Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Cook once eat all week Cookbook? Update in post 16t

Curious if anyone has tried this? I just ordered based on the rec from Minimal Mom on YouTube (LOVE her). Just curious if any of ya'll have feedback!

Update: http://chasingsantee.com/cook-once-e...view-week-one/
    Last edited by Melaine; 12-09-2020 at 10:26 AM.

jgenie is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I’ve never heard of it but would love to hear feedback once you’ve tried it.

I've never heard of it either, but I worry about eating leftovers for so long. If you are cooking meat, shouldn't 7 day old meat-based leftovers not be eaten? My parents keep telling me to stop eating leftovers after day 3, but I've been known to go to 4 or 5 days of eating leftovers. Fortunately, I have the "iron gut" in my family. DH definitely doesn't eat leftovers after 3 days and my kids will have stomach issues if they try to eat leftovers past 4 days.

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by smiles33 View Post
    I've never heard of it either, but I worry about eating leftovers for so long. If you are cooking meat, shouldn't 7 day old meat-based leftovers not be eaten? My parents keep telling me to stop eating leftovers after day 3, but I've been known to go to 4 or 5 days of eating leftovers. Fortunately, I have the "iron gut" in my family. DH definitely doesn't eat leftovers after 3 days and my kids will have stomach issues if they try to eat leftovers past 4 days.
    Glad someone else had the same idea. I’ve always been hesitant about leftovers after a few days. Ditto for uncooked food left in the fridge for too long.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains

I'm comfortable with pretty much all leftovers for 4 days, and certain things for 5, but I agree -- there aren't a lot of things I would eat after more than 5 days! Something like a red pasta sauce without meat or a ham, but I can't think of much else!
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

From a couple of the sample menus, it looks like their plan is that you cook Monday and then eat variations on those things Tues-Thurs, so about three days later. If I was worried, I would freeze the meat on Monday for Wed/Thurs.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

(not having ever heard of this blog or book) I think it is more like bulk cooking. Like cook up a pound of ground beef and use part that day and save the other part for later in the week. Dice up and sautee all of your onions, peppers...shred your cheese...just get everything ready to assemble at the last minute. I frequently do the meat stuff- I love having things in my freezer ready to add to casseroles, soups, sauces...

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I just looked -it looks like you prep one protein (ground beef, chicken etc) and one main vegetable and then use those 2 ingredients as the basis for 3 meals. So, it's not exactly for the whole week- I guess if you are a small family or do double batches you could eat the same meal twice as leftovers. The reviews were mostly positive and the idea does seem good- I might check it out.

I have it, and like it. Than being said, I only prep 2 of the 3 meals the weeks we use it. The amount of food and same protein works better for my family and our schedules only doing 2. Each meal ends up being a dinner and lunch. On a positive note, my 15 year old loves to use it, and will often do the prep herself.

Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cckwmh View Post
    I have it, and like it. Than being said, I only prep 2 of the 3 meals the weeks we use it. The amount of food and same protein works better for my family and our schedules only doing 2. Each meal ends up being a dinner and lunch. On a positive note, my 15 year old loves to use it, and will often do the prep herself.
    I was thinking this would be a great way for my 14 year olds to get more cooking practice. They do some basic cooking and tons of baking but this would be nice and seems like it really breaks down the steps for prep also. Glad to hear your teen likes it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast