Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I have had 2 other body part surgeries without anesthesia. Don't ask. I would do either of those again in a heartbeat over getting ANY dental procedures, so me even opening this thread is a monumental step for me. I have zero tolerance for dental pain. I also don't tolerate pain meds, they make me vomit, not really something that was fun with my wisdom teeth holes.

All that being said, yeah, I'd look into it. Because of it being mouth related, I'm looking to you guys to do the research for me for when the time comes for my kiddo. Nerve blocks can be wonderful things and reduce the use of the more worrisome pain meds.

DS had his out over christmas. He had some percocet for the day of/bedtimes and then we alternated tylenol and prescription strength motrin.
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Both my kids only took Advil after their wisdom teeth removal and my daughter also had dry sockets.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I think mine had Percocet. I think they may have taken a dose or 2 the following day and one before bed the second he one side was a pretty rough extraction but for the most part ibuprofen worked fine I’m not sure I would want to be numb for 2 + days after a dental procedure
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

Liziz is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I know nothing about Exparal, but reading the PP's description of it, I would definitely figure out if it has a similar effect to novocaine (i.e. - does it leave your mouth with that numb feeling?) and then talk to your son about his preferences. I *hate* the feeling of a numb mouth -- when I have had dental procedures I am very miserable until the novocaine wears off. I would 100% choose the pain of the wisdom teeth removal over the misery of a numb mouth. I realize I don't know if that's what Exparal actually does, but definitely figure out before getting it!

I also had my wisdom teeth out around 19, including a couple that were impacted, and dealt with a dry socket as well. I never took anything more than OTC ibuprofen and tylenol (alternating btwn the two for overlapping coverage) and really was never in terrible pain.

Biggest thing I credit with an easy recovery is that I wore a hoodie sweatshirt (key being something with a hood). I'd pull the hood up, stick an ice pack on each side, and tie the hood tight -- it kept the ice packs in place very easily, which means I kept the ice packs on much more.
    Lizi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2