Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default suggestions for help after hand surgery?

Hey Everyone...

A family member had surgery recently, and has lost some use in the dominate hand. Docs expect at least some of that is long-term. Things are hard to grip, and things like cutting/slicing and buttons are hard.

Any suggestions for gifts to help?

klwa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

-Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had carpal tunnel surgery three years ago and the things that were the most painful to do were:
    1. Twisting door handles, so maybe see about refitting doors with lever handles vs knobs;
    2. Almost everything in the kitchen, so a meal train from my friends was invaluable, plus perhaps help by going through fridge to put stuff in containers that are easier to open;
    3. Clothing! I stopped wearing a bra! It was still winter so I just layered, elastic waist pants, there was no way I could have zipped and buttoned. Pull-over tops. Slip on shoes.
    4. TMI alert! Wiping! So awkward and painful! Wipes helped and consider a bidet?
    5. Car maintenance: tire pressure and fluid checks were impossible without help.

My surgery was 100% successful but it did take a lot of time for my twisting strength to come back. And probably 18 months to 2 years before I could get myself up off the floor by putting my hand down for leverage. Hope this helps!
    DS 2/09

Smillow is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Easy open/easy close water bottle! I don’t know how many water bottles emptied out on me because I couldn’t tighten them adequately!

eta: shoe horn? IKEA has really long ones.
    Last edited by Smillow; 12-04-2020 at 10:32 AM.
    DS 2/09

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

2 broken wrists and 3 surgeries under my belt on my dominant hand.

One of the jar opener things - the triangle thing to leaver the lid off. An electric can opener or one with large grips. Utensils/pen/brush with larger grips. Oversized clothing - esp coats. If they're oversized, they sort of wrap and I didnt have to zip them. They also fit over my casted hand. Those bungee cord shoe lace things. or slip ons. Help figuring out how to use google to dictate. Its not hard but some people need help. Then typing becomes limited.
    dd1 10/05
    dd2 11/09
    and ... a mini poodle!

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

After 1 (badly) broken wrist and 2 surgeries, I’ll echo the PPs. In particular, clothes that are easy-on and comfy — I stocked up on LE soft knit elastic waist pants and oversized tees. I wasn’t ready to abandon bras entirely so I learned to fasten the hooks and then slip them on over my head — awkward, but it worked.

The rehab people (especially OTs, who were the main hand rehab folks) had many suggestions for items that made things easier like large grips for existing silverware or pens, sticky plastic sheets that held jars etc stable. And don’t forget to get easy-open meds (either non-childproof lids or daily med dispensers or something).

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains