Thread: Uti???

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Uti???

Ugh...

As someone with lots of experience with IBS, I am use to random abdominal and back pain.

After two weeks of "regular" IBS pain, that crosses the midline, ect., I am not sure how to handle this "frequent urgency to pee" issue combined with pain on only one side.

About 7 years ago I had a horrendous experience with kidney stones (emergency surgery, no followup care, it was aweful) and 20+ years ago I had a kidney infection. Those are my only reference points for this.

This just hurts and I have to pee constantly if I am at all hydrated. I went in this morning and gave a very small sample (that was not my plan, but IBS sometimes gets in the way). The doctor said there was no blood in the sample. Does that rule out kidney stones completely? The sample did not test for anything unusual in the office, but she gave me antibiotics anyway and will send the sample to the lab for further testing. I guess if the antibiotics are not correct for the bacteria they will call me on Monday.

How long will it take for the antibiotics to work (if they are going to)?

Would they be able to detect blood no matter how small a sample?

I am freaking out. I think I am just tired of being in pain. It's been an insane time for the IBS and this is one more layer of crazy pain!

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

You can have an UTI that does not show bacteria on the office test but will show bacteria in the lab. The antibiotics should work after 24 hours.

I hope it is a UTI and that you feel better soon. Try to get 2 doses of antibiotics in... this is usually fine if they are 8 hours apart.

Kidney stones can present in all kinds of ways so it could be that too.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Are you sure you aren’t really constipated? I have IBS too although it manifests as constipation. When I get extremely constipated I have the urge to pee every ten minutes. If you’ve been having pain and aches for the last 2 weeks, maybe it’s been building up?

Whatever is going on, I hope you find some relief soon.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The antibiotics will kick in fast, although if I get a UTI, but the azo OTC tabs or the prescription phenozyprodine pills (they turn your urine orange) can give almost immediate relief.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gatorsmom View Post
    Are you sure you aren’t really constipated? I have IBS too although it manifests as constipation. When I get extremely constipated I have the urge to pee every ten minutes. If you’ve been having pain and aches for the last 2 weeks, maybe it’s been building up?

Whatever is going on, I hope you find some relief soon.
    This was my first thought also. I have a history of both IBS and UTIs. I would recommend D-mannose, cantharis (my fav for discomfort like this), lemongrass EOs diluted, rubbed directly over bladder, and also a urinary probiotic (I got one at Vitamin Shoppe).

I would try some magnesium and see if that helps if you are constipated.

hbridge is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks everyone.

It does seem to be getting better, thank goodness!

Unfortunately, it definitely is NOT constipation. The medication is working and I have a theory as to what might have created the situation. Public restrooms being closed is not good for our "plumbing"...