Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default My favorite resident at work just died. I'm so sad.

I'm not sure if you guys know that I'm an Activity Assistant at an assisted living facility. My favorite resident, Bob died today.
    I can't go see his widow because I'm at home with Covid.

I spoke to his widow yesterday on the phone after Hospice was called in and we were both sobbing. She knows that Bob and I
    had a special connection.

I'd like to send her something. Flowers? A gift basket? I don't know what to do.

I remember when my husband died and I was inundated with flowers and plants. It seemed like such a waste of money to me.

Can you please help me? My brain isn't fully functioning at this moment.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’m so sorry for your loss. Could you send a nice card now and later arrange to take her out for a meal?

I’m sorry to hear you have Covid. P&PTs headed your way for a quick recovery.

I’m sorry for your loss. I feel similarly about flowers and plants. Was there anything that someone sent that helped you when your DH passed? My first thought is a card and a gift card to a restaurant, preferably somewhere that would deliver. That leaves when to use it open but I imagine there are times when putting food on the table is tough.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

When you are able to stop by, I would bring her some fresh baked cookies and visit safely (with you having had Covid it makes it a little less scary), obviously still wear a mask. It will mean a lot for her to see you. I lost a resident at my nursing home last week, I had to hold the phone so her family could say goodbye to her via Facetime as they live too far away, it was heartbreaking and she went fast. Hugs to you! It's been such a terrible time, and I feel so bad for the families.

ArizonaGirl is online now Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I would do a gift basket with something shelf stable. That way she doesn't need to eat right away, but perhaps can snack.

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Lindsey

Married to DH June 2005 gave birth to Shawn December 2008 and Lilian August 2012

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

How did you connect? Was he an animal lover, veteran, something like that? Could you donate to a charity he would support in his name?

For sure, I would write on your calendar to contact the widow every month for all of next year. Lots of time, there is support at first and then it falls off.

Quote Originally Posted by ArizonaGirl View Post
    I would do a gift basket with something shelf stable. That way she doesn't need to eat right away, but perhaps can snack.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

I found a Sympathy food tower from Wolferman's. I would like to do something like this.

https://www.wolfermans.com/w/gourmet...s/towers/51104
    Corie

-fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Kestrel View Post

For sure, I would write on your calendar to contact the widow every month for all of next year. Lots of time, there is support at first and then it falls off.

I see her everyday.
    Corie

-fortune cookie

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Hugs. I'm sorry and I hope you feel better soon
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

Default My favorite resident at work just died. I'm so sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    I found a Sympathy food tower from Wolferman's. I would like to do something like this.

https://www.wolfermans.com/w/gourmet...s/towers/51104
    Wolferman’s has been my go-to to send lately. Their English muffins are the best!

When my dad passed, my mom found breakfast to be the hardest meal as every morning it would hit her again. Having choices all ready to just be popped in the toaster made a huge difference for her the first month.

Hope you’re feeling better soon too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast