Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Just have your older DD do all the moving and set up, she can Google ideas.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm holding firm on 'NO Elf' personally. I've always told my kids that the dogs would eat him. Given the other stuff they eat and the way they go after smaller animals, they believe me. The idea of someone watching my kids creeps me out. Plus, we've never done the 'be nice or Santa wont bring you stuff' - what if its a lean year and we dont have $$ to buy what they really want?

If you want to give in b/c its a sucky year and it will make her happy, I like the suggestion to assign the job to older dd..
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Lord, I would hate to start it at that age. lol

We did the Elf for about six years and it was fine. I never did anything particularly interesting with him -- just moved him from place to place. I did have him bring a special ornament on the first day of his arrival.

That said, DS turns 11 later this week. We ended up having "The Talk" last weekend as we drove home from his basketball tournament. He had been sort of suspicious about Santa and the Elf for a couple of years anyway. While I'm a bit sad we don't need to play Santa, I won't miss the Elf one bit. lol
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

hbridge is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by doberbrat View Post
    The idea of someone watching my kids creeps me out.
    THAT!!!!! DC hate having Santa in the house, never mind some random "elf" spying on them. We also don't tie behavior to Santa and never had. However, when they ask about it, we just say the birds report and that Santa doesn't think we need and elf since the kids are not ones to misbehave ! Then we set out the bird feeders...

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by georgiegirl View Post
    We are a no elf family also. One year, DS1 wanted an elf, and he took a plush elf ornament that we had and started moving it around the house and telling his siblings that we had an elf. . That lasted about two weeks. I think he was 9 at the time.

If she really wants and elf, maybe do it (so long as you have the time.). Maybe make it clear that the elf is just visiting this year because of covid (his usually family isn’t covid safe, so he’s visiting hours this year.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    So... my 9yo has a plush elf (that doesn't look terribly like an elf on the shelf) that he calls his "elf on the shelf". It is sitting on "the shelf" right now and I think he REALLY wants to do the tradition. My kids are young and I really don't relish the idea of starting a new tradition that would probably last for YEARS, but like many of you, I'm wondering if I should just indulge--because of all the deprivations this year. Gah. Not really sure what to do. Maybe I can get my older DSs to get involved in moving the elf in tiny ways?

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We’ve avoided the shelf elf so far too. But this year sucks. If your dd2 wants one, I’d ask your dd1 to help with the gift ideas and the hiding and everything involved. Make sure you let her know that she’ll get something for her efforts.

As my kids get closer to moving out of the house, those activities seem less like a burden and more like something fun to enjoy.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hbridge View Post
    THAT!!!!! DC hate having Santa in the house, never mind some random "elf" spying on them. We also don't tie behavior to Santa and never had. However, when they ask about it, we just say the birds report and that Santa doesn't think we need and elf since the kids are not ones to misbehave ! Then we set out the bird feeders...
    Oh that's a fun idea! I'll have to talk to DH tonight and see what he thinks about indulging the elf request or doing something like this with a bird feeder.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by jgenie View Post
    We avoided it even though my kids were at the right age when it started. In normal years I would let the request fade away but this year I would bite the bullet and get it. Your older DD might have fun coming up with things to do with it and it would add some fun. I try really hard to say yes to as much as I can especially this year.
    This is a good idea! Let DD1 take over and then you don't have to bother with it and DD2 is happy.
    We are also a no-elf house.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We don't do any made up Christmas stuff and we still all love Christmas. I wonder if your daughter is pushing you to admit santa's not real?

If you DO decide to do it, I think your elf needs to be in quarantine for two weeks. We don't have one, but I've seen some cute pictures on FB of elves wearing masks and staying put in a clear plastic container.
    DD 6/06
    DS 4/09
    DS 5/12

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast