Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ang79 is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by westwoodmom04 View Post
    This, we are putting on our masks and carrying on with normal errands and appointments.
    I still do a weekly or bi-weekly grocery run but don't take the kids with me. Mask and hand sanitize as soon as I get back to my car. Make my trips as fast as I can and try to go when it is not as crowded. If things continue to get worse here, I may go back to curbside pick up or delivery, but I really prefer to pick out my own produce in person.

essnce629 is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We started getting all health stuff taken care of again in August. The kids had their eye appointments and I just picked up their new glasses and contacts last week. During my routine eye exam last month it was discovered I had developed corneal ectasia in my left eye, which is an extremely rare side effect of LASIK which I had 5 years ago. I just underwent an eye procedure 2 days ago to stop the progression. I found a breast lump 2 weeks ago and after seeing my regular Dr I was sent for an ultrasound and diagnostic mammogram the week of Thanksgiving (it's just a cyst). DS1 gets his wisdom teeth out in 2.5 weeks. I have my annual physical next week and I scheduled the kids' for January. The kids and I have all had our teeth cleaned since August. I've still been getting IV iron infusions about every 8 weeks or so.

Sent from my SM-A515U1 using Tapatalk
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

Kestrel is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Don't forget to think about your insurance, too. If you wait until next month, that goes on next years' insurance. For some it won't matter, but for something like dental it might.

DS got his much-delayed dental in early Nov, Peds with shots in August. DH did his stuff telehealth, except his blood draw and he said they were excellent in precautions. My Dr is next week - not ideal, but has to done on a specific schedule. I purposely scheduled first appointment of the day. just to be extra careful. That's a helpful hint for you!

MSWR0319 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

We are doing medical appointments as safely as can be done. DS dislocated his knee in Sept and about a month ago after it hadn't healed they recommended therapy. He's been going to PT three times a week. He's also got a wart he's been getting treated monthly with beetle juice and managed to break his arm, so we've had multiple appointments. I had an appt in Nova to remove a lipoma that I had scheduled in April and no way was I cancelling that because it would take forever to get back in. We mask up well, get in and out as quick as possible, and make sure we clean our hands with sanitizer immediately and again when we get in the house. Our allergist isn't doing spiro tests for asthma right now, and if they are absolutely needed, they are doing them only after you've had a covid test and then quarantined, so I feel like medical facilities are doing their best to stay safe. We try our best to schedule the first appointment of the morning or the first appointment after lunch because I know they are cleaning extra during lunch breaks as well.

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Prioritizing Medical Care Right Now

We’re keeping up with appointments. If they can be done virtually, great. Otherwise I’m really not that worried. I mean, I am worried and our stats are bad here but I feel medical offices have good protocols in place. Dh just had a colonoscopy and I sat in my car for like 3.5 hours vs the waiting room.

Sent from my iPhone using Baby Bargains

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We have continued to get health stuff taken care of - annual well-checks, vaccinations, screenings (colonoscopy, mammogram), other specialty health needs (e.g. cardiology). Doctors' offices and hospitals seem to be one of the safest places to go, as they are very strict with their covid processes - everyone always masked/shielded/surfaces cleaned, limiting to one parent for child appts, etc. Any surgical procedure has required a covid pcr test a couple of days in advance, with the hospital being the one to schedule and perform the test (so people can't just go get whatever test, like an antigen test).

Dentist- we have been keeping up with regular cleanings and other appointments with our adult and pediatric dentists ONLY because I have seen and trust their processes. They personally spray our hands as we walk in. Everyone is wearing an N95 or KN95 AND a surgical or cloth mask over it AND wearing face shields or goggles when working on a patient, scrub caps, limiting people waiting in waiting rooms, and disinfecting practically every surface including pens.

Vision - we have gotten our eyes checked, everyone was masked and we opted out of the glaucoma test. Our kids' eyesight changes so quickly that we kind of had to do this.

Orthodontist...only been once and it made me uncomfortable because the office staff were not masked (though the orthodontist and techs were). This was back in July when things were "good" here. Now that it's so much worse, I hope that the orthodontist office has wised up on their process. Both DDs really need to see the orthodontist, as this is the time they need to be getting/continuing braces and other orthodontics work. I am going to call them on Monday and ask what their covid processes are...at a VERY minimum every person in that office needs to be masked 100% of the time. It would be better if they doubled up (mask + face shield). It would be better if they were wearing N95s. If they aren't 100% masking, then we are just going to wait. Adults get braces, so any delay in our kids' braces theoretically could be fixed, right?? And fortunately right now, DD2 has finished Phase 1 and has no hardware in her mouth and DD1 has no hardware either because she still has baby teeth that need to come out. But DD2 really needs to start Phase 2 and DD1 probably really needs an expander. Ugh.

So in general I agree with making sure your health needs don't fall behind, including your regular well-visits.
    Last edited by twowhat?; 12-04-2020 at 08:32 PM.

mom2binsd is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Doctors offices are being very very cautious. They will probably make you text before coming in, no sitting in a waiting room etc. All staff wearing masks and face shields, honestly there is no reason really not to go and it's important to take care of your health.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NCGrandma is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Prioritizing Medical Care Right Now

I’ve kept up pretty well with routine medical visits although there were several months in late Spring/early Summer when all non-emergency visits were postponed so a bit longer intervals than usual. Unfortunately none of my regular visits could be done via telehealth (can’t check eye pressure or freeze skin stuff remotely!).

I’ve been impressed with the precautions that all these various offices have taken and haven’t hesitated to go, although the first time or two it seemed very strange to leave my apartment for any reason.

My CCRC offered a well-distanced flu shot clinic here at the end of September, run by CVS pharmacists, and there was pretty much the usual turnout. I think they already have at least preliminary plans for CVS to do a COVID vaccine clinic here whenever that becomes possible.

Sent from my iPad using Baby Bargains
    Last edited by NCGrandma; 12-04-2020 at 09:08 PM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We rescheduled DD's cardiologist from May to September. We did the same with her dental cleaning.

For DD, because of her heart, dental health is actually as much of a priority as her cardiologist because of the relationship between bacteria that cause tooth decay and the circulatory system.

I also went for my eye exam, having run out of contacts over the summer, but did not need glaucoma testing or pupil dilation this visit. The optometrist's office is tiny, the staff are extremely compliant, and since the bulk of their clientele are senior citizens, they have been EXTREMELY cautious w/r/t maximum numbers of people in the office at any time, masks, etc.

That said, we do telehealth for as much as we can, including her infected big toe which flared up again at the start of our stay-at-home orders (if the skin tag is in a photographable place, I might lean towards this, but I'm not a dermatologist) and most of her med-checks, and only go into the office when it can't be avoided.

I think I would prioritize your DS1's endo visit (could be life or death considering his T1 diabetes) and your DD's school physical for ASAP, schedule the dental visits for March, and see if the derm thinks telehealth with video/photos for the skin tag is feasible for diagnostic purposes.
    Last edited by lizzywednesday; 12-04-2020 at 10:48 PM.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

The kids have been to the dentist and ophthalmologist. DS1 also had his physical in August and DS2 will have his physical in February. I've been to the dentist and ENT. I had an ultrasound and mammogram over the summer to monitor a cyst and will go back again in February. The dentist and ENT appointments were rescheduled for the fall after they were cancelled in the spring. I had a physical in the spring that got cancelled, but I actually got the blood work in right before shutdown and the numbers were all fine from that.

We've also had virtual dermatology and developmental pediatrician appointments. DH just had a virtual physical but will go in to get the blood work done.

I've felt very safe at all of our appointments and would not hesitate to schedule one if they were medically necessary.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast