bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Best way to turn old photos into photo books?

I have decided to work hard on organizing my photos from years past. I have a few scrapbooks that I have made over the years and I feel like while they are no longer my favorite style, they do a good job of documenting my life in a way that is easy to read and that will last.

Now, those old sticky albums from the past I'm not nearly so confident about! Not only are they on poor materials, but they are not labeled either!

I'd like to try and make photo books out of them. What is the best way to do this? Is it better to try and scan the old photos? Or try to take photos of the old pictures? Of course, the poor quality of photos doesn't help things!

I'm thinking both photos from the childhoods of DH and I, but also photos from earlier in our marriage! We have a smattering from our wedding and we've done a really poor job of putting books together.

It is a massive project but thanks to COVID, I do have more time at home than usual.

Looking to be pointed in the right direction for supplies and process.

TIA!

Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I am Tackling this project after a recent scare with fires in the Bay Area. I am using an app called Photomyne to scan in old photos, which I hope to print out into photo books. You can even scan an entire page and Photomyne will crop it into different files, but the quality is not as good so I scan one at a time. I’ve been pretty happy with it so far.
    Shutterfly albums are decent, but I prefer the quality and functionality of mixbook, so for important albums I use that.
    "Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, "What? You, too? I thought I was the only one." C.S. Lewis

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Globetrotter View Post
    I am Tackling this project after a recent scare with fires in the Bay Area. I am using an app called Photomyne to scan in old photos, which I hope to print out into photo books. You can even scan an entire page and Photomyne will crop it into different files, but the quality is not as good so I scan one at a time. I’ve been pretty happy with it so far.
    Shutterfly albums are decent, but I prefer the quality and functionality of mixbook, so for important albums I use that.
    Thank you for your suggestions! I'll check out Photomyne.

I've used Shutterfly before. I might make cheapy books for our childhood photos. I just can't imagine spending much for such tiny unimpressive photos. But I've heard great things about Mixbook for albums. Might have to try them!