Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Food delivery gifts to rural area?

I know there have been some threads about best food gifts to give. We are not planning on traveling to visit my family for Christmas. For kids gifts I am shipping stuff to them from Amazon or Target. And I think I'll do a gift certificate to Hello Fresh for my younger brother and his wife because I know they liked the free trial I gave them. But I'd like some food gifts for my parents, grandparents, and maybe my older brother. They live in a very rural area in northern PA and I think a lot of the ideas shared in the other threads would be seen as too fancy or extravagant. What are some good basics that I could have mailed directly to recipients? Bonus if there are good deals going on now for Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

Are you thinking dessert/treats, fruit, cheese trays, or more of a main course kind of thing?

Edit: I think it is always safe to go with something that is their personal favorite but 1 or 2 steps “nicer” than what they would typically buy themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

What about the Williams Sonoma snacks? I haven’t checked for Black Friday codes. But I’ve ordered their peppermint bark and peanut brittle every year to give away and they are DELICIOUS. We live in a pretty rural area and some of the people I give these to are (aunts and uncles) are not big travelers. Williams Sonoma has a lot to choose from.

Othwrwise, do they have a candy shop in their area? Or a restaurant you can order a give card from? My SIL and her husband live in rural Texas and they mentioned a restaurant there that they love. I called it and they were able to help me with a gift certificate.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Why not put together your own box of treats to send? If you have a Trader Joe’s near by you can get some great, inexpensive, festively packaged goodies.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Unfortunately no Trader Joe's here. And I figured shipping prices keep going up, it may be best just to ship directly to them from the retailer. I know my grandparents are trying to not go out due to Covid, and they are so rural that there aren't nearby restaurants for take out. They are the type that make everything from scratch, so I'm not sure what food they would enjoy but also not feel it is too extravagent. Maybe a fruit basket, as I know they are limiting their trips out to the stores. My one grandma likes tea, so maybe tea for her and some type of treat for my grandfather?

I think I will get an Escape Room crate subscription for my oldest brother's family and just make it a family gift or games for a few months. FYI, Cratejoy.com has some of their subscriptions 25% off until tomorrow. Or, maybe I will ship him something from Penzy's Spices as he likes to cook. Don't they usually do a sale right before Christmas?

Are there any foods you know they like and can't easily get? Goldbelly isn't all fancy food. You can get cakes, brownies, pizza, etc. on there, too. 20% off almost everything except for the fanciest brands (e.g., Momofuku and Russ & Daughters are both NYC vendors that aren't likely to be on your grandparents' wish list anyway). I ended up getting some chocolates for some relatives, Alaskan king crab for my family, and am eyeing some charcuterie from Portland-based Olympia Provisions (all at 20% off normal prices).

cuca_ is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I agree with the Goldbelly recommendation. We get NY bagels regularly through them, and have always had a great experience. Also, Penzey’s for spices and seasonings.

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Tea- go to Adagio

I agree about Goldbelly too. I bought my dad BBQ from his home town for his birthday this year from them.
    Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 11-28-2020 at 09:19 AM.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I keep forgetting about Penzey's (except when I grab an almost empty bottle of a favorite mix). Just checked and they don’t yet have sales on most things. However, if anyone can use the Love People 9-jar gift box, it’s now on sale for $39.95, usually $64.95. (The smaller Love People gift box, usually $39.95, is now $24.95.)

https://www.penzeys.com/shop/gift-bo...oxCategory=160

If anyone isn’t familiar with Penzey's, they offer good quality, wide selection and many interesting herb and spice mixes (including lots of salt-free mixes).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

ciw is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

Do you have a favorite local orchard? A lot of orchards and farms are now shipping or delivering fruit baskets, honey, or canned goods (jams, jellies, fruit butters, pickled veggies, etc.).

I also really like Stoltzfus Meats for gifts. They are based in Lancaster County: https://www.stoltzfusmeats.com/
    Their bacons and sausages are really, really good. I think the chicken sausages are as good as the pork sausages. The more interesting flavor combos are always a hit. Shipping isn't cheap - I think it runs around $10, but you would probably spend at least that much to put together your own basket and ship it.

Popcorn or snack tins are an easy pick. Lots of options made in Pennsylvania and they often make special items (like tins of chocolate covered pretzels) for the holidays. You can order directly from Utz (not sure about Snyder's), but you may find a better deal on Amazon or another online retailer.

Chocolate? Macy's had Frango's for 5.99 a lb yesterday. Looks like the price is back up today.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast