Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Mamma2004 View Post
    I have been reading all of the replies with great interest, in part because I *thought* our conviction oven could do somewhat the same thing as the air fryer. I know the space is larger and therefore concentrates the air flow to a lesser degree, but maybe I can avoid making an extra purchase. All of these small appliances take up room!
    Our convection oven is a full-sized oven (30 inches). The ONLY time I ever use it now is to roast larger meats (like a turkey or rib roast) or to bake multiple trays of cookies. For everything else (like baking a simple cake or pie), I use either our regular non-convection 27-inch oven (because it heats up faster than the 30 inch), or the air fryer (because it heats up fastest!). HOWEVER, the disclaimer here is that we have enough counter space for the air fryer, the instant pot, the KitchenAid mixer, and the rice maker (I still prefer to use a dedicated japanese rice cooker over the instant pot). The KitchenAid mixer is the ONLY thing that looks pretty though

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    Yes, it's basically a convection oven but its small size and the food tray that lets air circulate underneath makes it cook much faster than heating up a larger oven and cooking your food in a traditional pan. We have a convection oven as well and have all but stopped using it in favor of the IP Vortex. I'm not sure how big the Advantium is...microwave size? Anyway just as an example, I can roast halved brussels sprouts in 10 minutes flat (and that includes the preheat time and the cook time). That's a third of the time it would take in my convection oven (10 min to preheat, 20 min to roast). If your Advantium does the same thing (even if it's a little slower), then yeah...you don't need to get an air fryer which takes up some precious counter space!
    10 min in the Advantium and I'm pretty sure brussels sprouts would be little piles of ash! I'm not home, otherwise I'd check the preset to see how long they cook for. We have the 240v so it's fast. For the speedcooker function, there's no heat up time. It's just ON and GOing. It's crazy. My favorite pandemic treat is getting the flattened multipack of chicken breasts from leftover rotisserie chickens at costco or Sam's, then popping off the wings for later enjoyment. I pull them from the freezer until I get a hankering. One day, I'll mix up some buffalo sauce to cover them, and speedcook them for 3-4 min and they're perfectly amazing. Maybe that's where my extra 10 lbs. came from!
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 11-21-2020 at 11:25 PM.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    10 min in the Advantium and I'm pretty sure brussels sprouts would be little piles of ash! I'm not home, otherwise I'd check the preset to see how long they cook for. We have the 240v so it's fast. For the speedcooker function, there's no heat up time. It's just ON and GOing. It's crazy. My favorite pandemic treat is getting the flattened multipack of chicken breasts from leftover rotisserie chickens at costco or Sam's, then popping off the wings for later enjoyment. I pull them from the freezer until I get a hankering. One day, I'll mix up some buffalo sauce to cover them, and speedcook them for 3-4 min and they're perfectly amazing. Maybe that's where my extra 10 lbs. came from!
    That's crazy, and amazing!!

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Air Fryer holidays 2020?

How does the IP vortex compare to the air fryer toaster oven combos like Breville BOV900BSS Smart Oven Air Convection and Air Fry Countertop Oven?

I got the IP air fryer lid but I don’t use as often since it barely fits enough. Like for instance roasting veggies, would take so many batches to make enough quantity in it for a family of 4. With the breville I posted above looks like you can fit 2 trays in there?

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Myira View Post

I got the IP air fryer lid but I don’t use as often since it barely fits enough. Like for instance roasting veggies, would take so many batches to make enough quantity in it for a family of 4. With the breville I posted above looks like you can fit 2 trays in there?

So the IP lid isn't worth the investment? I'm trying to save counter and cabinet space which we are running out of, so can't add another kitchen gadget to the family. I had hoped the IP lid would do the trick but it sounds like not so great?

for Sandy Hook

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    So the IP lid isn't worth the investment? I'm trying to save counter and cabinet space which we are running out of, so can't add another kitchen gadget to the family. I had hoped the IP lid would do the trick but it sounds like not so great?
    Yes I wouldn’t advice buying it. I bought it exactly because I didn’t want another appliance taking up precious counter space. But I can only make very small quantities of food in it and then factor in the fact that you have to turn it half way through, cleanup, and you have not even produced enough for 4 people, so overall I’m disappointed in that regard. It works just fine if you don’t mind the minuscule quantity.

DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

Gracemom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I just bought the Cuisinart air fryer toaster oven. It’s $140 down from $199 at Target and Amazon. So far it’s great!

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Uh oh, you all are making me rethink the "need" for an air fryer. So far I've ignored them, but now I want one! And I saw the 6 qt. IP Vortex for $60 at Target today......Roasting veggies super quick sounds great! My kids love oven roasted brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, etc. And I hate turning the oven on in the summer. I usually use my toaster oven but they don't get as crispy in that as they do in my big oven (because I can't spread a good amount in a thin layer I think). Share with me your other favorite foods to make in it!

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Uh oh, you all are making me rethink the "need" for an air fryer. So far I've ignored them, but now I want one! And I saw the 6 qt. IP Vortex for $60 at Target today......Roasting veggies super quick sounds great! My kids love oven roasted brussel sprouts, kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, etc. And I hate turning the oven on in the summer. I usually use my toaster oven but they don't get as crispy in that as they do in my big oven (because I can't spread a good amount in a thin layer I think). Share with me your other favorite foods to make in it!
    We also have the big Cuisinart toaster air fryer thing. We have grown to love it! I've struggled with planning meals that I don't want to make EVERYTHING in it!! Our favorites have been roasted veggies: broccoli, Brussels sprouts, green beans, cumin carrot stick "fries", zucchini... Yum! But we also love air fryer fried chicken, roasted potatoes... Almost everything in it has been great (after some initial learning curve).

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ang79 View Post
    Thank you for the info on the Target deal- I just ordered one! I talked it over with DH who promised to give away his Fry Daddy if I bought one. Yeah! I can pick it up from Target tomorrow.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2