Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by musicalgrl View Post
    I’m currently outfitting a rental and would love to chat about ideas for good quality items that won’t break the bank!

Edited to add: I tried to DM you erosenst but your mailbox is full.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Share what you find! Turns out we are now semi-responsible for replacing stuff at MIL's beach house, and we aren't loving the glasses BIL acquired. They're too big for our hands, too big for the coasters, and too heavy for our kids. He was so proud of his selection.

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry about DM's - cleaned out and answered musicgrl but then saw WatchingThemGrow. So....

* Sheets - I really like the brushed microfiber ones. Dirt cheap and I love the feel. Only thing is that they can't be washed on hot or they will pill - so we leave a note about that in the welcome book. Two to look at - https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasic...s%2C185&sr=8-5 and https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. The second are a little thicker and we like a little better - but really only a little. Key to both is to open the package and make sure no runs or pills - we've had that issue a couple times. Send back and exchange.

For towels we've used mid-grade and been happy. Caro brand at Home Goods, Kohl's on sale, and Target Fieldcrest towels which looks like they don't carry any more. We had heard, and have learned, that people are shocked to have nice, good condition towels. At same time - pretty easy for people to get makeup or ProActiv (bleaches) on them and ruin them, so don't want to break the bank. So far (knock on wood) we haven't had either issue. Our condo sleeps 6 and we have 12 sets of towels.

In the kitchen we replaced dishes, wine glasses and drinking glasses. We're on round two of dishes - one set of renters chipped a bunch. Unclear if it was new dishwasher, they cooked more than others, or they weren't very careful. I tend to think a combo of the first two, as it was mostly dinner plates not cups and bowls. Once again went with Amazon Basics for the replacement set - $42 for set of 6 dinner plate/salad plate/bowls. https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasic...-garden&sr=1-2. Lots of different designs, and more choices of sizes if you want all white. (Note that the salad plate is a bit small.) We had mugs from the prior set (sigh) but Sweese brand comes in lots of colors and sizes, get great reviews, and are reasonable. Buy extra mugs - that's what usually chips.

Bed Bath and Beyond All Purpose wine glasses are $20 (without coupon) for 12 - https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...-12/1016755320. Only thing is that they are big - so a bit tricky in the dishwasher.

These drinking glasses have always gotten mixed reviews - but we've had them at home for almost 20 years and I think have broken none. $20 without coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond for 8 tall and 8 tumblers.
    -

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

Our condo came with nice, heavy, silverware so I didn't have to replace. Let me know what else would be helpful!

I love these recommendations and thank you for the DM as well! I’ll put my response here in case it’s helpful to anyone.

I bought sheets and towels from Home Goods to start. Hopefully they’ll hold up for at least a while. During my search I also found sheets I liked at Costco. They are microfiber and $15 for queen and $20 for king! The only downside is that they were not available in solid white, which I’ve heard is recommended for sheets and towels in rentals so that they can be bleached (do you agree?). But I bought a set for us to use and stored them in the owner’s closet. We used them while we were there and so far they’re really comfy. Thank you for the tip about not washing them in hot water.

We were left a set of pots and pans from previous owners and although they are functional, I think we could use an upgrade because some of the nonstick coating is starting to peel. Macy’s has a Tools of the Trade set that’s deeply discounted to $30 this weekend that I was tempted by, but it had no reviews so I was hesitant.

I’m also thinking of getting a vacuum and maybe a separate electric broom for tile floors. Our cleaner has her own, but I think it would be helpful to keep one there.

Regarding photos, do you have unique staging that sets you apart from the competition or are yours just more professional looking?

Default Financials of vacation rental property

We did medium gray and taupe for sheets for our Maine rental. I don’t love white sheets for up there as it’s on the water and in the woods and the white really gets dingy fast.

This set of cookie sheets/cake pans/muffin tins is a great buy and really holds up well https://www.walmart.com/ip/BakerEze-...1-2318f19a0ca7

Consumer Reports listed these as an excellent option for inexpensive pots and pans so we went with these and have been happy with them. AmazonBasics Non-Stick Cookware Set, Pots, Pans and Utensils - 15-Piece Set https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07481LPMF...ing=UTF8&psc=1

We have the performance bath towels from Target with the texture as I love the feel of those after the beach. We get lots of comments on how nice the towels are also.

I did get a set of black hand towels like these for makeup removal. We’ve had no issues with the main towels being stained since I got them
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JPZ9CM1..._JZSWFbXZB6DXX

We’ve also found by keeping a vacuum there, the renters will take it out and vacuum up sand, etc.

Since it’s on the water we stock beach towels, beach chairs, picnic basket, etc. All the things that I don’t want to have to bring up with me when we use it.

Last edited by billysmommy; 11-28-2020 at 06:21 PM.
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

I love these recommendations and thank you for the DM as well! I’ll put my response here in case it’s helpful to anyone.

I bought sheets and towels from Home Goods to start. Hopefully they’ll hold up for at least a while. During my search I also found sheets I liked at Costco. They are microfiber and $15 for queen and $20 for king! The only downside is that they were not available in solid white, which I’ve heard is recommended for sheets and towels in rentals so that they can be bleached (do you agree?). But I bought a set for us to use and stored them in the owner’s closet. We used them while we were there and so far they’re really comfy. Thank you for the tip about not washing them in hot water.

We were left a set of pots and pans from previous owners and although they are functional, I think we could use an upgrade because some of the nonstick coating is starting to peel. Macy’s has a Tools of the Trade set that’s deeply discounted to $30 this weekend that I was tempted by, but it had no reviews so I was hesitant.

