Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default At home genetic testing- any concerns?

Ds1 just said he would like something like 23 and Me because he just wants to know more of our lineage. Dh's side is pretty flushed out but my side isn't. I might be an oddball but I have never been interested nor comfortable with these kits. I just don't know if I want that data out there and available. Admittedly I haven't read the terms and conditions so maybe that would set me at ease. If you are comfortable with these tests, help talk me down. If you share my worry, feel free and reinforce that too.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Sister-in-law gave dh and I kits two Christmases ago and we never ran them. My discomfort superceded any curiosity i have.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

After reading the book about Henrietta Lacks a few years ago, I can't wrap my head around choosing to give cells of my body out into the unknown. It bothers me enough that I've had to provide cells (blood work, skin things removed and tested, etc) for good reasons. I don't like the idea that the company is profiting greatly from people's willingness to participate.
    Last year SIL got 23 and me for my ILs and DH and I both expressed concern. But ILs participated because they felt like they had to in order not to insult SIL. Frankly, the findings were mostly what we already knew, and the few things we didn't were so outlandish that is unlikely that were accurate.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

The use of DTC genetic test results to solve crimes is one of my reasons for discomfort - https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ations/599005/. While I'd likely be OK with helping to lock up some blood relative involved in a violent crime, who knows what the next use might be?
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by ncat View Post
    The use of DTC genetic test results to solve crimes is one of my reasons for discomfort - https://www.theatlantic.com/science/...ations/599005/. While I'd likely be OK with helping to lock up some blood relative involved in a violent crime, who knows what the next use might be?
    That is always in the back of my mind! I'm certainly glad they caught the Golden State killer but knowing that one of these random companies provided the data concerns me.

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I personally have no interest. I had some specific genetic tests run for a hereditary disease, but that info is HIPAA protected unless I choose to share it. My mother had one of the commercial tests done and she did find some interesting info - she has a decent percentage of Scottish heritage. My sister did some digging and found out one of my mother's great-grandparents was from Scotland which we never knew before. Interesting, but not enough for me to put my genetic info out there via a commercial company.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Even though I have occasionally thought it would be interesting to see the ethnicity breakdown that some of these home DNA services offer, that is definitely not worth the data privacy risks. Even worse would be the "know your health risks" data that some services offer. Besides data privacy, I would have concerns about accuracy, and interpretation getting way ahead of the data.

In other words, nope — not worth it even if it’s a gift.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It’s not for us. DC have friends who have done it and speak frequently about all the cool stuff they found out. I have to remind him every family is different whenever it comes up.
    Last edited by jgenie; 12-01-2020 at 10:42 AM.

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

All 4 of us have done 23andMe, plus my mom, dad, grandma, half sister, and half brother. I think it's great! My dad found out through it that his dad isn't really his bio dad so he's been on the search for his real dad ever since! He thinks he's now found 5 half brothers that he never knew he had! Some of the genetic things we found out have been interesting-- DH is 50% Ashkenazi jew unbeknownst to him, we all have the homozygous MTHFR mutation, DS1 is a hemophilia C carrier which explains his slow blood clotting and frequent nosebleeds, I found out that DS1 and I have the longevity gene which makes us more likely to live to 100, and we are genetically more likely to have celiac disease and inflammatory bowel disease which explains DS1's gluten sensitivity and his ulcerative colitis.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We’ve done it too and it was fascinating. Dh found out from 23 and Me that he had a relative from West Africa several generations back which lead to an interesting discussion with his great aunt admitting that their family were the first slave owners in Texas and that one of their ancestors was a slave. Dh’s dad didn’t even know that.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast