Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default S/o - for those who use ebags packing cubes

Which types and size do you find most useful? I’ve typically packed everything in ziplocks, but it may be time to up my game (not that I’m going anywhere these days...)

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

We use the mediums (not sure what the name is, but they are the standard ones they have had forever) for most things for packing. We have one large and I am not sure if we have ever used it. It would be useful for my husband if he were using a large suitcase, but he just throws his stuff in. 4 mediums or 3 mediums, a toiletry bag, and some shoes fit perfectly in my carry on sized suitcase. I use the smalls too, but more for random stuff like keeping 1 spare outfit for each kid in the car than for putting clothes in suitcases.

Edit: I have 1 pack of slims and have only used them a couple of times. I am sure they have their uses, but they don’t fit my packing style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I use mediums and slims most often.

KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

We have a set of small, medium and large. I think the medium works the best for most things though. Small is okay for underwear/socks if it's just a couple days, but it's too small for a week. Large is nice if you have a few pairs of pants or something. But, medium works well and I wish we each had a few mediums in different colors - one color for tops, one for bottoms, etc. But, we have our own color in the set combo and that's okay. We can put them all in a drawer and know which is ours easily.
    Kris

nfceagles is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I don’t love regular packing cubes. Irritates me to have to go through so many containers to get to what I want. But when we’re trying to fit a lot into small suitcases I love compression packing cubes. They have a second zipper that squeezes them flatter.

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

reg packing cubes irritate me. The only time I use them is if I'm going camping or possibly a weekend away where I pack everything I need for the day in 1 cube. Then I put whatever I'm wearing back into the same cube. I mostly use large - sometime med - but I'm a large person so I need extra space for my clothes.

I wish I'd realized when ordering that not all cube are compression cubes. Thats what I was expecting and I might use those more. For longer trips away I have travel size (and large) space saving bags. Those are far more useful to me.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I have the Bagail brand (bought from Amazon) and I use multiple sizes. I use the extra small one for socks and undies (and if you roll them Marie Kondo style you can fit a bunch in there), I use the small ones for t shirts and bras or dresses and bras (depending on how many dresses I need to take...if only two to three the small is fine), I use the medium for t shirts or dresses, and my swimwear usually ends up in that one, the large for pants and sweaters, and if I need it the extra large for sweaters, and a light or medium weight rain jacket or two. The only time I ever took all of the cubes (and this many clothes) was when I went to Europe last summer (2019) and was gone for 17 days. I “Marie Kondo” fold everything when I use packing cubes. For most trips I take the small, medium, and either the extra large or large for 5 days away from home. I usually only pack one or two laundry bags because I find they do take up space and if I am flying an airline with bag limits I just don’t bother bringing it. If we fly Southwest one of us ends up taking an extra suitcase and one suitcase usually ends up with all of the dirty clothes bags for ease of sorting when we get home.

I like this brand because they have different colors abs patterns as well so everyone in my family has a different design. This is the set we have (except our set doesn’t have the zippered bag)

We have had ours for over two years and have been super happy with them. I had used no other brand of packing cubes prior so I have nothing to compare them to.

Last edited by AnnieW625; 11-28-2020 at 11:47 AM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I don’t always think packing cubes are necessary. If your ziplock baggies are working for you, I’d stick with them. I’ve used them before and like them except for how slippery they are. They slide out of position easily in my suitcases. But I like that you can label them and then reuse them for trash, dirty diapers, wet toothbrushes, etc.

If our trip is to somewhere we are going to stay for a week or more, I’ll unpack and organize using dressers and drawers where we are staying. When the kids were little, I’d bring these along to keep their outfits organized: https://www.lillianvernon.com/goods/...z800480-c.html

When we went to France with a travel group last year, we went to 4 different hotels in 2 weeks. The kids had their own hotel rooms. In order to keep everyone organized (and I had them all wear the same color shirts so I could find them in the crowd), I needed to be organized. We traveled with 2 carryons- the Motherlode Jr backpack and the matching rolling carryon (which was a great idea since the airline lost some checked luggage belonging to others in our group). I could perfectly fit 4 of these cubes in each of their rolling carry-ons: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01...b_b_asin_title. I liked these because you can see through the mesh to what’s inside without opening them. Each day of that trip was planned by the tour group precisely and our family was divided into 3 rooms in each hotel we went to. The packing cubes were great for keeping us organized in small carry-on luggage. But I can’t see choosing to pack like that for most other vacations. It’s a lot of work and it’s just not necessary.
    Last edited by gatorsmom; 11-28-2020 at 11:59 AM.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have a variety of sizes and have used them so many ways over the years!

We don't ever use them for all one type of clothes like we do our drawers.

Depending on our trip, we may pack by person (everyone gets a large) or by day. For example, if we are going to Disney for 1 day, I'll pack the pajama pack (in a L) and a set of clothes for the whole family (in a L) so that we're only opening up one bag in the morning, or ideally, at night so everyone can grab their stuff in the morning.

If we're going to a place for a week and everyone has their own space, each will pack their own suitcase and we may not use cubes. If we are flying, spending a few days, kids may be packed separately in smaller cubes, but we definitely use the smaller ones for hats, sunglasses, swimsuits, electronics cords, nintendo switch, etc. WE LABEL ALL OUR BAGS WITH A CUTOUT CARDBOARD TAG with a rubber band slipped through/around the handle.

How we use them totally depends on the type of vehicle we use to get there (planes with carryons require the most organization, obviously.) Also, something that's just as useful to us are the dirty clothes, again depending on where we are going. We have one like this when we have access to a w/d https://www.amazon.com/KOCASO-Laundr...0B9HDY73YR5FEZ and one like this when we're bringing dirty clothes home. https://www.containerstore.com/s/blu...uctId=11013267

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We each have our own set of S, M, L in a different color, so I know at a glance whose clothes they are. We actually use the L and M the most. L for all our outfits and then M for pajamas, socks, undies, swimsuits. For a kid under 10 the M is big enough for outfits. We use the S size the least. I don't use the slims for clothes. I use them for electronics/chargers/cords and also for some of my random personal items like brush/comb/hair tools/electric shaver.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast