Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Hoping for the best.... expecting the worst

I feel like I may have a front row seat (from afar) on a super-spreader event.

My sister, her DH (recent kidney donor), college age niece and nephew and high school aged nephew traveled to Florida last weekend for a large mask-less, no social distancing family (BIL's side) wedding. The wedding was outside but the reception was indoors - but they "avoided the dance floor"?!

The five of them are staying in a 3 bedroom vacation condo and my parents (mid 70's) have now joined them all for Thanksgiving. Last time I spoke with my mom, they had decided it was too risky to meet up with my sister for Thanksgiving. I have no idea what they are all thinking! I zoomed with them tonight, expecting my mom to be at her house, but no, she there in the condo with everyone - not a mask in sight....

I don't even know how to process my feelings about this. I'm mad, worried, upset and dreading the next 6 weeks...
    DS 2/09

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry, that really sucks! I too don't understand people's decisions. One of my best friends moved from CA to Montana during the pandemic, where there's very few precautions being taken. She spent 7 hours making a super detailed mask for her Halloween costume but then didn't wear it because no one else was wearing masks at the 3 crowded bars she attended with a friend on Halloween. 4 days after Halloween she started having symptoms and 3 days later tested positive. The friend she was with was symptom free the night they hung out but her husband was sick, then she got sick, and now at least 1 of her 2 kids are sick. They don't see the point in being tested even though they both work in restaurants and both kids are in school! My friend now regrets not being more careful since she's still dealing with uncomfortable chest pain and lung issues. Fingers crossed that no one in your family gets sick.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yeah, I don't get it either, but then again I live in NY where compliance is just beaten into our heads by our Governor every.single.day for better or worse. I hope for your family's sake that it all turns out ok.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Probably not helpful and not the best response, but I’d be tempted to tell your sister, “If you kill mom, I’ll never forgive you.”

My mom’s in a tough situation. My brother and I don’t live close enough to see her every Thanksgiving anyway and we won’t be getting together with anyone this year. But my mom is married to a man (who for the record we love too) who has five adult children of his own and they are still deciding whether to come over for Thanksgiving. My mom has said she will take a book and drive to a nearby lake and avoid the festivities, but that’s not going to do her a lot of good if they get her husband sick who she lives with. I’m hopeful their plans have changed as they’ve seen the news of the last week or so but if they come over and get my mom sick I will never let them forget it. . We thought of having her up here since she’s at risk there anyway, but we feel like that will just double her risk as she will return home to her DH before long and we’ll have just added exposure to my kids who are attending school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the commiseration, everyone! It isn't even just my family that I'm worried about. The wedding was huge! And I did see a picture with one server wearing a mask... Otherwise you could never tell that the event happened in 2020. Now I'm feeling terrible for all of the people who work at the venue... Talk about a catch-22.
    DS 2/09

niccig is online now Clean Sweep forum moderator

We’re in similar situation. SIL, BIL, teen nephew went to indoor restaurant for sporting team party. Next day, they saw MIL. A few days later they have symptoms, tested positive for Covid, and a few days after that, other family members who live in the house, also test positive. We’ve been crossing fingers that MIL saw them too soon after exposure for them to be contagious, it’s been 10 days and MIL doesn’t have symptoms. DH feels it was irresponsible of his sister to expose MIL all for a sports party. If they insisted on going, then quarantine afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

And I found out via Facebook that they had Thanksgiving dinner with 20 other people ... All of whom had been to (hosting!) the wedding... So if my sister’s family had miraculously escaped being exposed last week, they all had an opportunity to be exposed again! I am beyond, beyond knowing how to deal with this. I ducked my mom’s call yesterday and I don’t even know how to speak to her without completely ignoring the situation. I hate this....
    DS 2/09

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

I'm sorry. I hope they all turn out okay.
    Kris

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Aaaargh! That's so irresponsible and frustrating.

for Sandy Hook

UGH, this is so frustrating.
    Angie

Mom to
    DD- 9/09-9/09
    DS- 2011 DS2- 2012 DS3- 2015 DD-2019