Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need gift ideas for my mother

I'm stumped for gift ideas for my mother. My father died 10 months before Covid hit, and my mother had been his caretaker for about 4 years while he was ailing so it has been a rough transition from overwhelmed caregiver to widow to all alone.

I've tried to give her gifts that are sentimental and that help her feel connected (Storyworth, Aura frame, etc.) Although mostly retired now, she owned a gift-giving/gift basket business so she is familiar with/has all the food, "spa," and trinket-type gifts. She liked to cook, but doesn't much anymore since it is just her. I feel like I have bought her unique earrings off Etsy for years...I'm stumped.

What gifts are good for the stuck-at-home, elderly, extroverts who live alone and are sentimental?
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010

Restaurant gift cards/meal delivery
    Kindle or books (maybe leads on a virtual book club?)
    Stuff from the kids -- photos, paintings, crafts, etc.
    "Dates" for one or more of the grandkids to play some sort of virtual game with her (could be video games, or could be a board game you each have one of)
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This may sound odd, but one thing a stuck at home elderly extrovert really needs is a good phone! "Good" meaning not only reliable but comfortable to use for those looong phone calls. I’m guessing she uses a landline even if she also has a cell phone. I’ve been shocked at how many of my friends and neighbors have suddenly turned into teenagers, talking for hours. And so many have put up with the same landline phone for years even if it’s getting crackly or harder to hear. Large buttons or a decent-sized CallerID screen are nice even for people with no serious vision problems. (For those who do have some vision problems, some phones offer "talking CallerID" — that would drive me nuts, but a friend with macular degeneration finds it very useful.)

A new phone isn’t in the same category as unique earrings, but this year, it may get more use by an elderly extrovert.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Mask chain
    Apple Watch

We are in an area where covid numbers are super low, so that’s why I’m suggesting this. So it could be for now or when numbers improve if you’re in an area that has high numbers.

There’s a local chef here who offers packages to do meal prep for you, or work with you to help you prepare your meals. Most popular package is for this woman to come into your house and prep a couple weeks of meals for you. Would she like something like that? Since she likes to cook, it could give her someone to cook with and give her someone to talk to for a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’m sorry your mom is going through this. She sounds like she was very active until your dad passed away. Maybe she would find comfort in doing something like this: https://smile.amazon.com/Oral-Histor...s+story&sr=8-4. It would keep her busy too. My ILs just did this recently and they really enjoyed it.

Also, maybe a book about researching geneology? It can be as time consuming as she’d like and I’ve found it to be so interesting contacting distant relatives, reconnecting and sharing family stories. I don’t have a good book suggestion about that. Maybe someone here can recommend one.

Also, in the same vein, maybe she would enjoy 23 and Me? I know it’s not very popular here but my family has really enjoyed learning about who we are related to.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

mmsmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

My mom is in a similar boat. For her birthday I got her a puzzle subscription from Buffalo Games. She recently bought herself an air fryer but I would have gifted it if she didn’t. We got her a iPad mini several years ago for FaceTiming grandkids. She does use and enjoy the Kindle. We have also given an Echo dot with smart plug. She likes using it for music and turning lamps on/off.

klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Facebook Portal or a largish tablet to aid with video chats with you & other friends?
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

How about flowers or a flower subscription?

Costco has beautiful delivered roses, with different color options, 50 stems for $40 (occasionally on sale). It also creates a happy activity, finding vases for so many stems. I really like this option...
    https://www.costco.com/50-stem-shade...100665778.html

Some flower subscription ideas
    https://www.thespruce.com/best-flowe...ptions-4842958

wendibird22 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by urquie View Post
    How about flowers or a flower subscription?

Costco has beautiful delivered roses, with different color options, 50 stems for $40 (occasionally on sale). It also creates a happy activity, finding vases for so many stems. I really like this option...
    https://www.costco.com/50-stem-shade...100665778.html

Some flower subscription ideas
    https://www.thespruce.com/best-flowe...ptions-4842958
    I highly highly recommend Bouqs for flower delivery and subscriptions. Gorgeous flowers for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast