone go pick up for you - be sure if you do this that you ADD THEIR NAME as the alternate pick-up person...our IKEA was pretty strict about this.
    I'm going to try this. I think I heard that midnight is the magic time when slots open so I'll give that a shot too! And yes, I'll put DH's name on there as well!

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I was miraculously able to buy a desk that I had been eyeing at IKEA. It was OOS but suddenly showed an in stock alert date. My DH got on the computer first thing before work and was able to order one for pick up. Having the item you want already in you cart definitely helps, like PP said.

DH chose a pick up time during the online check out. The idea website specifically says to wait for a confirmation email stating that the item is ready to pick up. Never got one even though I was obsessively checking my email. I decided to take a chance and drove the one hour to get there. I wasn't even sure if there was going to be anything to pick up . I felt like I won the lottery when they confirmed my order in the parking lot lol!

And yes the lines were long to get in the store, but it moved quickly.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Honestly at this point I'd look at a store nearby, or FB marketplace, habitat restore, I mean the boys room doesn't have to have that specific desk, your time to more valuable!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk