Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm less worried about fashion. I do want them to fit well. DS2 particularly has finicky feet and has grown a ton! I've had kids grow double sizes on me (boys in middle school!) and that's where DS2 is right now. Maybe I take DS2 with me to the store and just buy up for the little kids and in our sizes for DS1, DH and I? He'll probably get a kick out of that! My two littler ones are so light and young they probably are fine in whatever I buy.

I know Nike has worked well for us all and it is close and cheap. I'm leaning hard on doing that. And it is probably a cheap shot but the shoes are totally going to be wrapped up in boxes under the tree.
    I would do that. Take the one who really needs to try them on, and get what you think will work for everyone else. When DS needed new shoes I took him for a quick trip to Nordstrom Rack because he is really picky and is totally different sizes in different brands (he like Nike too, but wears a half to a full size larger in those than in some other shoes). We didn't wander through the mall or explore other parts of the store like we usually would, we just went in and found shoes that worked, paid, and left. For DD I can just buy the next size in a brand we're familiar with when hers get tight.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

petesgirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bisous View Post
    Thanks guys! I'm less worried about fashion. I do want them to fit well. DS2 particularly has finicky feet and has grown a ton! I've had kids grow double sizes on me (boys in middle school!) and that's where DS2 is right now. Maybe I take DS2 with me to the store and just buy up for the little kids and in our sizes for DS1, DH and I? He'll probably get a kick out of that! My two littler ones are so light and young they probably are fine in whatever I buy.

I know Nike has worked well for us all and it is close and cheap. I'm leaning hard on doing that. And it is probably a cheap shot but the shoes are totally going to be wrapped up in boxes under the tree.
    We always got a piece of clothing for Christmas-- a new outift, coat, undies or socks, shoes. That part will be fine!!
    I went shoe shopping back in July and there was hardly anyone else in the store besides me, they had stickers marking which way to travel up and down the aisles and an employee took all shoes I tried on and sanitized them somehow before returning them to the shelf. I think you should just go and do it. Calculated risk.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

WatchingThemGrow is online now Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We have done DSW a couple times for the middle school foot that grows like crazy. It has gone from a size 9 on March 14 to a 10.5 before Thanksgiving. Plenty of space to social distance in giant stores like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would either go to the outlets (you can do it safely), pick a quiet time, and maybe don't take the little ones. Also DSW has great prices on sneakers, but the outlet will be your best bet. You can always return them later, just buy the next size up.

KpbS is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Look at the Google analytics and find out when the Nike store (or big box store like Academy) is the least busy. Take everyone and try on the shoes. Come home and wrap them. Not the most surprising of gifts, but they will fit and kids will be happy!
    K

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by KpbS View Post
    Look at the Google analytics and find out when the Nike store (or big box store like Academy) is the least busy. Take everyone and try on the shoes. Come home and wrap them. Not the most surprising of gifts, but they will fit and kids will be happy!
    I've been using the google analytics for errands lately and it's really handy. I had to go to Whole Foods and get my turkey. Pulled up the data and the bar graph was off the charts with the phrase "as busy as it gets" captioning it. (It was no where near as bad as pre-Covid busy but definitely crowded.)

Most stores in my are being really good about limiting numbers inside and social distancing so I’ve been comfortable doing some in person shopping. I went thanksgiving week to the outlets for new running shoes. The Nike store had a line waiting to get in because they were limiting numbers inside. I didn’t go in but the Newbalance store where I shopped felt very comfortable. I bring my own hand sanitizer alcohol spray and sanitize after every pair. I think you’ll be fine unless you’re in an area with no masks and no social distancing enforcement.

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've ordered sneakers from Dicks and done curbside pick up (if in stock at my local store) or free shipping. I've also ordered from DSW (free curbside returns) and Amazon. I order a few styles and sizes and send back what doesn't work.

I have also been inside DSW a month or so ago and they had very good protocols in place and at the time our infection rate was at its lowest point. That's no longer the case and so I wouldn't be keen to go inside there currently.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2