Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default How to shoe shop in a pandemic?

My two middle DSs need shoes. Actually we ALL need new shoes! I'm thinking Christmas is a good time to handle that. HOW do you buy shoes without trying them on? We normally just go to the Nike Outlet that is about 2 miles from our home. I don't like the idea of trying on a bunch of shoes. Is that neurotic? Also, that doesn't make for a good present, right? But how else can I make sure that they fit?

We can normally find shoes for the whole family under $40 a pair from Nike. I hope not to spend any more than that if possible!

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I order a size up when I find them on sale. I generally buy with a big enough discount that if we don’t use them I’m ok donating them. If you’re planning to go to the outlet, I would just buy everyone a size up and they can grow into them.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Order multiple sizes from Zappos or Amazon with free shipping and returns. You will pay more but there are sometimes deals or sales. You can also order online at DSW for store pick up. You could try on in car then return what doesn’t fit (would have to go into store for return though). DSW has Nike and recently had buy one get one 50% off which for most at $50/each would make them $37.50/pair.

We ordered multiple pairs from Zappos.

In your situation, I’d just go to the Nike outlet and try on the shoes. Positivity isn’t crazy high. Put masks on everyone and do it quickly. Or you go to the Nike outlet and buy a bunch, hats the kids try them on at home, then return them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I just buy a size up of what they outgrew and get it from Costco. That works for kids. Teens? Zappos or Nordstrom.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

When things opened up more this past spring/summer, our kids all needed shoes. We made a quick trip and bought in person. It was nice to have everyone sized appropriately and purchase shoes they wanted. We've ended up donating many gently worn shoes I've ordered online that weren't well-loved for one reason or another. I would certainly not dawdle in the stores then or now.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

We just ordered the exact shoes DS already liked in the next size. His fashion sense will have to wait this time. !!

pharmjenn is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Early on, I purchased my DS12 some skechers from Costco. He later requested Vans and we ordered from Zappos, and more recently from Kohls. I have no idea how the fit is, but he is happy with them and say the don't hurt anywhere. I think if he were in school, or sports where there was more activity, we probably would have to go somewhere to try them on.
    mom to Billy 12/07

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Thanks guys! I'm less worried about fashion. I do want them to fit well. DS2 particularly has finicky feet and has grown a ton! I've had kids grow double sizes on me (boys in middle school!) and that's where DS2 is right now. Maybe I take DS2 with me to the store and just buy up for the little kids and in our sizes for DS1, DH and I? He'll probably get a kick out of that! My two littler ones are so light and young they probably are fine in whatever I buy.

I know Nike has worked well for us all and it is close and cheap. I'm leaning hard on doing that. And it is probably a cheap shot but the shoes are totally going to be wrapped up in boxes under the tree.

I tend to look for the style we have from the past but as others mention in the next size up. Some of the online stores have sizing charts you can print out and measure your foot against. We did our most recent sneaker 'refresh' at Nordstrom Rack. We've also done 6pm, the rack equivalent of zappos. We usually buy enough from either to get free shipping and while neither has free returns but I figured the $8 + discount still beats trying to get them someplace (and we don't have any malls around, so it's pretty hard to try kids shoes on in person even in a normal year)
    ~ Dawn
    Our little monkey (4/2011) & his early holiday present 12/12

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast