Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default family volunteer activities domestic or abroad

We are hoping to do an intensive volunteer experience next summer. I'd really like not to do a pay to volunteer program, and I'd like for all of us teens + parents to participate. Ideally I'd like to go take care of koala bears in Australia, but I think most of those programs are pay to volunteer and Australia might not be open to us anyway. It seems like many programs (like Habitat for Humanity) require the kids to be 18. Anyone have suggestions?

Volunteer to help with housing or anything else on an Indian Reservation in the US. I know there are activities they let high school students do on the Navajo Res in Arizona. The need is extreme!!!
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I’m on a board that fundraisers for an orphanage in Lima, Peru. The orphanage was started by a priest in our diocese 25 years ago. They invite people to come help and work there and I don’t think there is an age requirement. This orphanage welcomes children who are homeless, children who have been trafficked, and children who in families who cannot take care of them for personal or financial reasons (the children can go home and visit on the weekends). It’s truly a place of joy, believe it or not. When COVID19 is no longer a concern, my family plans to go there to work. If you’d like to get in touch with them for more information, PM me.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Friends have taken their family on mission trips with our church. If you’re part of a faith community, maybe check with the missions team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reader is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by StantonHyde View Post
    Volunteer to help with housing or anything else on an Indian Reservation in the US. I know there are activities they let high school students do on the Navajo Res in Arizona. The need is extreme!!!
    Do you happen to have contacts or know where to start with this? This sounds like a great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Reader View Post
    Do you happen to have contacts or know where to start with this? This sounds like a great idea.
    I googled volunteering on the Navajo Reservation. I found youth groups from churches that you could volunteer to be part of. You could also call the various chapter houses on the Res. Navajo Mountain is a chapter house, for example.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Maybe the Appalachia Service Project? They perform highly needed repairs and construction for the people of Appalachia. Our church sends both adult groups and youth groups of volunteers each year.
    Mom to Two Wild and Crazy Boys and One Sweet Baby Girl