jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Can Trump issue pre-emptive pardons?

Would they hold up in court?
    Last edited by jgenie; 12-02-2020 at 03:21 AM.

And the other big question is whether he can pardon himself. Let’s just hope NY state has enough dirt on all of them so that it’s a moot point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    DD (3/06)
    DS1 (7/09)
    DS2 (8/13)

I think we will most likely end up finding out via Supreme Court. I am pretty positive he's going to try it because it's pretty much his only chance. If he was smart he would be looking to leave the country somewhere without extradition but I don't think he will because then he'd have to let go of his Trump tv and 2024 fantasies. (As if he'll still be alive and in any condition to run for president in 2024.)

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Most of what I have read says that he can issue blanket pardons for all federal crimes up to the date of the pardon (regardless of if they have been discovered/charged/convicted), although it has never been tested in court (Ford pardoned Nixon in this way).

It is pretty unanimous that he cannot issue a pardon for future crimes.

Most people think he cannot pardon himself and that a more likely scenario would be him stepping down or invoking the 25th amendment shortly before leaving office to have Pence pardon him. That would have a more solid legal footing.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I've heard at least two "experts" on podcasts/the like express that it is possible. Wasn't Nixon's pardon somewhat preemptive in the sense that he wasn't officially charged?