Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

These are all great suggestions - and I am right there with you - needing to figure out how to manage my stress better.

One thing to look into, in case you're considering therapy - I know that some insurance companies are offering telehealth therapy sessions for NO COPAY during the COVID crisis. As a result I can now afford weekly sessions with a therapist which has been a life-saver. Worth checking with your insurance.
    Mom to Mr. Sunshine 9/08
    and Miss Happiness 3/11

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    I am suddenly a high blood pressure -- hypertension stage 2. It is 100% due to stress IMO. I eat no salt, I am overweight but have lost 10 lbs and have been exercising. Work is a huge amount of stress. Help me be a better manager of stress. I am literally clenched almost all the time. What are you tips?
    Hillary, this is my anxiety 100%. I find myself physically tense to the point that I cannot actually make my body loosen up and it has led to every health problem under the sun including cardiac and blood pressure issues. There are a million things that could help/should help and I have probably tried most of them. Hard exercise like 4 miles on the treadmill every flipping day really works for me but it is hard to maintain. I’m on Zoloft now it has worked better than anything else but I am starting to feel the tension come back again. So I need to do something else. Also I have minimalized my home which has helped for sure.

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

The shower. I tell the boys I am getting in the shower, and nothing short of the house on fire should make them disturb me. I tell DH he is in charge, and then tell kids DH is in charge. Then blast the music and sing! (Broadway here!) Everyone in the house knows that this is my time, and they need to wait. I shower in the evening after dinner.
    I'm a mom 23.5 hours a day. For half an hour, they can deal or wait!

Pilotbaby is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Can you find a good therapist to talk to? I have clients coming in much more frequently recently for stress and anxiety. A therapist can not only help you learn some new strategies but also just help you untangle all of the things you stress about and give you a safe space to share.

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by corrie23 View Post
    Love this book https://www.amazon.com/Burnout-Secre...7045508&sr=8-2 Brene Brown recently discussed the book on her podcast https://brenebrown.com/podcast/brene...-stress-cycle/
    I loved this book on burnout. Lots of great ways to change perspective and address the source of stress rather than just "more self care".

I also recommend a good executive coach. If you broke you leg you'd go to the doctor. If you kept missing free throws, you'd work with your coach.

So stop and look and see if you feel the stress is like a broken leg (you can't function) or missed free throws ( can to do the bare minimum, but really need to function better)

So if you can't function-- see a psychiatrist (MD) in addition to your PCP. They can prescribe meds if you need that type of support right now. If you want better function you need a coach- here a therapist or a life coach have different training but both would give you safe place to process and give you tools to recover.

I really like the Brooke Castillo "The Life Coach School" Podcast.

Edited to add:
    Generally my first rec would be a therapist. They have very extensive training and certification.
    Since it sounds like work is the place you notice at the source of your stress, an exec coach might have more specific strategies for you. Just know the life coach industry is not regulated like therapists. So YMMV if you go the life/exc coach route.
    Last edited by wallawala; 12-05-2020 at 03:25 PM.

hellokitty is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I have similar issues and even when I manage my lifestyle effectively I still have hypertension and I'm on meds for it, and family history. Make sure you are taking magnesium, as magnesium deficiency can cause hypertension. My healthcare provider wants me to try the AIP diet, but I have been so busy and stressed out from work, school, and parenting that it has been hard for me to buckle down and come up with a good menu plan. For me, even with lifestyle management, it is very much tied to stress. I had a stretch of 5 months in between jobs. My BP was NORMAL during that time. As soon as I started working again, my BP shot back up... the thing is I love working, but it appears to be hazardous to my health.
    Mom to 3 LEGO Maniacs

dogmom is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don’t know your age, but there is a very good chance it’s not entirely stress and is essential hypertension. There is a myth that is very persistent that women suffer from high blood pressure less then men. Although men traditionally developed it earlier, once women hit menopause they have higher rates of hypertension than men. Also, their blood pressure creeps up in the peri menopausal phase. I would also argue that part of the reason men traditionally have high blood pressure younger is partially due to be diagnosed with it. Some 40 year old male comes in with high blood pressure their doctor will be, “OMG, while we don’t want you to die of a heart attack! Let’s get you on some meds ASAP.” A woman comes at the same age with the same blood pressure and the doctor goes “Well, how is your work life balance? Are you stressed? You could probably lose 10-20 lbs. Have you tried yoga?” So one walks away with actually medical treatment and follow up and the other with a vague feeling they aren’t doing their life right.

I had mild hypertension in my 40’s, no significant family history of it. Mostly elevated diastolic (lower number) in the 90’s. Kept beating myself up about not doing enough to eat right, exercise, blah, blah, blah. My (female) doctor sat me down and was “you are a nurse, you know this isn’t right. Take the meds, work on the other stuff, you can always stop the meds if it improves.” I was on a baby dose of an ACE inhibitor for 5 years. At one point I lost 30 lbs, ran a marathon, changed my diet, and still was on the med. Since menopause is had to add a second med for a while. The reality is it will live longer and have more secondary issues due to high blood pressure than men. Recent studies have shown a strong connection between elevated blood pressure, even mildly elevated diastolic BP and dementia.

So I’m think it’s always good to reduce stress, but life is stressful. Depending on what your BP is and how consistent those readings are do not ignore the seriousness of the issue and how easy it is to treat. I have zero, and I’m mean zero, side effects of any of my medications except for this illusion that I am healthier off them.

According to a book I just read, mouth breathing can contribute to high blood pressure. Not saying that you are a mouth breather, but just be aware that breathing through your nose is super good for you.

https://www.amazon.com/Breath-New-Sc...7201513&sr=8-1

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Related to the breathing tip above, something that helps me is to relax my face. When you intentionally relax there you really feel it (at least I do!).

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I agree with dogmom. I assume you've had a full physical recently? This is a medical issue and there is nothing wrong with taking medication for it. I have had mild high blood pressure on and off for years, and started taking a calcium-channel blocker for my Raynaud's syndrome about 7 years ago. Of course it's also a blood pressure medication so it's helped keep my blood pressure under control since then as well. I assume because I'm obese no one offered me a blood pressure medication before that. They just thought it was all caused due to my weight. Turns out, I just got genetic testing and have a genetic kidney condition that also causes high blood pressure, which is kind of a double whammy. I have a follow-up on Monday with my nephrologist, though I think he will keep me on the same medication since my kidney symptoms are mild.
    Last edited by JElaineB; 12-06-2020 at 11:25 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast