Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Source for cloth reusable gift bags?

Many of you have talked about reusing the amazon "gift" bags to cover gifts, and we only have one of those bags. It's been so useful, and I'd like to have more - like 18ish bags. Has anyone ordered a set inexpensively? Or do you have a pattern for making them?

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I bought some last year at Bed, Bath and Beyond. I don't remember the regular prices, as I got them after Christmas.

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I would think they'd be super easy to make - maybe even using old outgrown clothes (now I'm thinking about doing this!). There are lots of simple tutorials online. Cut your fabric (you need 2 pieces of the same size and shape, I'm assuming square or rectangle for simplicity). Choose which side you want to be the top and hem it (just fold a half inch or so down towards the "wrong" side of the fabric, and stitch straight across. Do this separately with both pieces of fabric). Then, stack your 2 pieces together, wrong sides facing out. Sew a straight stitch along the other 3 sides. Then flip inside out. Insert gift, tie with ribbon, and done. You could get fancy with drawstring channels, zipper closures, button closures, etc. But this would be the easiest. Old flannel holiday pajamas or other outgrown holiday clothes would be perfect for this! Old holiday sheets would be perfect for this too.

Depending on the size you need, holiday themed pillow cases could work.
    DS 2/14
    DD 8/17

jgenie is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by twowhat? View Post
    I would think they'd be super easy to make - maybe even using old outgrown clothes (now I'm thinking about doing this!). There are lots of simple tutorials online. Cut your fabric (you need 2 pieces of the same size and shape, I'm assuming square or rectangle for simplicity). Choose which side you want to be the top and hem it (just fold a half inch or so down towards the "wrong" side of the fabric, and stitch straight across. Do this separately with both pieces of fabric). Then, stack your 2 pieces together, wrong sides facing out. Sew a straight stitch along the other 3 sides. Then flip inside out. Insert gift, tie with ribbon, and done. You could get fancy with drawstring channels, zipper closures, button closures, etc. But this would be the easiest. Old flannel holiday pajamas or other outgrown holiday clothes would be perfect for this! Old holiday sheets would be perfect for this too.
    This is such a great idea!! Thanks so much for posting it. We do family pjs every year. This is a great way to keep them once kids outgrow them!

bisous is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Wow, this just seems like such a fantastic idea. I love the idea of purchasing reusable bags (or maybe having my DH make them since he is more handy than I!) I'm sort of surprised that there are so few options for purchasing! Someone needs to seize on this idea!

Tenasparkl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I got a few sets on amazon last year. They arrived on Christmas Eve so I didn't get to use them since everything was already wrapped.

I got these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...e?ie=UTF8&th=1

California is online now Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by gymnbomb View Post
    Depending on the size you need, holiday themed pillow cases could work.
    Wish I had thought of this before! A local group of neighbors held a drive-by driveway craft fair and one of the ladies had the cutest holiday pillow cases. I'm going to see if I can track her down. Thank you for the idea!

WatchingThemGrow is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Twowhat, thank you for the encouragement! Here is today’s project, once I go out and do my errands... repurposing several cute Christmas kitchen towels my neighbor has given me each year. I’ll turn them into gift bags! I’ll stitch them up hopefully and show you the outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by WatchingThemGrow View Post
    Twowhat, thank you for the encouragement! Here is today’s project, once I go out and do my errands... repurposing several cute Christmas kitchen towels my neighbor has given me each year. I’ll turn them into gift bags! I’ll stitch them up hopefully and show you the outcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fun!!! Yes, share your outcome! Kitchen towels sound like a great idea. For small gifts you could just fold one towel in half and only have to stitch up 2 sides (and don't have to worry about hemming assuming the towels are already hemmed all the way around). For larger gifts, you could stitch 2 kitchen towels back-to-back (again, not having to worry about hemming!). If they're at all wrinkled, iron first...that will make the sewing part so much easier. If you're cutting up old clothes, think through what hems you can repurpose so that you can skip the hemming step (e.g. with flannel pants, use the hem at the bottom of the leg as the top of your bag, unless it's a pattern that would look upside-down. You can open up your flannel pant legs by separating them at the side seam to get an even larger piece of fabric, and pair it with the other leg to get an even larger bag.). Have fun!!
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-05-2020 at 11:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast