Default "Bob Ross" art supplies

DD(9) is very interested in art, and was recently introduced to Bob Ross. I think she'd be interested in trying out some of his techniques so I'm looking to give her a set of art supplies (paints, etc.) to allow her to paint in his style. But I am clueless about paint types (oil? acrylic?) Any ideas what supplies I should get to equip her to follow along with his painting?
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by truly scrumptious View Post
    DD(9) is very interested in art, and was recently introduced to Bob Ross. I think she'd be interested in trying out some of his techniques so I'm looking to give her a set of art supplies (paints, etc.) to allow her to paint in his style. But I am clueless about paint types (oil? acrylic?) Any ideas what supplies I should get to equip her to follow along with his painting?
    Bob Ross worked in oil paints; the company that owns the reruns/his name sells starter kits here:

https://www.bobross.com/landscape/bo...painting-kits/

If you look at the "master kit," it should give you a general idea of what might be used in any given episode/project:

https://www.bobross.com/bob-ross-spe...age-48-states/

But you may be able to assemble a good starter kit for less if you work with a local art supply store ... or even at a Michaels if you have one nearby.

He nearly always pre-treats his canvas with Titanium White, so you will need as much of that as you can get - look for a large container vs a small tube.

PS - my brother Ger was really interested in oil painting because of Bob Ross at around the same age. Unfortunately, for him, it seemed a bit of a "this will soon pass" phase. If you're not up for spending $180 on a kit, I would encourage your DD to pick a favorite episode or two and buy the supplies for those as her gift. If she continues to want to do the oil painting, replenish the supplies by episode or two. Oh, and don't forget to buy brush-cleaning supplies!
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 11-26-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS got super into Bob Ross about a year ago. We got him tons of stuff for his birthday and he did two paintings total. I did buy one of the Bob Ross kits, some extra brushes, an easel, a palette, and stuff to clean the brushes. I got most stuff at Blick Art Materials, https://www.dickblick.com, mostly online but we do have a local store also. I got some stuff at Michael's as well. You will need to get the right size canvas, which is 18 in x 24 in, though you can try smaller ones for practice. I did get the Bob Ross liquid white in a larger quantity which is used as a base IIRC. You need to prep the canvases before use also.

lizzywednesday is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    ...I did get the Bob Ross liquid white in a larger quantity which is used as a base IIRC. You need to prep the canvases before use also.
    Ugh, I called it "Titanium White" in my post, but this is the right name - liquid white. Thanks for giving the right name!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Thanks for the insight.
    Great idea to use the branded kits as a guide to figure out what to look for locally, and to pick a painting or two for her to focus on.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just found the master kit on sale with free shipping. I included some 2-packs of 18x24 canvas and it totaled just over $100. What a great gift idea for the whole family! https://www.jerrysartarama.com/bob-r...-painting-sets