Default Anyone tried cooking subscription for kids?

Which one did you try? Was it good, kid friendly with good variety of recipes?

Masterchef junior
    Curious chef
    Harlow harvest
    Abs raddish.

DS1 will be 10 in few months and DS2 nearly 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Mummy to DS1-6/11 and DS2-1/14

Hi, I don't have any experience with the ones you listed, but 14 yo DD tested a few recipes for America's Test Kitchen Kids and they turned out really well. They offer a subscription as well as a lot of free content online. We would have been all over the kitchen classroom if she was younger as it looks fabulous. It looks like it would be a perfect fit for your guys age wise.

Main page including subscription information:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...=global_header

Tons of free kitchen classroom content:

https://www.americastestkitchen.com/...chen-classroom

"We know that many of you are going to be home for the foreseeable future, and are probably in search of things to do. Our recommendation? Get in the kitchen! You'll get to spend quality time with your family, learn new skills, and end up with something delicious to eat.

Every week, we’re going to give you a series of recipes, hands-on activities and experiments, and fun food quizzes to tackle in the kitchen. Think of it as a sort of kitchen curriculum, composed of recipes, activities, and quizzes, with one or two simpler recipes or activities for weekdays and a bigger project the whole family can accomplish on Saturday or Sunday. We’ll strive to include as many pantry-friendly recipes as possible, to minimize grocery runs. Feel free to make swaps and substitutions as you need to make this work for your family."
    Last edited by jawilli4; 11-23-2020 at 10:03 AM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by DualvansMommy View Post
    Which one did you try? Was it good, kid friendly with good variety of recipes?
    Abs raddish.

Not me, but my co-leader got Raddish for her middle daughter (she'll be 8 in February.) Two years ago, our Brownies used the pate a choux recipe to make cream puffs at one meeting and I was really impressed by how well-written and clear the instructions are.

DD is 10 and we have an assortment of kids' cookbooks; we like the Williams-Sonoma Kid Chef cookbook best.

We also like the recipes from Chop Chop magazine - https://www.chopchopfamily.org - their beef stew and chicken soup factor heavily into our cold weather meal rotation!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We have gotten Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, or Martha and Marley Spoon pretty consistently since Dd1 was 12. All have their pluses and minuses, but I think Hello Fresh is probably the easiest, but Dd1 now 14 just cooked a complete Hello Fresh meal last week (with a little help from Dd2-10) on her own. I know this may not apply to the OP, but if anyone has older kids who are confident in cooking that Hello Fresh is pretty easy to manage on their own. Dd1 made some rolled tacos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

I don't know if you're asking specifically about recipe kits or meal prep kits. I've tried several of the meal kits over the years (Hello Fresh, Blue Apron, Purple Carrot, etc) and find that they don't really teach any new kitchen skills.

We have been getting Raddish Kids for about 3-4 years. It is just three themed recipes and a cooking tool, so you have to go buy your own ingredients. It is amazing. My husband is pretty skeptical about spendy stuff like that, but even he raves about it and tells all his colleagues to get it for their kids and grandkids.
    The recipes are really well written--I've never had one not work.
    They're kid-friendly--dozens of them have entered our meal rotation.
    They actively teach my kids kitchen skills--each month has a technique, whether making a roux or chopping an onion or whatever--and have truly made my kids much more confident in the kitchen than I was until my mid-20s.
    They motivate my kids to try new things that we never would have tried--especially foods from other cultures than our own that just seemed overwhelming before.
    They are pretty healthy (I mean, my hardcore Malibu friends who only serve brussel sprout salads at their kids' birthday parties would turn up their nose at some of the creamier recipes, but they're generally healthier than the typical fare I grew up on in the Midwest--meatballs made with zucchini and ground turkey rather than beef, etc). And they have substitutions for dietary restrictions on their website.
    There's a good variety of types of recipes from month to month, so it's not just variations on the same grain/protein bowls that a lot of the Hello Fresh type kits seem to send me.
    The tools they include are actually useful and decent quality--after years of getting it, we've had a couple duplicates (but with five kids I find I can never have too many little spatulas), but my most-used utensil crock is mostly filled with Raddish kitchen tools.

My kids start helping with Raddish type recipes around age 7 with some of my supervision, but my 11 and 13 year olds can make an entire meal of Raddish recipes with zero help from me.

I seriously have no connection to the company. I'm truly just a very happy subscriber.
    Sharing advice/encouragement for homeschoolers at Homeschooling for Normal People

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not exactly what you asked, but if your kids would prefer learning live with an actual instructor my 11 year old DS2 has taken dozens of virtual cooking classes since March through both Outschool and our local cooking school BLVD Kitchen. Since they're virtual you can join from all over the country. You have to buy the ingredients, but then you have the live instructor to teach them the skills and help them through the recipes.

https://www.theblvdkitchen.com/#cooking-classes-section
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AustenFan View Post

My kids start helping with Raddish type recipes around age 7 with some of my supervision, but my 11 and 13 year olds can make an entire meal of Raddish recipes with zero help from me.

I seriously have no connection to the company. I'm truly just a very happy subscriber.
    Would you say this is a good gift for a 13yo? Or does it skew a little younger? The kid I have in mind would probably enjoy this if it wasn’t too challenging but has fun and tasty recipes.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.