I’m also thinking of getting a vacuum and maybe a separate electric broom for tile floors. Our cleaner has her own, but I think it would be helpful to keep one there.

Regarding photos, do you have unique staging that sets you apart from the competition or are yours just more professional looking?
    You can't bleach the microfiber - but you can use Oxiclean and that will keep them white. And maybe it's me - but white sheets always imply that the owner isn't trying to hide anything. If they do get dingy (ours really haven't) you can replace them - or maybe choose something else the next time.

On pots and pans - if the teflon is peeling I would definitely replace - it's not great for anyone to use them. I'd be tempted not to get nonstick - many people don't have them and don't know how to care for them. Having said that - this set is really well reviewed and at this price I'd try it once. https://smile.amazon.com/AmazonBasic...s%2C197&sr=8-7.

We have a regular vacuum - not sure how much it gets used but it's nice to have. We also have a dust buster and a eufy robovac - both get used a lot and I think really go a long way towards keeping it clean. I do think it helps to make it *really* easy for people to clean up after themselves.

For the pics - did stage a table scene so that people get a sense for the kinds of stuff we have. Otherwise, just clean and organized. (These are the dishes that got chipped, sigh - but same idea.) We are in SW Florida and many (MANY) of the rentals are full of dark furniture, and way too much of it - and the pics are badly lit on top of it. You can see them here. (We've updated a bit since, including taking down the red valance, but nothing major so won't get new pics for another year or so when main bath and maybe floors are done.) https://www.vrbo.com/1162314.

Since it’s on the water we stock beach towels, beach chairs, picnic basket, etc. All the things that I don’t want to have to bring up with me when we use it.
    Agree with this - we're a short drive to the beach and have towels, soft coolers, blue ice, chairs, an umbrella, beach bags etc.

I did get a set of black hand towels like these for makeup removal. We’ve had no issues with the main towels being stained since I got them
    We have navy washcloths in the main bath, although the hand towels are mostly white with a navy stripe. I got a stack of cheap navy washcloths too - my guess is those with a lot of makeup know to use those, but the white towels have stayed white so far .

Oh - on that note - get decent mattress pads (sigh) and know that you will need to make time for them to be washed and dried periodically. We opted not to get waterproof and haven't regretted that so far, but did spend a bit more for thicker ones. We got quilt/coverlets instead of duvets so they can be easily washed periodically as well. If you have to replace a lot of that at once, Amazon has nice solid color ones that are inexpensive - and you can add colorful pillows over time. We got these in white, and they are a nice thickness for Florida, and brushed and soft. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. If you need warmer poke around a bit - there are a lot of surprisingly inexpensive options now.

On the over time - we did have to get a lot at once to get it rentable - but I *tried* to focus on functional things. Over the last few years I've found a lot of the decorative things that make it more our style - but it's hard to find all of that at once without spending more than you need to do. (Funny looking at the pictures - I've done more than I thought - new kitchen light, new centerpiece in dining room and things for the shelves, finally figured out where to put printer instead of in living room, new lamps, etc etc )

Let me know what other questions I can answer!

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by erosenst View Post
    We are in SW Florida and many (MANY) of the rentals are full of dark furniture, and way too much of it - and the pics are badly lit on top of it. You can see them here. (We've updated a bit since, including taking down the red valance, but nothing major so won't get new pics for another year or so when main bath and maybe floors are done.) https://www.vrbo.com/1162314.
    Wow, it's looks amazing! I want to stay there!

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Haha, that was my first thought too!!

DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

We can still rent one more time this year - let me know

Your place looks so nice and bright. Very inviting! I love the decor. I’m sure it rents very well.

Thank you for all the links. I’m definitely tempted by the cookware and may grab that first.

I get frustrated by some of the renter damage stories I’ve heard. I understand that accidents happen and I’m ok with that. But chipping several dishes sounds like someone was pretty rough. Sorry to hear that happened.

I love your laundry room too. I bet you get nice comments about it.

I get frustrated by some of the renter damage stories I’ve heard. I understand that accidents happen and I’m ok with that. But chipping several dishes sounds like someone was pretty rough. Sorry to hear that happened.
    So it's funny - we've had a renter drop a toothbrush holder on the tile floor. It of course broke, and I would have put that under 'normal wear and tear' - they found the identical and replaced it before telling me. They also misplaced a corkscrew (one of two) and replaced that. Another dropped a drinking glass - found somewhere that sold by the piece and replaced it. I would file that under 'normal wear and tear' too.

The dishes were largely my fault - the reviews all said that they chip REALLY easily. They matched the kitchen well, and we're in an area where most eat dinner out most nights - so I took the risk. I think when someone used more of them (five people there the whole time and they ate most dinners in) it caught up. So - second round we went with 'really inexpensive but durable'. Will see how these hold up .

I love your laundry room too. I bet you get nice comments about it.
    Thanks! Funny - many of the units have cabinets. I wasn't a fan of that (because so hard to reach stuff in them) but at same time felt like it was really wasted storage. Just found some baskets that fit perfectly, and now hold beach towels, beach bags, etc. When we stop renting likely will keep extra supplies (TP/paper towels/ziplocs etc) there instead of in owners closet. Saves some of the back and forth to where the towels were, and frees up space in the small linen closet in one of the guest baths. Also less than $100 for baskets all the way across compared to probably $2k for cabinets. #winning - but I mention because things like that add up in a rental and finding less expensive solutions helps.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3