Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Quick kitchen cabinet rebuild questions

Hi everyone-
    I have another quick kitchen renovation question. We are completing remodeling the kitchen of the home we just bought. We are putting in custom white shaker cabinets. The cabinet maker suggested European versus regular inset. Our decorator (who works with the cabinet maker) said that "everyone" is doing European now. I'm curious to hear other's thoughts on these two styles. European gives you a little more space but is frameless and regular inset has the frame and is more expensive. Would love to to hear thoughts. Thank you in advance.

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

We did not do inset, our doors and drawers were outside the frame. We remodeled in 2019 though. I would do whatever you prefer style wise. We had either partial or full overlay according to this cabinet manufacturer (I found when I did a search for European inset cabinets):
    https://www.bestonlinecabinets.com/b...cabinet-terms/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wait...the European inset is cheaper?? I always thought inset was more expensive!! If it's cheaper, then totally do the European inset! Maybe the European inset is more expensive in terms of labor though - check on that...inset cabinets have to be perfectly aligned. IMO, inset "looks more expensive". However, we have regular (and very basic) shaker cabinets in our master bath, since they were cheaper, and it looks just fine.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Quick kitchen cabinet rebuild questions

I prefer the cleanest, most accessible cabinets possible. Big, no bars between double opening cabinets, full doors that overlay the cabinet boxes.

In my experience, designers try to get you to buy all kinds of specialty cabinets, many more “tall/thin” cabinets vs. big open space efficient cabinets. I found it insanely helpful to meet with the cabinet maker in my space and speak to the maker directly rather than using lingo I wasn’t up on. Pictures were helpful.

Also, I learned that when Wanting shaker cabinets bc everyone uses them now, it dictated the designers’ need for “matching” or balancing all the rectangles. Going with full slab fronts, we were able to get 3 sets of cabinets in custom sizes to fit our space rather than some crazy combination of 24” and 9” and 12” cabinets and fillers they suggested.

Imagine that far wall with a billion tall rectangles. It’s so much more peaceful with slab doors. We have interior Blum hinges and frameless cabinets. (At least I think!)

For the drawers in the pantry cabinet (not shown) I realized the ikea ones had tall sides on the pull-out boxes, and we asked for maybe 2” lips on the pull-out shelves since we use a lot of container store multi purpose bins to stack/group pantry items. We wanted full visibility for our goods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by WatchingThemGrow; 11-24-2020 at 12:34 PM.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

also realizing European inset HINGES is what your designer means. Look at the second picture on this link. The hinge is inset in the door.
    https://www.homedepot.com/p/Blum-Blu...180U/205417374

Not inset cabinet doors like these.

https://www.google.com/search?q=inse...uuXsDY7C48s64M

hwin708 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I think there's a little confusion here.

There is frameless vs. framed cabinetry. Frameless is commonly called European cabinetry. If you are between standard framed cabinetry and frameless, then yes, frameless all the way. It is better constructed and gives you more room.

Inset, by its nature, is framed. However it is not an overlay door, but instead, obviously, an inset door. You definitely lose space inside the cabinet for this. The reason to choose inset is for the look, not for the practicality. Inset cabinetry is also more timeless, and less likely to look dated a decade from now. Inset cabinetry always costs more because it is a lot trickier to precisely build and install the door/drawer fronts to sit perfectly inside the frame.

When your designer says "everyone" is doing frameless now, I would agree with that statement in terms of traditional framed cabinetry vs frameless. Frameless is the superior product, and if you were planning something like a partial overlay door, a full overlay door with frameless cabinetry is definitely the higher end choice. I would not, however, agree that "everyone" is doing frameless over inset. This is pretty easily confirmed in any design magazine. High-end kitchens are still very likely to be inset, barring those with modern design (which are then full overlay frameless).

If you don't have a strong preference for the LOOK of inset cabinets, then go with frameless. It will net you a lot more storage space in your cabinets. If you like the look of inset, though, you will never replicate that feel with frameless. Note, there is the option to mix the two, with some people doing one style for their lower cabinets and the other for their uppers.

Euro hinges are a different discussion entirely. They are bulkier than traditional hinges, but sturdier, so your doors are less likely to sit crooked and need adjusting over time. They also have modern features like soft close. For the most part, people go with euro hinges these days, unless they seriously dislike the appearance or they want exposed hinges on the exterior.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Yes! Thank you. I definitely admit to being confused. He recommended European (frameless) because it is less expensive. He and my designer told me I wouldn't notice the difference on the outside however, when I looked at the final pictures, the difference was very clear! We like the look of inset and normally, I wouldn't want to give up any cabinet space but this kitchen has a lot. I also saw some photos of kitchens that I thought were mixed. Some had frames in between and some didn't. I like that look as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by hwin708 View Post
    I think there's a little confusion here.

There is frameless vs. framed cabinetry. Frameless is commonly called European cabinetry. If you are between standard framed cabinetry and frameless, then yes, frameless all the way. It is better constructed and gives you more room.

Inset, by its nature, is framed. However it is not an overlay door, but instead, obviously, an inset door. You definitely lose space inside the cabinet for this. The reason to choose inset is for the look, not for the practicality. Inset cabinetry is also more timeless, and less likely to look dated a decade from now. Inset cabinetry always costs more because it is a lot trickier to precisely build and install the door/drawer fronts to sit perfectly inside the frame.

When your designer says "everyone" is doing frameless now, I would agree with that statement in terms of traditional framed cabinetry vs frameless. Frameless is the superior product, and if you were planning something like a partial overlay door, a full overlay door with frameless cabinetry is definitely the higher end choice. I would not, however, agree that "everyone" is doing frameless over inset. This is pretty easily confirmed in any design magazine. High-end kitchens are still very likely to be inset, barring those with modern design (which are then full overlay frameless).

If you don't have a strong preference for the LOOK of inset cabinets, then go with frameless. It will net you a lot more storage space in your cabinets. If you like the look of inset, though, you will never replicate that feel with frameless. Note, there is the option to mix the two, with some people doing one style for their lower cabinets and the other for their uppers.

Euro hinges are a different discussion entirely. They are bulkier than traditional hinges, but sturdier, so your doors are less likely to sit crooked and need adjusting over time. They also have modern features like soft close. For the most part, people go with euro hinges these days, unless they seriously dislike the appearance or they want exposed hinges on the exterior.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Ahhhh thank you hwin for the explanation!! Makes total sense! I wonder whether inset cabinets have a higher likelihood to become misaligned over time as homes shift and settle (which is the norm for the soil type we have here). I assume the doors and drawers can be adjusted somewhat...but if the cabinet frame is not perfectly square over time, that could become difficult? I don't know. Just trying to come up with things to think of

So our cabinets are framed, and a partial overlay (thanks to hwin's explanation). It's definitely a more traditional look. We had them painted a soft white in our kitchen update and it looks modern enough now with the new backsplash and our already dark granite counters, and new flooring but it definitely leans a little "updated cottage" vs "modern". And I have scraped my knuckles enough times on the center support when putting away dishes to be a little annoyed that it has to be there...think of those 2 car garages that are separated by a brick column in the center of the 2 spaces...

I personally like the look of shaker cabinets and think that it's "elaborate" enough to offset the more modern lines of frameless. Plus once you add your appliances, knobs, something green (our designer says there must always be something green - fake or real plant), something black (same quote from our designer! It could be a cast iron pan that looks lovely sitting on the stove, or some black in a piece of artwork, or some black in a window dressing), etc, it will really warm up and look nice!

In the end if your budge allows, then totally choose the look you like!