Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

One of my patients just got a care package from family, it had a teddy bear and the note said her grandkids hugged it before they sent it so when she hugged it she would feel their love. She does not have dementia but enjoys having something soft to hold. I'd also go the traditional teddy bear not a squashmellow for an adult. Something but too full, with floppy arms and legs.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I vote for something like jgenie's Jellycat linked above. Soft, cuddly, squishable, and traditional. I figure if a senior citizen is requesting a teddy bear, they would like one that's traditional in looks (rather than something like a Squishmallow). But that's just me! Aurora is another good brand, lots of options on Amazon and their toys are so soft, cuddly, and squishy. And VERY affordable.
    Another vote for a traditional type teddy bear! Several that PPs have suggested look like they’d be soft enough but still look like teddy bears should look

Anything called a Squishmallow is not an old timey bear!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    One of my patients just got a care package from family, it had a teddy bear and the note said her grandkids hugged it before they sent it so when she hugged it she would feel their love. She does not have dementia but enjoys having something soft to hold. I'd also go the traditional teddy bear not a squashmellow for an adult. Something but too full, with floppy arms and legs.

Such a great idea! Just ordered one for my kids to send my mom! I went with the jellycat.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I really like the bears that have an almost "minky/chenille" type fur and that is really floppy vs a more structured bear, the patients seem to be able to squish them and have them cuddle better than a more formed/hard bear, just something to keep in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by mom2binsd View Post
    I really like the bears that have an almost "minky/chenille" type fur and that is really floppy vs a more structured bear, the patients seem to be able to squish them and have them cuddle better than a more formed/hard bear, just something to keep in mind.

The Jellycat bunnies would mostly fit this description.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

California is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

That jellycat bear is very sweet!

This Gund "Philbin" one has reviews from adults who bought the bear for themselves:https://www.amazon.com/GUND-Philbin-...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I ordered the Jellycat one and it should arrive soon. I'll give it a cuddle test and make my decision.
    Follow up though- my mom gave me the gift tag and it's a male that requested the blanket and teddy bear. I got a little mug with faux greenery in it as a tabletop decoration. I figured it was small enough to not be a burden and might add a little festivity. I also got a box of chocolates because someone on here once said that sometimes folks in assisted living like being able to have treats to offer visitors. I'm still not close to what I would ideally spend but I am 100% stumped. I know nothing of the recipient- no sizes, interests. Is there something else I should consider? The gift is due Friday so not a lot of time to order anything extra online but can go out to a store.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I ordered the Jellycat one and it should arrive soon. I'll give it a cuddle test and make my decision.
    Follow up though- my mom gave me the gift tag and it's a male that requested the blanket and teddy bear. I got a little mug with faux greenery in it as a tabletop decoration. I figured it was small enough to not be a burden and might add a little festivity. I also got a box of chocolates because someone on here once said that sometimes folks in assisted living like being able to have treats to offer visitors. I'm still not close to what I would ideally spend but I am 100% stumped. I know nothing of the recipient- no sizes, interests. Is there something else I should consider? The gift is due Friday so not a lot of time to order anything extra online but can go out to a store.
    What about including a nice card with it? I sent these to my aunts in a nursing home because they are easy to fold up and put away, they are unusual and a conversation started when family comes to visit. I’ve seen so many times when family and friends visit with the elderly and nobody knows what to say. My kids and I have been guilty of this too. These are expensive but very fun with a nice selection: https://www.lovepopcards.com/product...et-pop-up-card. You can also find similar cards at Walgreens since time is short.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SnuggleBuggles View Post
    I would add in warm fuzzy socks and maybe slippers if your budget allows. If he can’t use them, I’m sure they’ll get used by another resident.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    I would add in warm fuzzy socks and maybe slippers if your budget allows. If he can’t use them, I’m sure they’ll get used by another resident.
    I had the same idea, but if possible, get NON-SKID socks!

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast