Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Family Game suggestions for family with littler kids?

My sister has an 8yo and a 3yo. Are there any great game suggestions that aren't super common? We'd like to get them a game this year for Christmas.

TIA!

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We like Rory's story cubes and memory for games that span all ages. Keeping the interest of an 8 year old and easy enough for a 3 year old is tough.

We have some family friends where the 3 year old beats the 7 yo in memory to the point of abuse, so it's not age dependent

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Memory and Uno both come to mind, with a "maybe" on Chutes and Ladders or Trouble. That age gap is a stumper!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

My kids have same age gap. Granted my DS1 skewed a little young, but we liked Busytown game, Orchard, Trouble (DS2 would be on my team) and Curious George Zoo hide and seek. If they are star wars fans, we liked Chompin' Chewy.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Default Family Game suggestions for family with littler kids?

My kids are 3 and almost 7. We play Uno (3 year old plays on a team with an adult but does pretty well), operation, Make a Pie (supposed to teach fractions but don’t have to get that part to play), Build a Robot, Cootie, memory, and this silly game we got in a chick FIL a kids meal years ago called Raccoon Rumpus (assuming that isn’t a real thing you can buy?). I think Go Fish and Jenna would be good but we haven’t tried them yet with the little one. For card games we bought a 2 pack of card holders that I saw recommended here a while ago that are really helpful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

About 15 years ago several moms here recommended the board game company, Family Pastimes. They got great reviews on Amazon and were inexpensive from 9.99-14.99. I just went to Amazon to find a link and there are almost no good reviews. Does Amazon ever scrap all their reviews and start over? Several of the games that we own and bought from Amazon (and which I reviewed) have almost no reviews. I don’t understand what happened.

Anyway, these are fantastic, cooperative games. We own 4 of them. My kids and I loved them. All the players work together to save the princess, or bring the necessary items to the party, etc. This eliminates the inevitable screaming of the toddlers for not winning the game. Our favorites were Princess (everyone works to save the Princess from the dungeon) and Funny Face. Funny face made my kids laugh in hysterics. Part of the game was taking a card which made you mime something (a galloping giraffe, eating corn on the cob, swatting at mosquitoes in a swamp, etc) until it was your turn again. Frequently the whole family was hopping around the room miming something at the same time. Another one we liked was Max.

You can find them on Amazon but the reviews aren’t great for some reason. I thought they were clever and creative and drew us together as a family. Nobody goes away feeling disaappinted. You can also find them here: https://familypastimes.com/products/...f11274c8&_ss=r
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 11-24-2020 at 10:31 PM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

bw52 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

My kids love sleeping queens, too. Ages 3 -11 here.

Spot it Jr

hwin708 is online now Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Kids Charades

The littlest kids need an adult "helper" to read the card to them and act it out a little alongside them (for the sake of those guessing), but they still find the whole thing hilarious and participation very easy.
    #BidenHarris2020 “It’s easier to be a parent this morning. It’s easier to be a dad. It’s easier to tell your kids character matters. It matters. Telling the truth matters. Being a good person matters.”

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks for all the suggestions! I remember all my kids really liking the Busy Town game. It is a little juvenile for the 8yo perhaps but I think mine would still love to play it.

I've never played Sleeping Queens and heard so much about it. I'm going to check that one out. Lots of other great suggestions too!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast