Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    to our dry brine. Could be the recipe we used but going back to liquid next time. The pro was ease. Con was dried out with not much flavor. We even did an herbed butter rubbed all over (over and under the skin). Ah well. Live and learn!
    Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. I just finished my lunch of turkey leftovers and was thinking to myself how deeply seasoned the meat was all the way down to the bone. I didn't even need gravy, it was that flavorful and moist. I hate bland meat. I'm very, very liberal when I apply the salt, and I dry brine for at least 48 hours.

I wish you could come to my house so I could show you how I do it! Sorry about your ruined turkey.

ETA: I took a look at the recipe you linked to, and noticed that it only calls for 3T of kosher salt. The recipe I follow calls for at least double that amount. So maybe your recipe doesn't use enough salt for it to really work its way into the fibers?
    Last edited by wencit; 11-28-2020 at 04:19 PM.
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    Sorry to hear it didn't go well for you. I just finished my lunch of turkey leftovers and was thinking to myself how deeply seasoned the meat was all the way down to the bone. I didn't even need gravy, it was that flavorful and moist. I hate bland meat. I'm very, very liberal when I apply the salt, and I dry brine for at least 48 hours.

I wish you could come to my house so I could show you how I do it! Sorry about your ruined turkey.

ETA: I took a look at the recipe you linked to, and noticed that it only calls for 3T of kosher salt. The recipe I follow calls for at least double that amount. So maybe your recipe doesn't use enough salt for it to really work its way into the fibers?
    One of the other recipes about dry brine cautioned about too much salt so it freaked me out. I used 1/3c of kosher salt.
    I noticed in your link that if said to cover it. Other cooking shows and recipes said not to. Do you cover yours? We didn’t. 🤷*♀️

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    One of the other recipes about dry brine cautioned about too much salt so it freaked me out. I used 1/3c of kosher salt.
    I noticed in your link that if said to cover it. Other cooking shows and recipes said not to. Do you cover yours? We didn’t. 路*♀️
    My turkey is well coated with salt. If it bothers you, you can brush off any excess salt before roasting. I err on the side of too much salt than not enough. Like I said, I hate bland meat.

Yes, I do cover it with plastic wrap because otherwise too much moisture can be lost through evaporation. Maybe that also contributed to your dry bird?
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wencit View Post
    My turkey is well coated with salt. If it bothers you, you can brush off any excess salt before roasting. I err on the side of too much salt than not enough. Like I said, I hate bland meat.

Yes, I do cover it with plastic wrap because otherwise too much moisture can be lost through evaporation. Maybe that also contributed to your dry bird?
    The anti-covering people were so persuasive! I should have followed my gut on that one.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

Back here to say my turkey was a success!!!! yes, the frozen pre-basted turkey was great. I used Joy of cooking recipe-but carrot, celery, onion,herbs in the cavity. Roasted it upside down for 2 hours and then right side up for 1.5 hours. Basted with lots of butter. It was reallly good!!! Very proud of myself!!!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Back here to say my turkey was a success!!!! yes, the frozen pre-basted turkey was great. I used Joy of cooking recipe-but carrot, celery, onion,herbs in the cavity. Roasted it upside down for 2 hours and then right side up for 1.5 hours. Basted with lots of butter. It was reallly good!!! Very proud of myself!!!!!
    I was going to post and ask - great news!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2