Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How to Brine a Turkey???

We are doing Turkey Day with just the four of this year. I bought a 17 pound turkey (smallest one they had). I know that the best way to get a juicy turkey is to brine it. The Joy of Cooking describes doing this in a bucket. I could go buy a bucket but are there ways to brine in a bag or something like that? Asking here because I trust all of you way more than some internet recipe. Thanks!!!!

ETA-I found a brining kit on Williams Sonoma. You get the bag, the brine, and a rub. I am not buying the kit because I don't like the flavors but they have other flavors and we have a WS here, so I will try it. Anybody else tried this?
    Last edited by StantonHyde; 11-21-2020 at 06:01 PM.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH used to bribe in a cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have used a bucket back before brine kits were easily accessible. Now we just use the bag and put it in a pan in case of leaks.
    Bed, Bath and Beyond plus Whole Foods have the kit I like- Fire and Flavor brand.

We use an old Tidy Cats bucket lined with a white trash bag. It's one of those 27lb rectangular buckets and fits a turkey and brine perfectly! We haven't had a cat in over 10 years but I saved one bucket haha - I promise I wash it with soap and water before and after using it every year, it is very clean. We live in a cold winter area where Thanksgiving highs are usually in the 30s, so after it's in the brine and the bucket is snapped shut, we put it outside. I'm usually filling the fridge with roll dough, some made ahead sides and cinnamon roll dough, so it's nice to have the turkey out of the fridge the night before the big day.

I use this brine recipe and always get compliments on the turkey: https://www.melskitchencafe.com/roas...iving-recipes/
    Allison

DD1 11/05
    DS 04/08
    DD2 11/11

Dry brine!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/...nksgiving.html

I used to wet brine using a dedicated bucket, but hated the hassle. Then I tried dry brining one year and will never go back to wet brining again. The meat is thoroughly seasoned all the way down to the bone, and the baking powder makes the skin super crispy. I usually dry brine for about 2-3 days. I used to say that the star of Thanksgiving dinner was the sides, but after trying dry brining, I now look forward to the turkey just as much as the sides.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Brining bag is the easiest. But definitely put in a pan/pot something to hold it in case of leaks. I use a roasting pan. Then you can put whole thing in fridge. A lot of people like the fire and flavor brining mix but I have never used it. I have used the Alton Brown recipe on food network and also the Pioneer Woman one. Both were good. You can also get a pre-brined turkey. I know Whole Foods and Trader Joe’s have them.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    Dry brine!

https://www.seriouseats.com/2014/11/...nksgiving.html

I used to wet brine using a dedicated bucket, but hated the hassle. Then I tried dry brining one year and will never go back to wet brining again. The meat is thoroughly seasoned all the way down to the bone, and the baking powder makes the skin super crispy. I usually dry brine for about 2-3 days. I used to say that the star of Thanksgiving dinner was the sides, but after trying dry brining, I now look forward to the turkey just as much as the sides.
    Ooooh, brining is so good, but a wet brine is such a PITA. I am going to see if DH will try this dry brine method instead! Thanks for sharing!
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

They just did a dry brined turkey on Food Network’s The Kitchen yesterday. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foo...ey-9539638.amp I was surprised (though I shouldn’t be) that it was a multi day thing. I was intrigued but I’ll let dh decide.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're going with the Good Eats brine from "Romancing the Bird" (first Thanksgiving special) because I have most of the ingredients already on hand and grocery stores are weird.

In the deep-fried turkey episode, Alton Brown recommends using one of those large drinks coolers with the spigot as your brining vessel. (We're not going to buy a drinks cooler for this purpose, but the idea is intriguing.)

We'll be buying a Home Depot bucket (which we will clean thoroughly, label for future use, and figure out storage for) and will line it with a turkey roasting bag rather than a trash bag.

I'm going to bookmark that Serious Eats dry-brine, though - we're kind of pressed for time bc we don't have the turkey yet (DH is still hopeful we will score a "free" one at the grocery store, but as it's frozen, we have to also take thawing into account) - because I may use that for future turkeys. Kenji's recipes are always well-written, easy to follow, and consistently tasty.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

to our dry brine. Could be the recipe we used but going back to liquid next time. The pro was ease. Con was dried out with not much flavor. We even did an herbed butter rubbed all over (over and under the skin). Ah well. Live and learn!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast