Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Athleta changed their masks

I decided to buy the 5 pack of Athleta pleated masks to try since MamaSeamstress on Etsy is currently on hiatus. I read a few recent reviews stating that they had changed the nose wire. I ordered the masks in the original colors hoping the change was only in the newest prints, but unfortunately it looks like I got the newly designed masks. The nose "wire" is actually a piece of plastic that doesn't conform to your nose at all. If you bend it it just pops back to almost flat and that causes the mask to ride up into your eyesight and also leaves a big gap around your nose (hello glasses fog)! I went back and read all the 1 star reviews and people started complaining about the change 3 months ago. They also said the inside lining is different and not as soft. So just a heads up to anyone who liked their original masks and was thinking of ordering more.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by essnce629 View Post
    I decided to buy the 5 pack of Athleta pleated masks to try since MamaSeamstress on Etsy is currently on hiatus. I read a few recent reviews stating that they had changed the nose wire. I ordered the masks in the original colors hoping the change was only in the newest prints, but unfortunately it looks like I got the newly designed masks. The nose "wire" is actually a piece of plastic that doesn't conform to your nose at all. If you bend it it just pops back to almost flat and that causes the mask to ride up into your eyesight and also leaves a big gap around your nose (hello glasses fog)! I went back and read all the 1 star reviews and people started complaining about the change 3 months ago. They also said the inside lining is different and not as soft. So just a heads up to anyone who liked their original masks and was thinking of ordering more.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    That sucks. I have been disappointed with the old style of Athleta masks too. While comfortable, the adjuster piece has fallen off of many of the Athleta ones, rendering them useless. Apparently I can order more from Amazon and get a needle (or some nonsense) and thread new ones through. Not interested.

Our new fav masks are Banana Republic. They were recommended by Wirecutter.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Oh that stinks. We LOVE our Athleta masks. I just ordered each kid another set and those should arrive this week. I may have to buy nose clips that can be added and cut a small slit and remove the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Oh that stinks. We LOVE our Athleta masks. I just ordered each kid another set and those should arrive this week. I may have to buy nose clips that can be added and cut a small slit and remove the plastic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This is a good idea. I made masks early on. I had a bag of twist ties (like from a bread bag) that I used for computer cords, I slipped those into my homemade masks and they worked so well I ended up slipping them into some that I bought as well. Definitely helps the fit.

khm is offline Ruby level (4000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Kindra178 View Post
    That sucks. I have been disappointed with the old style of Athleta masks too. While comfortable, the adjuster piece has fallen off of many of the Athleta ones, rendering them useless. Apparently I can order more from Amazon and get a needle (or some nonsense) and thread new ones through. Not interested.

Our new fav masks are Banana Republic. They were recommended by Wirecutter.
    I'd just tie them at the right spot or get some of those tiny clear ponytail holders, use 'em for backup for whatever.

I have a pile of my not-favorites in all the cars as "just in case" masks. Ha.

newnana is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I've been making masks all along. Hands down the best thing I've found for nose wires is that plastic thing at the top of the bag of coffee beans/grounds to close the bag. It's like 2 of those bread twist tie things about 1/4" apart dipped in plastic. Super awesome side effect of that plastic is they aren't rusting in the wash. Pretty sure I got the idea here on the BBB, so thank you. You can buy them on amazon, but we go through enough coffee that I just take them off the bags when we're done. There for a little bit all I could get was smaller bags of the coffee we liked, which worked out great because that was about 5x as many nose wires to our normal 1 giant bag of beans.

I tried ordering the old navy ones and hate them. I do not understand the appeal. No nose wire, not enough pleats to actually conform to your face. I cut a few of those to add in the coffee bag closure thing as a nose wire and added a pleat to try to salvage them. Pain in the butt. Much easier to just make them than modify them for me.

HTH

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post

I tried ordering the old navy ones and hate them. I do not understand the appeal. No nose wire, not enough pleats to actually conform to your face. I cut a few of those to add in the coffee bag closure thing as a nose wire and added a pleat to try to salvage them. Pain in the butt. Much easier to just make them than modify them for me.

HTH
    I love my Old Navy masks! The lack of nose wires has never bothered me. I don't wear glasses, but I also think it's the shape of my nose. It's actually rather flat at the top (thanks, ancestors!), so maybe that makes a difference?

That's too bad about the Athleta masks. I met up with some friends over the weekend. One has a daughter in dance who needs to wear a mask and she said they work great. I was considering getting some for DS in case the powers that be decide athletes need to wear them while actively playing basketball. I've seen a lot of college coaches wearing this, and I'm intrigued. https://store.helmetfitting.com/product/active-mask/
    DS: Raising heck since 12/09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Athleta, that stinks!! I saw the reviews about the "wire" just being a piece of plastic. How is that even a good idea??? If it's not adjustable/conformable to the nose, then it would be better to leave it out completely!

Quote Originally Posted by newnana View Post
    I've been making masks all along. Hands down the best thing I've found for nose wires is that plastic thing at the top of the bag of coffee beans/grounds to close the bag. It's like 2 of those bread twist tie things about 1/4" apart dipped in plastic. Super awesome side effect of that plastic is they aren't rusting in the wash. Pretty sure I got the idea here on the BBB, so thank you. You can buy them on amazon, but we go through enough coffee that I just take them off the bags when we're done. There for a little bit all I could get was smaller bags of the coffee we liked, which worked out great because that was about 5x as many nose wires to our normal 1 giant bag of beans.

HTH
    This is me too! I've been making all our masks and coffee bag ties for the win...the longer the better (so I actually prefer the larger coffee bags), as glasses wearers need a SUPER customized fit at the top of the nose AND cheeks. Especially in colder weather when the smallest amount of escaping warm air will fog up the glasses. I use pliers to bend in the ends so they are smooth and rounded and that makes them really easy to slide in/out of the wire channel in my masks so they can be removed for washing.

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had a similar experience with Athleta. I bought both kinds earlly on, and while the wire wasn't great, it was ok. I ordered more of the athletic ones, and they seem to be upside down or something - don't fit AT ALL unless you wear them upside down, and then there is obviously no nose wire. I gave in and ordred a second set of the pleated ones, and that too was not as good - the nose wire is useless and frustrating.
    I have such a large array of masks now, I can't buy more. We can always find one that works, and the stretchy cotton double layered ones I get for 3/$10 at TJmaxx are probably my favorite. But no nose wire, so I can't wear glasses with them. But I think we can get through to spring on what we have...
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

I got the Athleta pleated masks over the summer, and I'm pretty sure the wires in my masks are also plastic. Those were one of the first masks we got, so didn't realize how inferior the nose wires were until we got masks from elsewhere which had metal wires that would actually conform to the nose.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast