Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Need baby/toddler Hanukkah gift

My nephew is 6 months and I would like to send him something for the holiday. My SIL is culturally Jewish (my brother is a lapsed Catholic), but they do not go to synagogue or any kind of Jewish religious service (other than weddings, Bat or Bar Mitzvahs or funeral/memorial service). What do you all recommend? Wooden toy, rattle? Board book?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Same thing you’d get a non-Jewish 6 mo old. Board books are always good
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    Same thing you’d get a non-Jewish 6 mo old. Board books are always good
    Thanks. I was thinking something related to Hanukkah. Sorry I wasn’t clear, and if offended. I just remember years ago someone or someone related to someone here was offended that their kid was given the Mensch on the Bench or a signing Dreidel teddy bear. Don’t want to start off the Hanukkah giving with something that might offend. I do funny kitschy stuff for SIL, but not sure how much kitsch she wants for her son.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-25-2020 at 02:31 PM.
    Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking something related to Hanukkah.

I don’t think I ever got Hanukkah related Hanukkah gifts as a child. If there is something specific, generally a Jewish relative or close friend friend will get it. Kind of like it would be weird for a Jewish person to purchase a kids bible or a cross for a Christian child.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I don’t think I ever got Hanukkah related Hanukkah gifts as a child. If there is something specific, generally a Jewish relative or close friend friend will get it. Kind of like it would be weird for a Jewish person to purchase a kids bible or a cross for a Christian child.
    Cross posted with my update. I didn’t grow up with Jewish friends until I was in high school and college (and we weren’t close enough to exchange gifts) so this is new to me, and the rest of my family. Just thought it would be fun to send him something.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is your family so I'm assuming you're somewhat close. I think its appropriate to ask what their intentions are to celebrate holidays. Will they celebrate one or the other or both? Or neither? Just let her know you'd like to support her wishes.

I like giving ornaments with a note yearly. Its a tradition my cousin started for my kids and now that she's gone, those notes and ornaments are everything to us. But that may not work if they are only celebrating Hanukkah.

Otherwise, books, a soft toy and diapers are my go to baby gifts.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Thanks. I was thinking something related to Hanukkah. Sorry I wasn’t clear, and if offended. I just remember years ago someone or someone related to someone here was offended that their kid was given the Mensch on the Bench or a signing Dreidel teddy bear. Don’t want to start off the Hanukkah giving with something that might offend. I do funny kitschy stuff for SIL, but not sure how much kitsch she wants for her son.

Definitely do not get any kitschy Jewish stuff. That is reserved for Jews to purchase for each other. Just get him something you would get any kid that age. Don’t treat him any different because he’s Jewish. And it sounds like they are non-practicing, so I’d stay away from anything religious.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    This is your family so I'm assuming you're somewhat close. I think its appropriate to ask what their intentions are to celebrate holidays. Will they celebrate one or the other or both? Or neither? Just let her know you'd like to support her wishes.

I like giving ornaments with a note yearly. Its a tradition my cousin started for my kids and now that she's gone, those notes and ornaments are everything to us. But that may not work if they are only celebrating Hanukkah.

Otherwise, books, a soft toy and diapers are my go to baby gifts.
    Definitely do not get an ornament as a Hanukkah present. The majority of Jews I know would be very offended.

But I agree to ask what their intentions are in terms of holiday celebrations. If they are celebrating both, just get him a Christmas present. I’m sure your SIL’s family will get the baby Hanukkah presents.

Sorry if I’m responding a lot of this thread. As a non-practicing Jew who grew up in Southern California and now lives in super white and Christian Iowa, I get easily riled up on the topic.
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

Philly Mom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Definitely do not get an ornament as a Hanukkah present. The majority of Jews I know would be very offended.

But I agree to ask what their intentions are in terms of holiday celebrations. If they are celebrating both, just get him a Christmas present. I’m sure your SIL’s family will get the baby Hanukkah presents.

Sorry if I’m responding a lot of this thread. As a non-practicing Jew who grew up in Southern California and now lives in super white and Christian Iowa, I get easily riled up on the topic.
    I agree with all of this. I am Jewish. My XH is not. I appreciate his parents may send a Hanukah card or gelt, but in general they send xmas presents. If we did not do xmas as a family, I would expect them to send gifts for Hanukah. I would hope none of the gifts had a Jewish bent. They are just gifts. Hanukah has almost no religious relevance other than falling at the same time as Xmas.

Definitely do not get any kitschy Jewish stuff. That is reserved for Jews to purchase for each other. Just get him something you would get any kid that age. Don’t treat him any different because he’s Jewish. And it sounds like they are non-practicing, so I’d stay away from anything religious.
    Not planning on treating him any differently because he is 1/4 Jewish, and 3/4 Catholic and we are Catholic. I just wanted to send a little something like a wooden Dreidel rattle, stuffed Dreidel or Menorah (my Dd2 had a stuffed tree to decorate when she was a toddler....it was what honestly made me think of this) because I usually send his mom something as well.

I would not do a Hanukkah ornament at all. They do have a Christmas tree and it is up already, but yes I wouldn’t touch that with a 10 ft. poll even for someone who celebrates both holidays. That is something you buy for yourself. My SIL’s mom is a lapsed Catholic as well, and from what I understood they have always done both holidays. I was at her parents house many years ago during the holidays and they had a tree up as well.

I get the sensitivity to religious things. I am Catholic abs grew up in a predominantly Christian area where Christians often chose not to learn about Catholicism and still managed to preach that Catholicism was not the right branch of Christianity. Hugs.

Annie
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast