Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What hobbies or sports is he in?

When my 15 year old was 13, he was (and still is) is into fishing gear, fishing clothes, baseball gear. He also loves character tees of his favorite shows or anime or even blogs (for his bday I got him a 2set t-shirt). He got a new trumpet for his birthday (upgrade from his beginner trumpet). He also loves history, so we've gotten him books on different history topics before. Of course video games are always popular, all of my boys love google play gift cards, so they can get what they want later.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cheme View Post
    Would you mind sharing what restrictions you have? Dd would love to have a channel, but dh and I are hesitant. Thanks!
    In addition to following the YouTube terms of use (which has all the rules around copyrights, use of music, content, etc):
    • No identifying information anywhere, including in channel name, description, and the video itself (e.g. they aren't allowed to say their real names, where they live, etc).
    • No in-person video (right now, we're not allowing them to show their faces. Their channels are mostly art/games-driven so this works for now)
    • Their friends cannot use their real names in relation to their channels (I realize this is harder to monitor but I figured we should try. The girls came up with what they want to be called if their friends happen to refer to them in their own youtube videos.)
    • Comments TURNED OFF. We just aren't allowing comments at this time.
    • All content must be approved before upload. This includes ALL videos, descriptions, profile pictures.
    • Parents are subscribed, so we can monitor what they post and whether they have followed rules.
    • They are allowed to comment on other videos, but comments must be kind. I realize this is also difficult to monitor but our kids are generally good about this.
    • The YouTube channel must have an objective (yes, I made my kids write a paragraph about what they want out of this channel, whether it is to share a passion, to educate, to entertain, etc).
    • Content posted must be created with purpose and intent, with tight and thoughtful editing (no willy nilly posting of rambling crap just for the heck of it)
    • Proper spelling, grammar, punctuation must be used (and yes, I made DD1 fix her video when she misspelled a word)
    • Video length limited to 5 minutes (for now...to help with the above goals)
    • Avoid copying others' ideas. We talked about how we can be inspired by others' content but that the goal is to create your own unique content. If ideas are copied from elsewhere, credit must be given.
    • No YouTubing unless all schoolwork is completed and grades kept up
    • Parents reserve the right to disable the channel at any time and for any reason. (we used email addresses under our control to set up their channels).

cheme is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thank you twowhat, that is really helpful!

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Wondering if there’s any kind of science/building “toy” that’s more sophisticated for the teen boy...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kiwi Company has a “fire lab” in their store:

https://www.kiwico.com/us/store/dp/f...oject-kit/2164

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3