Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default how to reduce stress

I am suddenly a high blood pressure -- hypertension stage 2. It is 100% due to stress IMO. I eat no salt, I am overweight but have lost 10 lbs and have been exercising. Work is a huge amount of stress. Help me be a better manager of stress. I am literally clenched almost all the time. What are you tips?
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default how to reduce stress

Can you get to the source of your work stress and fix that in anyway?
    Add in a few quick walks. Add a fun, not serious, podcast to your walk or some dance-y music. Binge some total fluff (holiday movies on Netflix are good for that now).
    Last edited by SnuggleBuggles; 12-03-2020 at 05:12 PM.

bisous is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry you are stressed. I feel you deeply. I think this is the second biggest health question for this age, after acute COVID. (And lots of the stress we're feeling is related to COVID! Though perhaps yours is not!)

A couple of things have been working for me. Someone here said exercise HARD and that helps me a lot. Same with meditation apps. Avoiding stressful situations (politics, family drama over COVID) though that is harder to do if work is the stress point. Curating what I listen to at work (white noise, movie soundtracks). I try to go to bed early and I get up at 5:00 and that gives me some blessed time alone.

I've had to avoid certain topics that are too sad/stressful (WWII is fascinating to me but I can't handle the horrors right now).

I feel like what I've learned about operating with a lot of stress is that I have to be so careful with my self-care. When I'm not stressed I can stay up, I can sleep in, I can allow myself to listen to Aunt so-and-so etc. But when I'm stressed the little things act like a belt to hold me together.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Yoga and daily walking outside. Even the quick 15-30 minute Yoga with Adrienne is such a huge help. But every day since April (weather permitting), I walk about a mile during my lunch break. It is an amazing "reset" in the middle of the work day. On really frustrating days, I listen to good music on my walks, other days I just listen to the sounds of the neighborhood. Feeling the sun on my body and breathing fresh air always feels good.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Myira is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Already nice suggestions above. I just wanted to ask is there a hobby or interest of yours that you can spend some time on? Something that you can loose yourself in can really help you get to a happy place for a little bit. Stress is so sneaky, for myself I’ve noticed it tends to weigh on me even when I’m not actively thinking about the stressor.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains
    DD 10/2008
    DS 09/2011

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I go for long walks with the dogs and listen to audiobooks. And by long walks, I mean 1.5+hr. I just got home after a 4.5mi walk and I'm thinking of going back out I'm so angry with DH. The stress is constant.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

erosenst is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sorry to hear this. IIRC, you are in (senior?) management. When it's happened to me I've tried to literally block 5-10 minutes to figure out exactly what has changed from 'normal and manageable stress' to 'this is too much'. One time it was three REALLY silly things - but I had been trying to get to them for weeks, hadn't, and didn't see when that might happen. I carved 3 hours out one day to do them (and canceled an overnight trip I really didn't need to make so gained the travel time back). It was unbelievable the change that made - I try to remember that. Last year about this time I was asked to take on a bunch of extra stuff - fine, no one else to really do it, nothing I hated doing/owning. But about a week later I was a mess - made a bunch of silly mistakes, snapped at someone at work, etc. Made 5 minutes to think about it - and realized I was basically worried I was dropping the wrong balls. Made time to tell my manager that, while I was fine with the added stuff, he needed to let me know if I was dropping the wrong balls. "All I am doing right now is walking on dropped balls - but deal." Somehow that made all the difference to me - partially just owning and vocalizing what was stressing me. Once again it was like a light switch flipping - I was still somewhat frazzled, but still within 'relatively normal' bounds.

Hope you find what works for you!

petesgirl is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Have you ever heard of tapping? My neighbor swears by it for stress and anxiety reduction. I just ordered some stuff about it from The Tapping Solution website. There is also stuff on YouTube to get you started. Search Nick Ortner.
    Mama to :
    DS1 (July 2011)
    DD (Feb 2014-June 2015)
    DS2 (Apr 2017)

"You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view...Until you climb inside his skin and walk around in it."
    --Atticus Finch (To Kill A Mockingbird)

Love this book https://www.amazon.com/Burnout-Secre...7045508&sr=8-2 Brene Brown recently discussed the book on her podcast https://brenebrown.com/podcast/brene...-stress-cycle/
    Mama to my three:
    DD 2/2003
    DD 5/2006
    DS 3/2010

Try the Head Space App--very good with short meditation sessions. I live for my monthly sessions with my therapist. Really helps. Getting enough sleep--then I can deal so much better. Exercise 4-5x a week. Hard cardio for 30-60 minutes. Anxiety meds help me a ton as well.
    Mom to:
    DS '02
    DS '05
    Percy--the wild furry child!!! 2022----
    Simon--the first King Charles cutie 2009-2022
    RIP Andy, the furry first child, 1996-2012

"The task of any religion is not to tell us who we are entitled to hate but to teach us who we are required to love."

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast